I know very little about sound, but I know about TVs.

It was suggested to me to buy a Sonos system for my tiny TV room (8x10). It is pricey with the amp, sound bar, a rear ceiling speakers.

I was thinking maybe some Boston Acoustic wall speakers in the back, a BA sub, a Klipsch sound bar and maybe a Marantz Amp. The second option will save me about $500

Any suggestions otherwise or opinions about the Sonos?

Really depends what you are looking for. Sonos is a lot more than speakers. It lets you stream your local music collection and stream from internet services like rdio and spotify. You can also set up different zones in your house as you add speakers. Incredibly cool technology.

That being said if you just want a nice sound system it doesn't make sense to buy Sonos because you can get better sounding gear for less money.

If you want all the cool tech it doesn't get much better than Sonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend a Sonos bridge. Just hook your own receiver up to it & you have a very cost effective way to stream music via your phone & home computer. I own 4 bridges for multiple zones in my home. I have had their system since 2007 & am a huge fan. You can easily take it with you when you move vs. a costly in wall system as well.

i have a couple of systems (big one, office, wife's) and have psb speakers in one. psb and paradigm are both canadian manufacturers and make fine products and would likely be able to take care of your speaker needs. warning, audio is as addictive as cc's and much more expensive…but lots of fun. i do not mix audio and tv so will leave the rest to others. good luck

Is your aim to do 5.1 for movies or are you interested in regular 2 channel music at all? If you are interested in the latter then a bar doesn't make a lot of sense - those things tend to not reproduce music as faithfully as they do dialogue, etc.

I would not go with Sonos unless you have a real need for the multi-room functionality. If you just want simple 5.1 for movies and TV, then I'd recommend a cheap discrete system with real speakers for each unit over a sound bar. I just have never heard one that's even come close to discrete 5.1 systems. If you're looking to stay on the cheap side, you could look at a HTIB (Home Theater In A Box) system that comes bundled with a receiver. Onkyo makes some decent stuff here. If you're looking for discrete 5.1 with "real" speakers from Polk, Klipsch, etc. then having a budget would help me make some recs.

• Like 1

Mostly for movies and TV. Not so much music.

Not enough room for standing speakers. The room is 8 ft wide on the wall where the TV is, and the entrance is at that same wall, so REALLY no room for standing speakers.

Budget is around 1500, but I can double if something truly incredible is out there.

+2 on the soundbar and wireless sub.

If you want some higher end stuff look for a Bang & Olufsen dealer in your area to demo their product for you. They have been making some phenomenal stuff ever since I can remember first seeing them in the 80's and seemed ahead of their time. They used to have a book size system that sounded better than any small home theater system in it's day. Even their older stuff retains value if you look on ebay what people are asking and selling their stuff at.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en

Me, I'm a old HIFi lover of the big house shaking gear in home and auto, Pioneer elite, MacInstosh, Big Cerwin Vega's, Rockford Fosgate, Xtant etc.

However the gear you selected is ok as well. Just pick a receiver that does all you want for like phone interface, 7.2 Channel, Blu Ray, 3d, Wireless speakers and output etc. If you want to go on the cheap. http://www.amazon.co... theater system

Do they actually make speakers more loud and obnoxious than you are???

rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gif

For such a small room , 100% go with a soundbar and wireless woofer.

For TV and movies etc. they are perfect, will project the sound all over the room.

I have brought the Yamaha one for a friend:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/yamaha-ysp-2200_Surround-Sound-System_review

It isn't the strongest or the best but it gives a very good bang for the buck.

For such a small room, a very complex setup will give very little in sound quality and be extremely difficult to set up

• Like 1

We are the most expensive place in the world for all that is good potty.gif

Aint that the truthtantrum.gif

Suggestion 1:

Get yourself good open/closed year headphones, with customizable wires

Suggestion 2:

Such a small room, leave budget for sound proofing. No matter how good of a soubd system you have, all that sound bouncing off the walls isn't going to be enjoyable.

Just even at the very least, a few tiles of sound absorbing foam is going make the most out of your money's worth

Shlomo, because your room is so small and it seems your need is for a small, not-too-pricey surround set-up, I'd recommend a decent surround receiver like a Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha and then pair that with one of the Bose Acoustimass speaker systems. Out the door for less than $2k, and the sound will be quite good.

Axiom is awesome, and all-Canadian (in fact, my brother's their senior designer), but not cheap and not small.

I have a set of Mirage Omnisat 6's which are easily hung on the wall and sound great (very wide image for the immersive movie experience), but sadly they aren't made anymore. Consider shopping used - Canuck Audio Mart is a good stop.

Sonos is pretty good. What are you trying to achieve? A home theatre system?

I don't think just slapping a Sonos in their is going to improve very much.

I would start with a AVR (preferably Marantz or Denon), then look into a center speaker, and floor speaker setup. Paradigm makes a great, cheap center speaker as well as nicer ones in your budget. Try to match the floor speaker and center speaker in terms of brand because they will produce a more uniform sound together.

If it's better for you, I would check out audiogon.com and you can search for great equipment used there.

The AVR can power the 3 speakers for now, but eventually... you would need a 3 Channel amp to produce an even better sound...

A sub is not that important. For what you are looking for, I suggest a really good center speaker. The center speaker does all the dialogue, talking, anything voice related the center speaker takes over...

For wires, you can look to build your own at monoprice.com or bluejean.

Goodluck! Audio can be just as addicting as collecting and smoking cigars.

For such a small room , 100% go with a soundbar and wireless woofer.

For TV and movies etc. they are perfect, will project the sound all over the room.

I have brought the Yamaha one for a friend:

http://www.trustedre...d-System_review

It isn't the strongest or the best but it gives a very good bang for the buck.

For such a small room, a very complex setup will give very little in sound quality and be extremely difficult to set up

I have to agree with this. Get a really good receiver, a high quality sound bar, a nice big woofer, and you'll fill that room. Anything more and it'll be tough to get balanced. There's a lot of higher end manufacturers making sound bars now (Bowers&Wilkins, Klipsch, Polk, Bang&Olufsen, GoldenEar, Paradigm, Definitive Technology).

I know very little about sound, but I know about TVs.

It was suggested to me to buy a Sonos system for my tiny TV room (8x10). It is pricey with the amp, sound bar, a rear ceiling speakers.

I was thinking maybe some Boston Acoustic wall speakers in the back, a BA sub, a Klipsch sound bar and maybe a Marantz Amp. The second option will save me about $500

Any suggestions otherwise or opinions about the Sonos?

I have the Bose Lifestyle T20 Home Theater System, and it ROCKS!!! It would save you half the cost; so now you can roll than savings into a really nice box of cigars :)

I have the Bose Lifestyle T20 Home Theater System, and it ROCKS!!! It would save you half the cost; so now you can roll than savings into a really nice box of cigars smile.png

Thats some itty bitty writing...lol

I am actually Anti-Bose. I really don't think they are produce anywhere near the rich sound that older 30+ year old systems from them do. They seem to have gotten lazy with sound and spent more on advertising and small sizes...

Buy Other Sound Equipment holds true for me. Thanks for the option though.