west australia's slaughter of sharks

*Hardy freakin' Har

Hey Ken: it did occur to me that there may be questions from SOME out there about how can there actual "expressions" on this bird's face??? From the photos I saw of the geese being held fast in these contraptions; a TUBE FORCED DOWN THEIR GULLET;

and the food being pumped down - YES! There IS a look of abject pain and misery in that face. As a long time pet owner it doesn't take having to see "smiles" or "frowns" on their faces to know there's something wrong if they're sick, not feeling good, have something going on with them. I'm not talking about bodily exputals, pus on their nose, moving slower than usual...but where they just have a pallor about them that as their owner, I can see something's not right. So detection can be done. For the farms that YOU saw in this film...I hope it IS a case of a lot more humane treatment...although it could have been film of what they wanted you to see...and then the selected geese were taken off to a torture chamber. I don't know. And believe me, I DON'T subscribe to PETA or those types of animal rights activists that spray paint people's fur coats, don't want people to have seeing eye dogs because "the dog will be uncomfortable!" and crap like that! I'm a meat eater. I love beef, chicken and so on. I believe that when it comes to humans compared to animals in MOST CASES humans' needs come way first. But I DON'T believe an animal should be needlessly tortured and tormented as in these labs, and being liver-bursted for Foie Gras, or have bleach deliberately rubbed into their eyes, extra-loud, sound barrier blasting loud noises played into their ears, being burned on the side of their bodies (of which they sever the vocal cords to keep from dealing with their screams), live animals being trussed up and having their ribs and chest broken due to blunt force trauma from hydraulic powered steel pounding bars to simulate auto accidents, and other such gruesome "experiments." There HAS to be a happy meeting ground for all sides concerned IMHO when it comes to "Game of Life".

okay, all i have done is comment on the film i saw on one of the farms around strasbourg. it was not a farm film but done from outsiders - i don't think that the farm even knew it had been set up tho not sure on that. so it was not what they wanted us to see. in fact, i think the filmmakers were rather disappointed they didn't find something to expose.

i am not saying i support the practice, just relating what i saw.

they were not shoving tubes anywhere. rather, the geese were doing it all themselves. there was no pus, no pallor.

and with respect, where the hell did all the last part of that come from? none of it has ever been mentioned by me, let alone supported. and to link it in to one comment, in the manner you have, that was nothing more than a report of a film i saw is more than a bit offensive. i would have thought i had more posts on this forum than anyone to make it very clear i would be utterly opposed to that sort of behaviour.

as for the look on the face of birds and attributing human emotions, i've kept and bred birds since i was a little kid - finches, quails, parrots and others. as well as endless other pets. i think what you are suggesting re "misery" is, with respect, a load of crap. a sick animal is something different. a vet or scientist might be able to tell us whether a bird even has the facial muscles to allow it to give such an impression.

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree completely. Killing grizzlies because they're a danger to hikers, killing wolves because they're a danger to your herds, killing sharks because they're a danger to surfers; it's all totally in

okay, all i have done is comment on the film i saw on one of the farms around strasbourg. it was not a farm film but done from outsiders - i don't think that the farm even knew it had been set up tho

Saw a doc on the slaughter of sharks for the fins, very sad. I always feel like a hippocrit though as im a meat eater and think nothing of the slaughter of pigs, chickens and cows. The slaughter of th

You hate geese!

actually, while i in no way equate my feelings towards geese with foie gras, geese and camels are two animals that do not make my top ten. had forgotten about my encounter with a goose in inner melbourne till you mentioned that. the dear animal chased me up a high wooden fence in central melbourne, wearing nothing but jocks, on very cold winter's morning. and had me trapped there for an embarrassingly long time.

i heard later that the very same goose, having been given to a farm, annoyed an entire herd of cattle which promptly stampeded over the top of him, leaving nothing but a few feathers. i didn't shed many tears.

as for camels, bad tempered, evil creatures.

actually, while i in no way equate my feelings towards geese with foie gras, geese and camels are two animals that do not make my top ten. had forgotten about my encounter with a goose in inner melbourne till you mentioned that. the dear animal chased me up a high wooden fence in central melbourne, wearing nothing but jocks, on very cold winter's morning. and had me trapped there for an embarrassingly long time.

i heard later that the very same goose, having been given to a farm, annoyed an entire herd of cattle which promptly stampeded over the top of him, leaving nothing but a few feathers. i didn't shed many tears.

as for camels, bad tempered, evil creatures.

Llamas are nasty pieces of work too - they're like camels with a masked inferiority complex that makes them angry, unpredictable and flighty. They also spit evil smelling gunk at you through gapped teeth. Kind of like Madonna on a bad hair day with a mouth full of parsley and anchovies.

Skyfall. If I was referring to the unholy tempest of the sharknado I would be suggesting MUCH bigger ordinance.

"Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" -Aliens

You hate geese!

Once upon a time when I had a house and acreage lookaround.gif I thought it would be nice to buy a flock of 6 Chinese Geese to roam the pasture. Serously beautiful animals.

Sat down on the grass with a bottle of wine and a cigar surveying the bliss all around me.

6 Chinese geese made a beeline toward me and pecked the crap out of me while honking to "get a life". They took my CORO and made it into mulch.

I hate Geese today. I eat Fois Gras every chance I can get lol3.gif

• Like 1

Once upon a time when I had a house and acreage lookaround.gif I thought it would be nice to buy a flock of 6 Chinese Geese to roam the pasture. Serously beautiful animals.

Sat down on the grass with a bottle of wine and a cigar surveying the bliss all around me.

6 Chinese geese made a beeline toward me and pecked the crap out of me while honking to "get a life". They took my CORO and made it into mulch.

I hate Geese today. I eat Fois Gras every chance I can get lol3.gif

i know a herd of cattle that can solve your problems.

so let me get his right..the sharks come up on to the beach,between the flags and eat people..unbelievable....or do people go swimmimg in the sharks domain,where they live..WAKE UP..Don't get me f-------g started....u swim and get eaten,your problem,no one made you swim in the ocean.go to a friggin pool

i know a herd of cattle that can solve your problems.

I dont trust an animal bigger than I lmao.gif

Macho once took me branding (his cattle). I did 3 and he never invited me again. Mind you I love cattle, aged 120 days and prepackaged on styrofoam.

so let me get his right..the sharks come up on to the beach,between the flags and eat people..unbelievable....or do people go swimmimg in the sharks domain,where they live..WAKE UP..Don't get me f-------g started....u swim and get eaten,your problem,no one made you swim in the ocean.go to a friggin pool

Nice. However, If I can dominate that domain (nets etal) then it is mine. Plenty of Ocean to go and cruise.

Macho once took me branding (his cattle). I did 3 and he never invited me again. Mind you I love cattle, aged 120 days and prepackaged on styrofoam.

was that his miniature waygu?

and presumably back when he was speaking to other humans. one slightly offensive comment. some people are so sensitive.

was that his miniature waygu?

and presumably back when he was speaking to other humans. one slightly offensive comment. some people are so sensitive.

You are the master of the "one" insensitive comment lol3.gif

They were Angus. He pegged me for useless. Apparently his MM Brand wasn't suppose to be WW.

You are the master of the "one" insensitive comment lol3.gif

They were Angus. He pegged me for useless. Apparently his MM Brand wasn't suppose to be WW.

you should have told him that when the thing died and went belly up, all would be good.

and he deserved a lot more than that one comment, but he was not the only one.

you should have told him that when the thing died and went belly up, all would be good.

and he deserved a lot more than that one comment, but he was not the only one.

Don't ever portray yourself as Joan of Arc.

I must say that I am shocked, and apparently sheltered. As a Yank, for all of my adult life (I'm 45), I have been under the impression that Australians were some of the first environmentalists, and that they not only understood the balance between sport (as in rules that attempt a balance) and conservation, but promoted it at the highest levels. I am glad to see that the majority of what I would consider sensible, educated and civilized people, who frequent this forum are opposed to this barbaric practice.

I'm not a fan of seeing a defenseless animal slaughtered in ITS natural environment because it MAY be a threat to a non-native animal entertaining itself in the animal's natural environment (a slight twist to swimming with the fishes). wink2.gif

I wish you all well in your next elections.

I must say that I am shocked, and apparently sheltered. As a Yank, for all of my adult life (I'm 45), I have been under the impression that Australians were some of the first environmentalists, and that they not only understood the balance between sport (as in rules that attempt a balance) and conservation, but promoted it at the highest levels. I am glad to see that the majority of what I would consider sensible, educated and civilized people, who frequent this forum are opposed to this barbaric practice.

I'm not a fan of seeing a defenseless animal slaughtered in ITS natural environment because it MAY be a threat to a non-native animal entertaining itself in the animal's natural environment (a slight twist to swimming with the fishes). wink2.gif

I wish you all well in your next elections.

I was once upon time much of your view.

However a friend of mine took his family to Fraser Island (Waddy Point) for a holiday. His two youngest went for a walk. They were stalked by Dingoes (australian native wild dogs) . Google up Cage Fraser Island dingoes "News".

The youngest was taken down. The eldest ran back to the campsite to get his dad. Dad arrived with the dingoes feeding on entrails. He picked up his dead son (9) and started running back. the Dingoes attacked his eldest (10/12). He had to drop his dead son to save his other.

This only occurred because people believe that animals have rights superior to humans. If it was me going through that trauma I would spend a lifetime killing every one of the "last" pure dingoes on the planet. I wouldn't care.

No father deserves to see the entrails of their son spilled on the sand. Same for sharks. Piss them off using nets or whatever, but this is our domain (50 m from the beach), not theirs.

I was once upon time much of your view.

However a friend of mine took his family to Fraser Island (Waddy Point) for a holiday. His two youngest went for a walk. They were stalked by Dingoes (australian native wild dogs) . Google up Cage Fraser Island dingoes "News".

The youngest was taken down. The eldest ran back to the campsite to get his dad. Dad arrived with the dingoes feeding on entrails. He picked up his dead son (9) and started running back. the Digoes attacked his eldest (10/12). He had to drop his dead son to save his other.

This only occurred because people believe that animals have rights superior to humans. If it was me gong through that trauma I would spend a lifetime killing every one of the "last" pure dingoes on the planet. I wouldn't care.

No father deserves to see the entrails of their son spilled on the sand. Same for sharks. Piss them off using nets or whatever, but this is our domain (50 m from the beach), not theirs.

no question that was appalling and a horrific tragedy but at the time, there was bugger all push for dingo's rights or anything of that ilk.

i know we both remember it well - it happened right where i go every year.

basically, people had forgotten that this was a wild animal. they would treat them as cute dogs. occasionally someone would get nipped. nothing much was done. but the rangers (no idea who came up with the stupid decision) of the time either decided or were ordered to shoot all the brumbies on the island. being wild horses, they were not natural and so it was decided to rid the island of them. not sure how much damage they were doing and they were certainly a spectacular part of the island. at that time, dingos were largely tolerated around visitors to the island. indeed, they were an attraction.

what no one had thought through was that the brumbies were a major source of food for the island's dingos. so suddenly, as these animals were shot from the air, the dingos lost a major source of food. they suddenly and out of necessity became far more "active" around humans. most of it not too much of a problem - morons aside (i remember seeing one braindead gibbering idiot woman on her hands and knees with a sausage in her mouth, trying to feed the dingos - and she'd have been the first to scream if it bit her) - but in the case of the poor child, he was not with an adult and turned and ran - no issue with any of that, but it fired up the dingos to chase and attack.

the dingos were put in the position because of the stupid decisions, not, on this occasion, by anyone defending animals rights.

but whatever the reason it was a tragedy and should never have happened.

Rob,

As the father of an 11-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son, I am in complete agreement with you, and meant no offense. But I don't think we can take two apex land mammals (wild dogs and humans) and make an apples to apples comparison to this case. If the sharks grew legs and preyed on bipeds, I'd be down with the hunt (I don't want to stray from the topic, but for reference, I do lean much further right than left in US politics). I hope you can understand my distinction, and again, I meant no offense to your friend or to you, and I can't imagine being in his situation; simply devastating.

Joe

While that is obviosuly a terrible thing to go through, i don't share the same opinion as you Pres. I would say our domain stops on the beach. Everything we do in life has associated risks, swimming in a pool, swimming in the ocean, crossing the road, flying, smoking, working, travelling... and we need need to be aware of these dangers for our own preservation. The water is a sharks domain, just like the wilderness is the domain of lions and dingoes and eagles and elephants. Even our cars have their own domain. When an idiot school kid tries to cross a major highway, do we blame the driver? Or the kid for being an idiot?

EDIT: Actually case in point, that drunk woman who stepped onto the moving freight train in Aus somehwere. It sure as **** is not the trains fault.

the problem for me about the dingo case, aside from the obvious tragedy, was that it was human interference and stupidity that caused it. dingos were being dingos.

more extreme but not unlike if an abattoir was dumping waste blood and products offshore and attracting sharks.

The culling decision is utter crap and further indication of the Nanny State Regime.

We live on a large, remote island, which by definition means we are surrounded by ocean waters containing many animals that most of us wouldn't want to come face to face with given the choice.

It's not rocket science - swim between the flags or alternatively, acknowledge the fact you could be nominated for a Darwin award. We all have the ability to assess risk and make our own choices.

Humans for the most part flaunt the fact we are now supposedly 'outside the food chain', resulting in more folk prepared to challenge fate and blame others for their own choices.

Yes, I choose to smoke cigars. Wild and crazy me clown2.gif. Would I blame a shark for nibbling on my rib cage if I was in it's domain? Hell no.

Yes, me too - LOVE me a good steak. But you said Macho never invited you again for the cattle branding. Could it have been that maybe you had tad bit of difficulty sticking that red hot iron onto their flesh and experiencing the trauma they went through while having to be held down? If that was the case then nobody here (I would think) would be too critical of you!