What would you recommend?

New to Cubans and have only tried Cohiba Bohike 56 a couple times on fishing trips to Canada which were OK but I would not pay the $80 a pop the guy I was with that bought them for us. I have found that for what I can buy domestically in the U.S. is the medium full bodied cigars. I found the Monte Cristo Epic #2 a smooth smoke but not memorable or complex enough for my liking to justify a $15 tag. Of the ones I have tried I really like the Brickhouse Mighty Mighty in Gordo size and the Dominican Cohiba Black Supremo size. (for me I like the big 60 ring diameter.) I'm thining I like the medium-full bodied flavors with chocolaty, coffee smooth flavors found in them vs the lighter body. I have also always found the Cuban Cohiba brand appealing but do not know which one to start out with. Any recomendations which ones I may prefer or even some other linups in other brands?

Of the ones I have tried I really like the Brickhouse Mighty Mighty in Gordo size and the Dominican Cohiba Black Supremo size. (for me I like the big 60 ring diameter.) I'm thining I like the medium-full bodied flavors with chocolaty, coffee smooth flavors found in them vs the lighter body.

Arrgh… maybe you should wait until Cuba releases a 60+rg monster. Should not be long… lol3.gif

I would suggest starting off with the classic standard lines before buying all the expensive "luxury" cigars. It will work out a lot cheaper and you'll be able to sample more of the catalogue to get an idea of what you like.

Samplers are a good way to introduce yourself to Cuban cigars.

Trying to guess what you like by what NC's you do isn't really any use.. Cubans are a different kettle of fish altogether IMO.

..and regarding the expensive luxury Cubans you'll find more often than not the "standard" are just as good if not better, they just don't come in as pretty of a box and have less bands. innocent.gif

Ring size is just a minor preferance. I do have a bunch of small maduro perfectos and torpedo. Flavor and smoothness is more important to me.

There are plenty of other very good marca's so don't let the Cohiba mystique keep you from trying others. To me, Cohiba is not worth the money unless you are willing to buy and put them away for five or more years (according to what I've read). The Cohiba's I've tried young were okay but, as I said, not worth the difference in cost compared to others.

Also, I know the large ring gauges are popular right now among the nonCC smokers but you will be cheating yourself if you don't try 40 to 48 ring gauge, or even smaller, smokes. There are some really good petite corona's and corona gorda's out there. As I was making the switch from nonCC's to CC's almost exclusively now, I've discovered that I really enjoy smaller ring gauge sticks more than the 50+ sizes.