Thanks for the review...

I used to hate shaving and thought there must be a better way to do this. Searching on the internet I stumbled on DE/wet shaving. I've been strictly DE for the last 9 months to a year or so and have no plans on turning back.

Certainly wouldn't mind a sub forum. I lurk some over at B&B some but post rarely.

Currently I too use a 34C HD. I actually have 2 (one for traveling). For blades I almost always use feather although I do go to the black 7 O'clock on occasion. I have a Shavemac horn brush and a AoS pure badger (my first). My current shaving cream is Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood.

My goal just isn't the perfect shave. When I first started all I read about was the BBS but eventually I realized I was just trying to enjoy shaving more. I currently do a 2 pass WTG and XTG. Very rarely I may venture into a ATG shave.

Bottom line shaving is much more enjoyable now that I've made the switch to DE but I still have a lot to learn.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got a vintage Gillette slims. Now i understand all the the fuss about vintage Gillette, its an awesome product. Isotonic, once you've refined your technique you can up it to 3 passes, With th

Razor?

I forgot to put in my set up, here it goes.

Question for members who've switched from cartridge razors back to DEs - were you using multiple passes with cartridge as well?

Thanks.

Nope, this is why:

Most modern cartridge razors are made in such a way that the first blade is angled slightly shallower so that it pulls the hair out of the follicle and the subsequent 2 or 4 blades cut it off. I believe they call this hysteresis when concerned with shaving.

This results in many occasions that the hair is cut below the follicle. As the hair begins to grow back it pushes the skin out a bit causing razor bumps, your skin type and ethnicity are big factors in the severity. As hair does not grow straight up but rather at an angle, the chances for razor bumps to turn to ingrown hairs increases. Persistent cases of razor bump can cause permanent blemishes on the skin also.

Another reason is that cartridge razors these days have up to five blades, going against the grain actually feels like your skin is being gripped and pulled because more blades are catching on your stubble which isn't comfortable.

DE Rasors cannot cut below the skin, the cut the hair flush to the skins surface.

The cons of cartridges:

Very expensive

Sub standard shaves

Increased chance of skin discomfort.

The cons of DE shaving:

More care needed to ensure you don't cut yourself.

That's it.

Cohiba Steve has considerably more experience than I with wet shaving but I didn't do multiple passes either with a cartridge. Multiple passes with a DE blade is still much more comfortable than a single pass with a cartridge.

DE shaving is a somewhat slower process than cartridge shaving due to this but now I've come to enjoy the process which was my goal all along.

I have been using DE for awhile now & love it. I still use cartriges when traveling but that is it. Ordered a Strait razor the other day and I am looking forward to trying it although I am a little worried also. Looking at brushes and just cant get over the price of some of them. How can a brush cost up wards to $500 or $600.

I have been using DE for awhile now & love it. I still use cartriges when traveling but that is it. Ordered a Strait razor the other day and I am looking forward to trying it although I am a little worried also. Looking at brushes and just cant get over the price of some of them. How can a brush cost up wards to $500 or $600.

If you look you can get a great brush in the neighborhood of $40-60. No need to spend hundreds to get a good brush. That being said a great brush is an indispensable piece of a gentlemen's shaving kit. IMHO it is just as important as having the right razor and blade. I have had great luck with brushes made by Edwin Jagger. They are a great value, in that you get a really top quality brush at a reasonable price.

If you look you can get a great brush in the neighborhood of $40-60. No need to spend hundreds to get a good brush. That being said a great brush is an indispensable piece of a gentlemen's shaving kit. IMHO it is just as important as having the right razor and blade. I have had great luck with brushes made by Edwin Jagger. They are a great value, in that you get a really top quality brush at a reasonable price.

I would never spend that much for one I was just literally shocked when I seen the price of some of them. My Dad actually gave me a brush that he used years ago although I dont use because it is showing its age, Not sure what brand it is or what hair it is made of I just think it is pretty cool having a brush that I remember seeing him use when I was a quite young. Wish he still had his old razor also I would give it a try

Same here, got a Edwin Jagger. Reasonable cost and happy with it.

But understand from a lot of guys it will not stop with having only one .... :)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Caveman-Grooming/Shaving-Brushes-/_i.html?_fsub=2015667013&_sid=1003108593&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Just to throw into the ring, these frank shaving brushes are truly exceptional for the money, I would recommend to anyone.

I cant remember if that was the seller, or if the seller makes those brushes (so may be available elsewhere?) but they are a solid brush.

gotta love these merkur razors and the japanese feather blades. the double and triple razors got nothing on the old school

a3apyset.jpg

gene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Gene,

What is the Merkur razor handle that isn't a 34c HD and how do you like it in comparison? All I've ever used is the 34c which to be honest with I haven't seen a reason to change yet.

dan,

one is the original and the other is a long handle. the long handle has a satin finish. no real difference in shaving, but in this case, size does matter. i like the longer handled one better, i got the original first and the handle was kinda short. now i just use it when traveling.

gene

If there are enough of us that would be into it perhapse we could get a sub forum dedicated to wet shaving. There are certainly more than enough topics of conversation to support it. What doyou guys think?

Not a bad idea, however I think a sub-form which encompasses other Gentlemanly topics, such as clothing and accessories, grooming, pipes, lifestyle, timepieces, etc, which don't necessarily fit in the watering hole discussions could appeal to a wider audience.

Question for members who've switched from cartridge razors back to DEs - were you using multiple passes with cartridge as well?

Thanks.

Colt, always a single pass with cartridges and always with the grain. It wasn't until DE shaving that I even attempted a pass that wasn't with the grain. My morning shave is two passes: 1) with; 2) across, and my results are so good that I don't even bother poking the bear with an against the grain pass. If you haven't already converted, do your face a favour and pull the trigger on a new shave system.

gotta love these merkur razors and the japanese feather blades. the double and triple razors got nothing on the old school

a3apyset.jpg

gene

I love this new Merkur HD. Still waiting on my 100 feathers to get delivered. Just wondering how much of a great shave is down to blade and how much to the razor? So far I have only used the Merkur blade that came with the razor and it has been pretty good.

Most reviewers I have read say the Feather blade is the sharpest getting around. So will a feather blade perform just as well in a lesser or cheaper DE razor?

Picked up some Proraso pre/post shave creme the other day too. Just changed my life

So far I have only used the Merkur blade that came with the razor and it has been pretty good

I didn't try the merkur blade until after I'd been shaving with the feather for a little while. They aren't even close in my opinion.

As I've only used the Merkur 34c HD I can't comment on various blades in different handles. I will say this though. I'd use one handle while experimenting with different blades or you'll never really know if it was the handle or blades.

Feathers and merkur blades are complete opposites in terms of sharpness.

Feather is the sharpest there is, merkur on the other hand are milder but most people don't find them to be smooth.

My favourite blades are astra superior platinum from Russia, they offer nearly the same sharpness as feathers but they are incredibly smooth and irritation free. Very popular for people with sensitive skin. Google them, they are quickly creeping up on feathers in terms of popularity. And they are half the price of feathers.

I got 100 Astras for £5 delivered....

Yes that is a five - singular.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Caveman-Grooming/Shaving-Brushes-/_i.html?_fsub=2015667013&_sid=1003108593&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Just to throw into the ring, these frank shaving brushes are truly exceptional for the money, I would recommend to anyone.

I cant remember if that was the seller, or if the seller makes those brushes (so may be available elsewhere?) but they are a solid brush.

I got a FS brush over a year a go. Best. Brush I have owned. Cost next to nothing. Found it somewhere online.

I have found Lord platinum blades to suit me best. I have a 100 pack if anyone wants to swap or try some...

I just bought one this morning and should receive it next week.

I had just run out of cartridges and have always objected to how much they cost. I'll let you know what I think.

Also the fact that it is one smart looking gadget sold me as well.

I had just run out of cartridges and have always objected to how much they cost. I'll let you know what I think.

Also the fact that it is one smart looking gadget sold me as well.

Good to hear, Warren. You won't look back.

A few tips that have helped me along the way and hopefully they'll help you as well.

- Get to know your face and what direction your hair grows. The direction of your facial hair will typically change from section to section and is important to know for determining the type of pass (With the grain "WTG", Across "XTG", Against "ATG"). Mine for example, grows normally on my face, however my neck hairs sort of fan to each respective side. Let your growth determine what direction to take.

- Pressure. Unlike cartridge shaving, pressure is not the answer or your friend. Proper technique uses the natural weight of the blade to do the cutting. For the first number of weeks I remember holding the handle in my fingertips so to not subconsciously apply a firm grip and transfer that pressure to the blade. Also, firm up your wrist and use a whole arm motion when making a pass.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged. The first week can feel like a step back, but then it'll all come together. Keep us posted.

ok.gif

A few tips that have helped me along the way and hopefully they'll help you as well.

- Get to know your face and what direction your hair grows. The direction of your facial hair will typically change from section to section and is important to know for determining the type of pass (With the grain "WTG", Across "XTG", Against "ATG"). Mine for example, grows normally on my face, however my neck hairs sort of fan to each respective side. Let your growth determine what direction to take.

- Pressure. Unlike cartridge shaving, pressure is not the answer or your friend. Proper technique uses the natural weight of the blade to do the cutting. For the first number of weeks I remember holding the handle in my fingertips so to not subconsciously apply a firm grip and transfer that pressure to the blade. Also, firm up your wrist and use a whole arm motion when making a pass.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged. The first week can feel like a step back, but then it'll all come together. Keep us posted.

ok.gif

Very wise advice CK... I also stumbled across Geofatboy and Mantic59 on Youtube and they have some great tips, advice and techniques that really helped me. Couldn't agree more about the first week or so finding your feet. But after you settle down into a routine that works for you it becomes such a pleasure. Sunday shaves are now zen-like. Every man should experience the difference. I struggled with irritation and ingrowns for years. Plus the cost of cartridges just wore me down. Can't recommend DE shaving enough

Nope, this is why:

If you haven't already converted, do your face a favour and pull the trigger on a new shave system.

Cheers guys. For me, time is an issue, so for now, DE is not an option. But these topics make me think...... I grew up with family who shaved DE. As technology "progressed", they did not hesitate to switch over. I can't ever recall them spending fifteen, twenty, thirty minutes in the morning to shave. Given the discussion, you might be somewhat appalled at how I shave.... smile.png

Wazza, watch your fingers!!

P.S. Does anyone else remember the Gillete Techmatic? lol3.gif

Very wise advice CK... I also stumbled across Geofatboy and Mantic59 on Youtube and they have some great tips, advice and techniques that really helped me. Couldn't agree more about the first week or so finding your feet. But after you settle down into a routine that works for you it becomes such a pleasure. Sunday shaves are now zen-like. Every man should experience the difference. I struggled with irritation and ingrowns for years. Plus the cost of cartridges just wore me down. Can't recommend DE shaving enough

Exactly, mate! There are lots of good resources out there that just take time to go through. The ones you mention above, I watched as well. I also found reading the forum theshaveden.com to be very helpful and a lot like FOH in culture.

Steve's post about his Astra blades motivated me to order a sample pack of blades and it arrived in the mail today. I'll give these a test drive over the next number of weeks and maybe I'll find one that works best for me.

post-7525-0-56349900-1385081856_thumb.jp

ok.gif

Very good to point it out.

As a beginner we tent to rush.

One of the best thing is the joy the procedure in the morning and for me the result can't be beaten by the multi blades I used for years.