Veteran's Day

Thank you to all of those who have served, still serve, those who made it home and those that didn't!

actual video:

http://youtu.be/7qZBFdvZDfM

well said.

while we have anzac day - 25th april being the day aust/nz troops landed at gallipoli in 1915 - we also celebrate (not sure that is the correct word?) nov 11 for end of the first world war. i assume that is the reason for veterans' day being nov 11?

Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.

Veterans_day.jpg

Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.

so exactly the same as us. as a kid, i remember going along to the anzac day march to see my grandfather, who enjoyed 3 1/2 years in the trenches in france.

for us, everything shuts for a minute at 11am to commemorate the moment - we call it remembrance day. anzac day is the day everything stops.

The video and lyrics posted are worth every second, everyone should watch it.

My wife may not like my cigars, but she is the most generous person I have ever known.

She called me yesterday to let me know she had spent a lot of money at the grocery store. I was a little taken aback because she is not one to call me and tell me she has spent too much on anything. . .lol. But I just went with it and asked her why did she splurge on candy or stock up on Rib Eye? She said no, she knew Veteran's Day was tomorrow (this happened yesterday) and an older man was in front of her in line. He was wearing a Vietnam Veterans hat, but on the back is said "Medic." She said thoughts flashed through her mind about what this man must have seen during the war. She said she tapped the man on his shoulder and thanked him for his service and push past him to pay for his groceries. He tried to protest because he was buying for his family BBQ, but she wouldn't have any of it. She said, and this brought a tear to my eye, "you should be the last person paying for your groceries to celebrate your day." She said people started clapping and he started crying and thanked everyone. The clapping lasted so long he had to take his hat off and thank everyone properly before they would stop. On her way out several people asked if they could help with the groceries and offered her cash to help out. She graciously accepted because she wanted them to feel the joy of giving back to one of our nations heroes.

If you are reading this and are out today and see someone in their fatigues or something as simple as a theater of war ball cap - stop and thank them. Pay for their lunch, coffee or groceries. Thank you to all that have served!!!

My wife may not like my cigars, but she is the most generous person I have ever known.

She called me yesterday to let me know she had spent a lot of money at the grocery store. I was a little taken aback because she is not one to call me and tell me she has spent too much on anything. . .lol. But I just went with it and asked her why did she splurge on candy or stock up on Rib Eye? She said no, she knew Veteran's Day was tomorrow (this happened yesterday) and an older man was in front of her in line. He was wearing a Vietnam Veterans hat, but on the back is said "Medic." She said thoughts flashed through her mind about what this man must have seen during the war. She said she tapped the man on his shoulder and thanked him for his service and push past him to pay for his groceries. He tried to protest because he was buying for his family BBQ, but she wouldn't have any of it. She said, and this brought a tear to my eye, "you should be the last person paying for your groceries to celebrate your day." She said people started clapping and he started crying and thanked everyone. The clapping lasted so long he had to take his hat off and thank everyone properly before they would stop. On her way out several people asked if they could help with the groceries and offered her cash to help out. She graciously accepted because she wanted them to feel the joy of giving back to one of our nations heroes.

If you are reading this and are out today and see someone in their fatigues or something as simple as a theater of war ball cap - stop and thank them. Pay for their lunch, coffee or groceries. Thank you to all that have served!!!

Bravo!!! That is real class my friend. Real Class! Say thanks to your wife for me… -Ray

A heartfelt sadness to all those drafted and conscripted into wars, who lost lives, loved ones and souls over cowardly-faceless beaurocrat's squables. A salute to those with the courage to stand by their morals and say no. A sad wish that we could have honoured those who lost their lives in industrial style slaughter by working towards building a society that creates peace and heals hates instead of one that glorifies war and killing.

We will remember them, but we have forgotten why we are doing so. I'm sure those souls we remember look down and shake their heads when they see what hasn't changed even though a century has passed.

RIP

Lest we forget...

A heartfelt sadness to all those drafted and conscripted into wars, who lost lives, loved ones and souls over cowardly-faceless beaurocrat's squables. A salute to those with the courage to stand by their morals and say no. A sad wish that we could have honoured those who lost their lives in industrial style slaughter by working towards building a society that creates peace and heals hates instead of one that glorifies war and killing.

We will remember them, but we have forgotten why we are doing so. I'm sure those souls we remember look down and shake their heads when they see what hasn't changed even though a century has passed.

RIP

Lest we forget...

Is it just me, or did this thread not need to have a political viewpoint injected into it???

Other than that...

Great story, Orion - good of your wife. Kudos to her.

And Ken, yes, it's Remembrance Day - same here and in England as well (I believe it's a full British Commonwealth thing, to have Nov 11th as Remembrance Day).

Is it just me, or did this thread not need to have a political viewpoint injected into it???

Other than that...

Great story, Orion - good of your wife. Kudos to her.

And Ken, yes, it's Remembrance Day - same here and in England as well (I believe it's a full British Commonwealth thing, to have Nov 11th as Remembrance Day).

No, my friend it is not just you!

Yep lets not take a quiet moment on Remembrance Day to remember what was sacrificed and the reasons for those sacrifices.......

If you were so desperate about preserving the sanctity of a half week old buried thread you could have just pm'd me your grievances instead of trying to start an argument...

You know mate, what you wrote bothered me too! However, this is a forum and I try to respect all that post regardless of if they agree with me or not. I chose not to 'take the bait' this time, but I believe that you should respect Keith's opinion as others have respected yours. I don't follow up to 'jump a bandwagon' but to explain how some of us think.

Sometimes I read the wrong things into posts as my memories of members historical positions are not lost on me. We see things differently as you know, so I try not to challenge you on every topic, as I believe that you likely use similar restraint when reading my posts. It is a form of mutual respect as we are guests at "Rob's house."

But if I read Keith right, I am thinking that we (he and I) were not celebrating 'draft dodger' day! Now if I have read you wrong forgive me! But if it was your intent to tarnish (my perspective on your post and it looks like it might be Keith's as well) the respect that many of us have for veterans by elevating draft dodgers to their level, then perhaps you too should consider how your comments affect others before you post them!!

Somehow your 'reasons' for their sacrifice don't really jive with how some of us recall history…. Your political perspective has bee noted. Once noted, don't expect that all will be silent about it!

-the Pig

Thanks Ray, well said! The comment didn't sit right with me either since the second it was posted, however, out of respect and revernece for the topic's intended subject matter, I decided not to take the bait either,and I still won't. That being said, if there is a need for anyone to further debate politics and their opinons in regard to such, have some respect, honor and reverence for this topic and this subject matter and start your own thread to do so.

I guess everyone is different Ray! peace.gif

I don't associate people like Sophie and Hans Scholl or others such as the Edelweiss Pirates as 'draft dodgers' but people who stood up to tyranny in their own way. Just because they did not fight physically does not mean they are not worthy of remembrance. If that is ' negative political injection' it speaks more about the commentator than the 'injection imo.

Remembrance Day is a time to remember ALL who perished and the sacrifices they made. More importantly it's a time to reflect on why the sacrifices were made and question are we honouring what was lost. I know there are some who don't take a World view in many things and only consider insularly when posts are made but these events effected the World.

There are some who desperately need to tell others how they feel about everything when a pm would be far easier and private, but that may be why it is not pursued.