The science of cigars

As some of you may know, I am a chef. And in the last 25 years I have seen numerous changes in the way and the why food is cooked. The science of why foods react certain ways has gone from myths and old wives tales to a very finite and precise science (for better or worse). That got me thinking about my other passion, cigars. I'm certain since we're only talking about one product that their isn't as much to learn but none the less I am curious about what may be myth and what may be actual science regarding to cigars. Such as "does a cigar actually lose oils when it dries"? Or are there flavor and aroma compounds that are in the water moisture in the cigars that dry out? Does putting a plugged cigar in the fridge actually benefit the cigar at all? Just curious if anyone out there has any scientific knowledge or questions they can share on this subject.

Thanks

Great questions. One I think of is how little scence is available on what gives cigars their flavour. What makes a cigar taste sweet, toffee, coffee, salty, stewed fruit etc.?

Just about every every winemaker puts samples through a mass spectrometer to see for themselves the concentration and ratio of compounds that are known to produce flavour and aroma. Is anybody doing this with cigars?

Habanos might, I'd doubt it, and it they are they aren't saying.

It's something I'm working on myself. Results, I think, will be interesting and I'll post them on this forum first.

Something like, 2 RASS and 2 PSD4. Same factory and month. Put them through a mass spectrometer. I'd expect differences in all samples. Cigars from a single box are not the same as two samples from 1 bottle of wine. I would expect differences as they are individual discrete objects, proabably made by different rollers, possibly rolled in different weeks.

What would be interesting to see is if the difference between two cigars from the one box/marca is greater or less than the difference between cigars of another marca. With resources, to see if those differences are consistent.

After that, it's down to sampling the wrapper, binder, ligero, seco and volado separately. But all that takes mass spectrometer time. Of which I don't have much.

On the other hand, having said all that, sometimes not knowing makes it more interesting.

Undoubtedly, for many people, it's the mystery that makes cigars, especially Cuban cigars, so interesting.

Nobody in Cuba is blending for "stewed fruit". That's one thing I do know. Yet so many of us taste it.

Amazing! I would think one would have to sample a great number of cigars in order to get results. There are so many variables. As I understand the process, it is likely that the cigars in a single box are rolled by a number of rollers and are selected by matching appearance. Would the 'contaminants' from the roller (oils, perfume, lunch particles) affect the results? Would a RASS rolled on the biceps of a swarthy lad who played volleyball during a break have different results that a RASS rolled on the thighs of a young lady who wears Fidel No.5 perfume? Is a Mass Spectrometer a device used by Ghostbusters during a Catholic religious service?

From what I head, "A CIGAR IS JUST A CIGAR " ? !!!!!

I suppose that is correct and is the case with all things...a steak is a steak, but with that said for a very long time there was a belief that if you pierced a steak with a sharp object while it cooked, all of its juices would run out of it and you would end up with a dry steak. That is not the case. Anyways I am curious...

From what I head, "A CIGAR IS JUST A CIGAR " ? !!!!!

Close, but I think the quote is actually 'Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'! One of Freud's quotes, a heavy cigar smoker, and, err... sexual psychologist... innocent.gif

Science of cigars, interesting. I'm not sure if anyones really dug that deep into the subject, but there is a science to the production of a cigar which starts with the farmers. They're not ISO compliant but there's a particular procedure to achieve the desired outcome.

Alls I know is I wish they were blending for the "TWANG" againlooking.gif ...don't taste it nearly enough these days;/...

We had this discussion before.

Please define "twang", which doesn't translate nor exist in Cuba/Spain/spanish (AFAIK) or in any european language…

Please define "twang", which doesn't translate nor exist in Cuba/Spain/spanish (AFAIK) or in any european language…

Can you describe the taste of an orange - I have a feeling I know what is refered to, but cant describe it

On the other hand, having said all that, sometimes not knowing makes it more interesting.

It's great to know about the process of tobacco and cigar production (wine as well). But perhaps when it becomes molecular biology, it might take away a little of the magic - but then again, maybe not. Kind of like having great knowledge of music theory, being able to read music, etc - having that knowledge can free one up to forget the technical aspects and simply make music.

Then again........

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror, or looked at someone else and realized what we're actually made of - that there's a skeleton under there, blood vessels, organs, etc. For me it can kind of take away from our human-ness.......

This is hardly going to be "scientific" but for me the "twang" is an extra layer of flavour on the finish.

Something between savoury and sweet that "rounds out" the finish.

It's reminds me of the difference between a milkshake and a malted shake. Strawberry milkshake, fine, nice but can get too sweet and boring. Add malt to a strawberry shake and it adds that extra sweet/savoury layer on the finish.

Does that make any sense?

It's great to know about the process of tobacco and cigar production (wine as well). But perhaps when it becomes molecular biology, it might take away a little of the magic - but then again, maybe not. Kind of like having great knowledge of music theory, being able to read music, etc - having that knowledge can free one up to forget the technical aspects and simply make music.

Then again........

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror, or looked at someone else and realized what we're actually made of - that there's a skeleton under there, blood vessels, organs, etc. For me it can kind of take away from our human-ness.......

I think for me, I have enough confidence in my limitations to know that however much I find out, I will never be able to fully describe why I like Cuban cigars.

Regarding any fear of ruining my enjoyment by finding out a scientific reason for it, I am fearless! smile.png

**** Cheney* was mocked for using the term 'unknown unknowns', but there is a point to that. There are questions regarding the cultivation and production of tobacco and cigars that I'm sure none of us have ever considered, let alone the answers.

Your image of thinking what we're actually made of, skeleton, blood vessels etc. For me, the realisation that we, alone among species, can consider that, has my human-ness flooding back.

*Edit: Sorry, that was Donald Rumsfeld. The point is the same.