Best Pizza in NYC

Carts

Going to be down in New York City next week for a couple of days and I'm wondering what is the best (in your opinion) place to grab a pizza? I'd prefer ordering in as opposed to sitting in a restaurant.

Thanks in advance.

I don't live in NYC but we get down there several times a year and we usually always have pizza for a meal or at least a snack so I have sampled many different places. I love Ray's pizza. There are several of them in NYC, I actually did a google search the one time to find the first/original one and the pizza was outstanding!

Now you are really getting into a controversial area!

When I go , I look for a small independant place with a great smell. Always works for me.

I figured that's what I would do but I'd like to hear some input

I recommend ordering a pie from Chicago before you leave for NYC so it arrives while you are there. I know a couple places will overnight you an uncooked pizza that you can put in your oven. Probably your best bet as its impossible to find anything but floppy greasy slices in NYC.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Chicago pizza is not pizza; it's a casserole. Never touched the stuff when I lived in Chicago.

I would do a search on yelp, based on the area you will be staying at.

Chicago pizza is not a casserole. Casseroles don't have a crust and you can't eat them with your hands. If anything it's closer to an Italian pot pie with a firmer crust.

I kid about the Chicago vs. New York thing when it comes to pizza. I think they both have their place and both should be enjoyed. When I go to NYC I always find time for a big floppy slice here or there. It's good stuff.

This is a debate that shouldn't even occur anymore. They so completely different from each other that you can't compare them.

This is my topic. I travel to NYC every month or so, just for pizza. My better half makes the most amazing pizza and we went up 2 weeks ago for a pizza making class, wine included - loads of fun.

One of my all time favorite and where I keep going back is Keste on Bleecker St.

Its small and the wine is not 'great' but goes well with the pizza.

Try it.

"It will change your life" they waiter first told me in broken english. It did.

Will post a few others, later -gotta run to work!

http://kestepizzeria.com

John's on Bleecker, Lombardi's, if you are in Astoria I highly recommend Sac's Pizza.... and if you are looking for a chicago slice, head over to Emmett's on MacDougal....

have fun man, and if you want to kill some time and smoke a few, I'm usually at Hudson Bar and Books....

Chicago pizza is the best pizza. Period. Giordanos, Uno, deep dish, OOOOOHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHH

There are 9 bazillion Ray's varieties in NYC. Some are much better than others. The original (or so they say) was not all so super imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I enjoy pizza, doesn't matter what kind. I've always wanted to visit Lombardis, as I've heard it holds the place for oldest pizzeria in America. With that said, Neopolitan pizza (wood fired) is my choice when not eating deep dish. If you want deep dish and you are near Chicago the best pizza hands down is Pequods. They do a carmelized crust that I will kill for. yza7epu4.jpg

• Like 1

Chicago pizza is not pizza; it's a casserole. Never touched the stuff when I lived in Chicago.

I would do a search on yelp, based on the area you will be staying at.

They call it a pizza PIE for a reason...:P

Coal fired is the original and the one to try. The dough is incredible, and it's not something you take home. It won't taste the same after an hour of sitting. Absolute best are Luzzo's, Grimaldi's, Totonno's. Never been to Lombardi's (I know, pile on me. :()

Lucali's, Artichoke, Di Fara are also excellent. Never been to Robertas or Patsy's but heard great things.

Just stay away from open counter pizza shops...

John's on Bleecker, Lombardi's, if you are in Astoria I highly recommend Sac's Pizza.... and if you are looking for a chicago slice, head over to Emmett's on MacDougal....

have fun man, and if you want to kill some time and smoke a few, I'm usually at Hudson Bar and Books....

Will have to try some of those slices next time I'm up and look for you at Hudson B&B, many a Tuesday Whiskey night there.....or Lex B&B or Merchants if I'm uptown.

• 10 months later...

LOL at the thread - opinions are like axxholes

May I suggest to get an opinion of a NYC resident? Reasonable?

Former NYC resident, current NYC employee, an avid diner, and soon to be resident again in the city you MUST check out Kesté Pizza & Vino. Excellent traditionally made Neapolitan pies in a wood fired oven. It's still winter so you should be able to get a truffle pie which was out of this world delicious. Not just that but they're run by Italians and my server last time was from the same town my mother was born in by chance.

I'm almost disappointed with all of the avid smokers on here no one recommended Kesté :)

Anyone else know the dialect meaning of Kesté?