WTF Canada?!?

Many fine Canadians here... so WTF is this all about??? Let me see them play hockey without a puck and then they will realize how F'in stupid this is!?! LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2013/09/03/to-ensure-every-child-wins-ontario-athletic-association-removes-ball-from-soccer/

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer

With the growing concern over the effects of competition in youth sports programs this summer, many Canadian soccer associations eliminated the concept of keeping score. The Soccer Association of Midlake, Ontario, however, has taken this idea one step further, and have completely removed the ball from all youth soccer games and practices.

According to Association spokesperson, Helen Dabney-Coyle, "By removing the ball, it's absolutely impossible to say 'this team won' and 'this team lost' or 'this child is better at soccer than that child.'"

"We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are."

This summer Peter Oldring spent time with the Midlake Thundercats, an under 11 boys and girls team, and put together this radio documentary.

That is so sad.....let the kids grow up thinking that you don't have to try to achieve things and that everything will be handed to them on a plate.

Then again maybe if my imagination was better, I'd think a Guantanamera smoked like a Cohiba GR!

WTF! This is ridiculous. If you imagine you are good at a sport doesn't make you good at a sport. If I imagine I am a uber billionaire that doesn't make me a billionaire.

I think this crosses a line. It's a competitive sport because there is a winner and a loser. Not everyone can win!

I was horrified, then I read some of the comments:

-Hasn't anybody here actually listened to This is That before? It's comedy news. This story isn't true. It wasn't true in the past, and it will never be true. There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions happening here to a totally untrue story.

- I realize it is satire, but am I the only one who thinks this would be awesome? I would have loved this as a kid!

I was horrified, then I read some of the comments:

-Hasn't anybody here actually listened to This is That before? It's comedy news. This story isn't true. It wasn't true in the past, and it will never be true. There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions happening here to a totally untrue story.

- I realize it is satire, but am I the only one who thinks this would be awesome? I would have loved this as a kid!

Agreed. "This is That" is a REALLY bad parody news program. I myself have almost fallen prey to it. It's supposed to be a comedy sketch program that parodies the real news. However, it's right in the midst of CBC Radio's daytime news programs. They purposely make it hard to discern what's comedy - kind of like an April Fool's joke of news, but every day.

IMO, while some of their stuff is so absurd it's laughable, it's also piss poor and pathetic. Almost a shock-jock mentality to it. It's definitely not news, but to hear how they do it, it's not really good comedy either.

Oops sorry. I even thought right away it could be satire, but saw it was on CBC's site and figured it would be legit... shows the sad state of today that people would think it's real.

Blame it on "infotainment". :rolleyes:

Oops sorry. I even thought right away it could be satire, but saw it was on CBC's site and figured it would be legit... shows the sad state of today that people would think it's real.

Can I tell you that even though it says the show title at the top, it is their web page and the comments about the satire are there, 90% of the 650+ comments are just like yours. So don't sweat it.

LOL

While the part of playing without a soccer ball may be a joke, the part of not keeping score is a fact for certain age levels. My kids, both 11, play competitive soccer, however no official scores are kept for league games, and this is a joke IMO.

I know for a fact that the kids keep track of wins/losses so the concept as set out by the Ontario Soccer Association is flawed. In close games, the coaches play their best players and are playing to win, so the whole "fair play" concept is not working anyway.

In competitive sports, there is a winner and a loser. The kids know this, but unfortunately the people making the decisions don't see it the same way :(

Thank goodness. I should have looked carefully. However, with the way everything is progressing this day and age I wouldn't doubt that imaginary soccer or any sport would be on the list in the near future.

I think the next generation won't even have grades in school. Doesn't failing a course demean and lower the self esteem of children!?!

It is a parody however not too far from the truth. I have spoken with some of my coworkers who have children and they informed me that in some soccer leagues there is a cap on how many goals a team can score above and beyond the opposing team. I cannot remember the actual number but I believe it was around 4. So after your team has a 4 goal lead if you score another goal to go up by 5 you automatically lose the game! That is not a joke or parody it is all this political correctness nonsense. It is crazy. Sport is not only about getting exercise and having fun but it is about COMPETITION!!! We are not all created equally, we are not all the same, and we can't all be winners all the time. Losing can be very valuable life lessons IMO. This crap about everyone being a winner is such a farce it sickens me!

Losing is a part of life. Without loss, you can never truly appreciate a win. If you never lose, there is no impetus to strive for a win. And when you finally achieve that long sought after win, it is all the more sweeter.

All the great people throughout history have faced defeat in some form or another. Most will say that it was those experiences that pushed them to get up, dust themselves off and continue to strive for their goals.