Mexican Food

jdo2110

As an offering to my BOTL/SOTL I would like to share some Mexican food recipes. I'm of Mexican/Irish heritage, and live in AZ (born and raised). I've grown up with a grandmother (nana) that made good eating a priority. Because we are north of the border (5 generations), we have adopted what is considered a Sonoran style.

Lots of garlic, onions, cilantro, pico de gallo, salsas, etc. During the holidays, food is cooking on the stove at all times. Please let me know if you have interest in trying a recipe yourself.

Examples would be:

• Green chile, corn, and cheese tamales
  • Red chile (beef/pork) tamales
  • Red chile (pork, beef, or chicken)
  • Green chile (pork, beef, or chicken)
  • Menudo soup (hominy, honeycomb tripe)
  • Posole soup (hominy, pinto beans, short ribs)
  • Albondigas soup (meatball soup)
  • Calavasitas (Zucchini, corn, tomato, onion, chz)
  • Refried beans
  • Spanish rice
  • Guacamole
  • Carnitas (shredded pork w/ chipotle peppers)

No doubt you could find any of these recipes online, but of course I am partial to the way my grandmother's style ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ginseng
Took care of the bullet list formatting for ya

So that the recipes will be transparent for everyone, I'll reply as requested.

First up: Red Tamales

2nd: Green Corn Tamales

3rd: Carnitas

I'm gonna type these out, then do a little copy and paste!

And yes, K, if you ever wanna get out of that cold, my AZ door is always open!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yum on all fronts except the menudo.....not my fave food or boy band. My wife is Mexican and I've lived in Texas half my life. I'm a huge fan of northern Mexican food, southern Mexican food, Sonoran style, and of course tex mex.

Besides only a few dishes I'm not comfortable in the kitchen though. I let my wife throw it down.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.390018,-81.404446

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Always looking for the family recipes that are passed down from generation to generation.

I would be interested to find out what you use for the Guacamole, Refried Beans and Spanish rice. I had some refrieds some years ago in N-Mexico and stupid of me not to ask for the recipe... these where so good. Thanks for posting,.

Can you add the Green Pork Chili too? We've got a version but can always use improvements!

Wow, did I ever let this slip! No excuse

So I see the above requests and I'm gathering all of the info into one file for you to see. Keep your eye out the next couple of days. Sorry about that!

Spanish Rice: Serves 4 to 6

1 8oz can of tomato sauce

2 cups of long grain rice

1/2 bunch of cilantro (minus stems) chopped

1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic

2 16oz cans of beef or chicken broth

1/2 medium white onion finely chopped

oil of preference

salt & pepper to taste

Start with a layer of oil on the bottom of a 4-6 quart saucepan. Turn your heat on medium to warm the oil a bit. Once warm, add rice and onion. You want to brown your rice a little as well as sweat your onion. Make sure the oil mixes well so the rice doesn't stick and burn to the bottom. Once the rice has a nice light brown, add the garlic (unless you don't like garlic, don't be shy with it!!!). Garlic will burn quickly, so you really only want to warm it up a bit. When garlic is warmed, add approximately 1.75 parts of the broth. Rice gets cooked with a 2 to 1 ratio, but your tomato sauce will be the rest of your liquid. Add tomato sauce and cilantro. Make sure to stir. Bring to a hard boil. This is where you want to salt and pepper to taste. The broth should be nice and rich, so before you cover it, make sure its where you like it as it will be the last time you see it before it is finished. Now turn your heat to low, cover with a good seal, and let cook for no more and no less than 20 minutes. DO NOT peek at your rice before then. It's important to keep that moisture locked in. Once 20 minutes is up, turn heat off, and check your rice. Careful with the steam!! Important to note that your heat shouldn't be turned ALL the way down, but maybe at a 2 or 3 if you had to guess a number for heat quality

Should be just right : )

Pork Green Chili: Serves 4-6

-3 pounds pork loin, shoulder roast, or butt roast (they all shred)

-2 heaping tablespoons of minced/chopped garlic

-1 medium white onion (or onion of choice)

-1 16oz can of diced tomato

-2 13oz container of frozen green chili (Baca's, Bueno, etc.). If not, just find green chili in that quantity.

If your lucky enough to have fresh, fire roasted green chili.... no brainer!

-1 16oz can of beef or chicken broth

-oil of choice

-Flour

Do your best to trim the fat of your meat. You want a little, but not a lot, so let that help your when

choosing your cut. Quarter your meat, massage with a little oil, and add a little salt and pepper to it.

I like to sear the outside of the meat, so do that with a little hot oil in a pan.

Place meat into 8 quart (or similar) saucepan/pot. In the pan you used to sear the pork, sautee your onion and garlic. Remember, start the onion first because garlic can burn quickly. Once done, add these to the meat. Set pan aside for later. At this point you want to add the rest of your ingredients, minus the flour. You might only need 1.5 of the containers of green chili, but that depends on you. I use all of the above. Make sure the frozen green chili is thawed. I like to have a 1/2 inch to 1 inch of liquid at the bottom of my pot, so once you have that, you need not add the rest of the broth. Bring all ingredients to a boil, then cover, and turn heat to low. Cook for 2.5 to 3 hours. It will look kind of like soup in the beginning, but that liquid will cook down. Check the meat occasionally just to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.

After the 2.5 to 3 hours of cooking, separate the ingredients from the liquid.

This is where you want to shred the meat, and make sure there isn't any fatty pieces. The meat should fall apart easily. With the remnants of oil from the pan you sautéed you meat and onions in, you'll want make a little roux with a heaping tablespoon of flower. I like to add a little of the remaining liquid because it has oily fat from the meat. Keep this at a very thin layer so that you are sure to brown the flour. This is a must. Just think of making gravy essentially. You wouldn't want gravy tasting like uncooked flour. Now add EVERYTHING back to the big pot. Your shredded meat along with the onion, green chili, and tomatoes should start soaking up the liquid. The roux should help thicken it all up. Once heated, you should be good to go. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remember, never be shy with the garlic!!

P.S. The recipe would be the same if I were to use beef chuck roast, or shredded chicken

Loves me a good posole..... please share!

You got it...

Tomorrow I will finally have a chance to be home for the day, and I'll type this as well as red chili, tamales, and green chili, corn, and cheese tamales.

• 6 months later...