This thread has inspired me to give my safety razor another try. After watching some youtube videos and reading this thread, I've had much better success. In the past, my biggest mistake was applying pressure during the shave which was the absolute worst thing I could have done. I am currently using Feather blades but will probably experiement with others to see if there is a difference. I've been using a brush for years and recently started using Truefitt & Hill's No. 10 shave cream. I also enjoy their post shave cologne. I had been using the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power which has given me good results but I will be more than happy to ditch the cost of replacement cartridges. I could easily buy a Merkur Vision with the money I spend on cartridges yearly.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got a vintage Gillette slims. Now i understand all the the fuss about vintage Gillette, its an awesome product. Isotonic, once you've refined your technique you can up it to 3 passes, With th

Razor?

I forgot to put in my set up, here it goes.

Exactly Dozer... I got decent shaves out of the Fusion ProGlide too but the cartridges are almost worth stealing they are so expensive. So instead took the DE plunge with start up costs of about $150 for top notch razor, 100 feathers, creams, brush, pre & posts. No brainer

If anybody would like a 5 pack of astra blades just drop me a pm.

I will send you a pack to try at no cost. Always happy to help out guys on this forum.

They are utterly amazing. Sharpness of a feather but smooth as a gillette sensor excel!

At least on my skin anyway and i have quite a thick beard with heavy growth.

A lady was giving me a shave in portugal with a straight razor. She took one swipe and said "your irish arent you?" I asked her how she knew and she said my beard hair was like copper filament lol

We should all put our heads together for a group buy for some nice trufitt and hill shaving cream in the run up to christmas. We could probably save a few bucks/quid

Whos in?

We should all put our heads together for a group buy for some nice trufitt and hill shaving cream in the run up to christmas. We could probably save a few bucks/quid

Whos in?

I'm easily convinced, however I'm not familiar with their products. What do you recommend?

I'm easily convinced, however I'm not familiar with their products. What do you recommend?

I'd recommend going to their site and ordering a sampler pack. I have gone through a lot of what they have to offer and ended up sticking with sandlewood.

I don't really need any shaving cream right now but if it helps out with the group buy I'd pick up another thing of their shave cream. I know members of Badger and Blade receive a discount on their products.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm transitioning over to a straight razor right now. I've had it for a few weeks and no trips to the emergency room yet. Since I'm still learning I go slow so I don't have time to use it in the morning during the week. The straight razor will be my weekend thing at least until I'm more efficient with it. I don't want to have to be in a rush when handling my straight.

• 1 month later...

Well, this thread inspired me back when Stevie posted it.... and I purchased one of the Vision 2000s.

After a month now, I am stoked with the quality of shaves. I think that it shaves as close as my super sharp straight blade - with much less hassle and fuss! Much more enjoyable to use.

My 5 o'clock shadow now doesn't come till 9 oclock!

If you're new to the idea, but have an interest, I'd thoroughly recommend buying the razor, a pack of Feather or Astra Platinum blades, some high quality cream and the best badger brush you can afford. Your mornings will never be the same.

I love gillette fat boy razors, they are built like tanks which is why there are so many of them still in regular use.

I'm eyeing up a new razor myself lol...

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/feather-as-d2s-safety-razor-with-stand.php

Machined from solid blocks of stainless steel, I will have to hide the receipt from the girlfriend though!

Oh hey, this is a great topic. I started with a Merkur 38C a few years ago and moved up to the Sledgehammer angled Merkur.

Before using a safety razor I wasn't able to shave every morning because my skin would be so irritated from cartridge razors. Now shaving in the morning is an important a ritual as having a shower.

Cartridges are crap!!! I've been straight shaving for 3 years now & would never go back, or a least until I don't have a steady hand anymore. I have a Hart Steel straight & Dovo Shavette for when I'm travelling or lazy in the morning & don't want to strop. Truly best shave, no more ingrown hairs, a few new scars though lookaround.gif . At this point I'm saving money on my shaving by not buying cartridges. It's not for everyone though, DE's are low maintenance but jumping into a real straight razor is pricy & takes practice & maintenance, not a good choice for the impatient.

Agree with Cohiba Stevie Astra is second best to feather in terms of sharpness but much more forgiving.I got 100 Astra and 50 feathers so this should last me quite a while. Now i'm trying on a more low end of the spectrum what's available locally in Malaysia, Treet (seems to be the preferred brand by my barber), SuperMax (absolute crap), Topaz (apparently works well with Goodrej soap) all this are indian made if im not mistaken. I've tried Elios italian brand (not too bad but a lot of tug). I've got others which are samplers.

On brushes you cant go wrong with EJ best badger, highly recommended but then again Im itching to upgrade to a silver tip. And yes somebody commented price as high $500 - $600, its absolute madness. I might just do a custom brush probably be cheaper than the more established brand.

GREAT THREAD!

I picked up DE shaving about 4 years ago. I stumbled on a website called badgerandblade.com

Ever since then, I started hoarding. I have about 20 Simpson brushes, 25-30 razors, and tons and tons of Blades, creams, after shaves, and fine Italian soaps. This is a hobby that reminds me of cigar buying. Very similar. I encourage all beginners and experienced wet shavers to go to badgerandblade.com you will find that no other website in the world is quite like it. Many vendor are on there as well. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shaved with my Wacker 1/4 hollow str8 this morning. Favorite razor and way to shave...not to be rushed. The only way to take off a weeks growth!

Now I want to switch. Just this past Xmas wife bought me a Braun electric deal. I like it for the speed of it. But always looking to try something different.

Thanks for sharing.

Mate im not trying to denegratw your wifes very kind and thoughtful gift, but electric shavers are very bad for your skin...

An electric pre shave lotion is a good way to protect your skin beforehand.

• 8 months later...

I have wet shaved with a DE for about two years, beard and head. I use Feather blades as practically all other blades tug my beard. Mostly use Proraso cream with an Omega boar, but looking to get a whipped dog silvertip.

I did not go crazy with the acquisitions , bought an EJ89 when I started but am looking for an adjustable that can get way more aggressive.

I got into safety razors a couple years back. Currently I use.

Jagger DB9

Parker silver badger brush

Colonel Conk Evernice 775 razor stand

Colonel Conk Model 111 Santa Fe shave cup

Taylor of Old Bond Sandalwood Soap

Prorasso Pre/post shave cream

Prorasso Alcohol free aftershave balm

Best decision ever was to get rid of the old cartridge razor on the face. Still working my way slowly through the 175 blade sampler I picked up on Amazon. Pretty easy to get used to and though I have only nicked myself once, a friend practically needed a medic to stop the bleeding from all the nics he got on the first attempt.

Wow! I must be the only guy to shave both with and against the grain with cartridge shavers (Gillette Mach 3). Not close enough otherwise.

Tried straight razor a few years back and it took me at least 30 minutes to shave...and I would be exhausted afterwards...stressed out I was gonna slit my own throat! Gave it up...probably too early...gave my Dovo blades up to my best friend. Was the closest shave I ever got tho!

Just ordered a Gillette Fatboy from ebay...you guys have inspired me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me maybe five minutes to shave three day growth today. Step out of the shower and whip the soap up and slap it on, just did two quick passes and done. Probably goes as fast or faster than my cartridge cause I don't have to get out and mow it first. Everyday shave I'm just as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk