Designing a beginner sampler

I like Skyfall's a lot with a couple exchanged. I would also put together a different list if cost was a concern which, for a lot of beginners it may be. They may not want to pay for more $$ smokes until they know them better and there are still a lot to choose from. I would also put together a list slightly different if money was no object. This is somewhere in-between :).

In no order:

1. Monte 2
  2. Partagas D4
  3. Cohiba Sig II
  4. HDM Epi 2
  5. Boli CJ
  6. RASS
  7. HU Corona major tubo
  8. Trini Reyes
  9. HU #2
  10. R&J Churchill
  11. Monte 4
  12. PLPC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, any of the past LFTW samplers have been a good example of what's good now.

Some that I give newbs are;

RASS

PLPC

H Upmann Connie's (I stock those instead of mag46)

HdM Epi2

CoRo

Monte 4

Fresh Regios

PSD4

RyJ Hermosa no.4 (or beli, whatever looks decent)

Boli PC

SCdlH El Principe

And something with either a hologram, or a flashy second band.

Rob, do you just wake up every day and pinch yourself?

"Let's see...what shall I do today for my job? Oh, I think I'll design a sampler of fine Cuban cigars while smoking fine Cuban cigars while selling fine Cuban cigars while associating with some fine Cuban cigar smokers who are great friends".

You make me sick. lol3.gif

No doubt it's a tough life - but someone has to do it lol3.gif

If I were in your shoes.

I would produce a 12 cigar blind sampler set. Numbered 1 to 12.

You send this 'Sampler Set' out with a little FOH/Czar Welcome Card.

A little blurb on the back on how to store, cut and light a cigar.

Maybe something saying 'what to look out for' when smoking, tasting, enjoying a cigar.

On the back, numbered 1 through12, are little boxes to tick for ratings (maybe 1 to 5) and a couple lines to make some notes on the flavour profile.

Upon completion, they (the beginner, me included) sends the card back.

You may, or may not, provide some feedback, of what each cigar was, the flavour profile and the rest is history.

I would like one of these sampler packs.

Word,

Jeremy

Jeremy we may be able to do a version of this online. Perhaps using the Poll function.

Rob, do you just wake up every day and pinch yourself?

"Let's see...what shall I do today for my job? Oh, I think I'll design a sampler of fine Cuban cigars while smoking fine Cuban cigars while selling fine Cuban cigars while associating with some fine Cuban cigar smokers who are great friends".

You make me sick. lol3.gif

I could have done this myself.....but "outsourcing" is the way of the future apparently lol3.gif

Ring…. Ring…. Ring….

Cigarrr Zahr can I help you?

Hello,

Is Rob in?

(insert elevator music)

Gud'ay, its Rob, who's' this?

Rob, I was trying your discount code at "XXXX cigar site" and it did not work, can you call them for me please? Oh… can you call me back this long distance call is killing me!!!???

………….

………..

……..

….

rotfl.gif

RG Perla, BPC, PLPC, Partagas Short, QdO Corona, Monte PE, Hupman2, Dip 2, RyJ wide churchill, JL Selccion No2, Partagas Lusi, Cohiba Siglo VI.

Would be my siggestion, good range of cheap to expensive in price, and good range of short to biggies in size.

I can remember asking Rob this question about two years ago. The best bit of advice he gave was to get at least two of each. Whilst a sample size of two isn't great, it's twice as good as one.

I think it's also worth getting Rob's advice on what is smoking well at the time. A newbie is not going to let anything sleep - it'll need to be good ROTT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rg perlas, shorts, bpc, hoyo coronation, punch punch (since pcdp is discontinued), ryj short Churchill, SLR Series a, rascc, mc pe, mc 4, psd 4 and hdm e2

In a plastic box with a bit of 65 rh beads and a sheet with data on each cigar and a structured space for notes

Edit: perlas x2, shorts x2, hoyo coronation x 2, rascc x 2, ryj short Churchill, psd4, e2, mc pe

- I would be most likely to buy cheaper smokes as a beginner

In no order:

1. Monte 2
  2. Partagas Short (or D4)
  3. Cohiba Robusto
  4. HDM Epi 2
  5. Boli PC
  6. RASS
  7. HU Mag 50 (or 46)
  8. QDO Corona
  9. VR Famosos (Or Unicos)
  10. R&J Short Church or WC
  11. ERDM CS
  12. Dip 2

Great list! I'd say the Famosos over the Unicos though - I feel the Unicos are too similar to the Monte 2, and you'd get a wider range of tastes that way.

I love this idea as im new to the hobby, I've had some great help along the way especially from my bud Yello.

Personally starting off new and never even smoking cubans prior to this year ( actually since I was 18 to now, im 35) I probably only smoked 2 cigars ever and they were cheapo's.

I've started with RyJ I believe #2's and Monte 4's that I got from a LCDH. Since then I've tried an aged Trini Reyes, which was fantastic, I bought a recent production box of those and i've smoked about 3 from them and they werent any where near the same. I realized that aged has its benefits. Yello has helped me as well with some variety and I tried my first Cohiba that he sent and man that was AWESOME!

So I like this idea as it would greatly help others like me and I would buy a sampler to expand brands I really want to try peace.gif

I think you guys are all way off and just listing a sampler of great sticks.

When I got started I purchased a sampler from a B&M that was packaged to be an educational experience for a beginner cigar smoker.

Each cigar in the sampler should have tasting notes so a beginner understands about strength and flavors, as well as educate the smoker about the dimensions of the stick and recommended method of cutting.

I would create a sampler that went something like the following:

Short Filler Cigars

Jose Pedra Cazadores

Quintero Favoritos

These two sticks are should not take too long to smoke and beginner needs to understand the difference between long and short filler construction and why the price differs so greatly.

Corona's

Fonseca Deilcias

Montecristo No 4

H Upmann Coronas Major Tubos

Robusto's

ERDM Choix

RASS

Partagas D4

Figurado

Cuaba Exclusivos

Big Sticks

SLR Double Corona

Cohiba Siglo VI

Montecristo No 2

Also included in my sampler would be a guillotine cutter and a punch.

The issue that I see with the above is the cost

associated with the learning experience. I believe

you have a very informative post, but I'd have to

wonder at a new smoker's willingness to participate. There is a chance that the target market would already have some cigar knowledge, but just be new to CCs. Should that be the case (and if I were one of those people), a sampler of the iconic CCs might be more appealing. AND, it could bring in some experienced folks as well because of alluring variety. For me, personally, I'm only able to grab a box or two every few months. In that is the limitation of one cigar. If I could mix in a sampler in-between bigger purchases I probably would.

Again, not trying to knock your idea brother, just

hoping to add additional perspective on the topic.

Just look at the March HQ sampler, that was one hell of a sampler pack. Best buy of the year for me, all cigars where GREAT! Remove some of the double banders, or not. All you need to do is remove 8 sticks from that list (forgot exactly what was in there as they have all been turned to ashes but Rob knows)add the RG Perla as a bonus.

That was a great mix of marcas and Vittolas. Or yet again, a mix of what looks and is smoking the best at the moment, because no sense in waiting om smokes in a Sampler pack.