Since my last update now my razor collection have grown to about 6, 4 vintage gillette and 5 brushes and equal amount of soaps and after shaves. Agree with Andrew it feels exactly like collecting cigars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got a vintage Gillette slims. Now i understand all the the fuss about vintage Gillette, its an awesome product. Isotonic, once you've refined your technique you can up it to 3 passes, With th

Razor?

I forgot to put in my set up, here it goes.

GREAT THREAD!

I picked up DE shaving about 4 years ago. I stumbled on a website called badgerandblade.com

Ever since then, I started hoarding. I have about 20 Simpson brushes, 25-30 razors, and tons and tons of Blades, creams, after shaves, and fine Italian soaps. This is a hobby that reminds me of cigar buying. Very similar. I encourage all beginners and experienced wet shavers to go to badgerandblade.com you will find that no other website in the world is quite like it. Many vendor are on there as well. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew,

What do you think of Simpson, worth the money? I got Rudy vey custom tgn silvertip. Love it! But just wondering the hype of Simpson. I'm in 2 minds between Simpson and Morris and fondran.

Zain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 year later...

I just got a vintage Gillette slims. Now i understand all the the fuss about vintage Gillette, its an awesome product.

Isotonic, once you've refined your technique you can up it to 3 passes, With the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG) and against the grain (ATG). It took me a good year before i managed ATG under the nose, so take your time dont rush it. With the EJ, i'll do 3 pass plus touch up.

Bolismoker, count me in as a tabac fan. I still rank their soap as one of the best.

Old Thread:....

I picked up a Gillette Slim (1967) about 3-4 months ago..$25.. Cleaned and sanitized it and have been loving the shaves(head shave)..

Pressure and angle..once u find the sweet spot it's great ..now I'm looking to buy my birth year razor(1975 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip)..$25 on eBay ..can become an expensive hobby kinda like cigars..creams,soaps,aftershave,blades,etc etc..I'm treading lightly right now..lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A good razor is half of the equation. The other part are blades. With so many blades on the market and available online, it is wist to do some research and try several. It takes a while for newcomers to wetshaving to get the feel for different blades. Personally, I have my perfect razor, an Ikon Stainless DE with both open comb and sidebar heads. I prefer the sidebar, which is the more aggressive of the two. I just recently tried some Personna Lab Blue blades and they are among the most aggressive I've encountered. First shave with a break-in. Subsequent 6 or 7 shaves are the closest I've had. BBS for sure! My preference are TOBS creams with a nice alcohol free Thayers whicth-hazel splash after rinsing. Then a nice Pernod after shave.

Don't know how I missed this thread! neutral.gif

I've been a wetshaver for more then a few years now, I'm actually a participating member in a few shaving forums, my current favorite razor is the Mongoose as well as the Merkel Slant, and I absolutely love shaving brushes, and have a small collection of them.

Favorite soaps are probably Jabonman's (he's got quite a lot of great ones), Martin de Candre, Pannacrema, Tabac, Penhaligon's, etc, and favorite creams are AdP, Castle Forbes Lime, Musgo Real and XPEC.

I use the Muhle R4 and Personna razors. I only use proraso pre shave cream to shave with now. It's very slick and it does a good job.

I have a Simpson Duke brush and I rarely use it anymore. It's a great brush tho.

In a pinch I'll shave dry with my Muhle with no real bad issues, you just have to go slow!

I hated razors until I started using DE razors and I'll never go back.

Got my 75 Super Speed and cleaned it up...it's a great mild razor..I like it better than my Slim..

Gillette Silver Blue blades have been best I've used so far..(feather,Merkur,Astra SP)still have to try Gillette 7o'clock greens,Red Personna,and cpl more..

Love the Proraso green cream and the Geo F Trumper GFT cream is also very nice..

Omega 48 aka "The Pro"boar brush..

After shave:Thayers Lavender Which Hazel,Clubman Special Reserve,Aqua Velva,Skin Bracer,Clubman VIBR,Fine Fresh Vetiver,

I'm not a big fan of shaving but having a few different choices of razors,blades,creams and after shaves makes it more interesting..