Plain Packaging, coming to a Canada near you...

I personally don't care what my smokes come in or look like as long as the taste the same. I've stopped looking at the packages a long time ago. and I can really say those gross pictures don't really phase me and I don't even notice them anymore.

I'm more concerned about how this would affect cigars and packaging.

I would be interested to see a pic of some AUZ smokes just to see what the plain packaging looks like.

And now we know why this is happening. As a cigar smoker you should care. Not only does it create a whole new opportunity for huge amounts of fraud, but it will increase the price of cigars. But thank you for your enlightened response . . .

And now we know why this is happening. As a cigar smoker you should care. Not only does it create a whole new opportunity for huge amounts of fraud, but it will increase the price of cigars. But thank you for your enlightened response . . .

Looks like the anti-smoking campaigner's aims to divide and conquer BOTL has already worked on some! foot.gifrotfl.gif

I am confused by your response. Were you aiming to paint me as the one in the wrong for pointing out the shortsightedness of his comment or not? If so, maybe the term "BOTL" shouldn't be used so widely. If not take my seriousness with a gain of internet salt. I have a very strong sense of liberty and reading the article Riaz posted got my blood boiling.

I enjoy how Canada is looking to Australia and ignoring the rulings coming out of the USA against those types of warning stickers. It looks like Canadian politicians are looking to the places that agree with their end game as opposed to a place like the US that has disallowed it.

Nah, I just thought it was funny when you implied he wasn't enlightened by telling him that his opinion was wrong teacher.gif

You obviously did not understand my context. It was enlightening for me to read the opinion because first he says he doesn't care if they came plain packed, then expresses concern . . . which is it? You either care that people in power want to eliminate your choice to buy cigars or not. You either care that these proposed plain packaging laws could severely increase fraud or not? It's not too complicated? Then he responds and says if they came with no bands in plain boxes he'd "defiantly stop buying as much." Which is exactly what the politicians would like. We're not even addressing the intellectual property rights involved.

P.S. Ignoring all this is going on will eventually lead to the issue going away. Yes, exactly - lets ignored the problem and hope it goes away...

You obviously did not understand my context. It was enlightening for me to read the opinion because first he says he doesn't care if they came plain packed, then expresses concern . . . which is it?

Not that difficult to understand; he said he doesn't care what packaging his cigarettes come in as it doesn't affect him, but then expressed concern about how it could affect cigars, and asked for pictures of Oz plain packaging.

I didn't and still don't see any reason to go off at him for the above. Attacking someone within the hobby who is just saying plain packaging doesn't affect their cigarette buying certainly won't solve anything. We need to all be angry and working on the people who are making the decisions for us imo peace.gifflower.gif

@Eddy -

Plain_packaging.jpg

Cigar-plain-packaging-New-Australian-laws.jpg

On page one, IceCanuck Phil said they take the bands off, above said they leave the bands on. Which is it? Either way, it means the cigars are taken from the boxes, handled and put back. This sounds like the perfect opportunity for fraud to me.

On page one, IceCanuck Phil said they take the bands off, above said they leave the bands on. Which is it? Either way, it means the cigars are taken from the boxes, handled and put back. This sounds like the perfect opportunity for fraud to me.

Yep, Just ask Rob and Sam about the D4 we smoked a couple of months ago. Rob bought them from a tobacconist in Kings Cross. Smoked okay, but definitely not Cuban. Once you slap the new plain packaging band on a cigar, who's to say where it originally came from?

Yep, Just ask Rob and Sam about the D4 we smoked a couple of months ago. Rob bought them from a tobacconist in Kings Cross. Smoked okay, but definitely not Cuban. Once you slap the new plain packaging band on a cigar, who's to say where it originally came from?

Sorry, but this still unclear... Do they leave the original band underneath the generic government band or not?

Sorry, but this still unclear... Do they leave the original band underneath the generic government band or not?

I originally posted the info here: http://www.friendsof...ic=113019&st=30

Basically, you can either remove the original band and fasten the new plain packaging band, or you can attach the new band, as long as it totally covers the non-compliant band and cannot be easily removed.

You can download the guide here (page 7):

Hi-Res version: http://www.yourhealt...booklet_fa6.pdf

Lo-Res version: http://www.yourhealt..._accesstest.pdf

The anti smoking lobby tried this in the states a year or two ago and it got shot down as fast as it was brought up.

Merchants have a right to package products as they see fit as long they don't break any current laws.

Really a dumb law!

Thanks for clearing that up Fuzz. How can they possibly remove an old band and not damage a cigar's wrapper. According to the text in the guidelines, the new govt band must be "thoroughly glued on". No way this also does not cause damage. I don't suppose customers return cigars that are ruined from band damage, since they won't know til they smoke to that last third?

Personally, much to the govts annoyance, i doubt the plain packaging in Australia has worked coming from a cigarette perspective. I don't smoke but of the friends i have that do smoke, when asked they aren't the least concerned about the "graphic" images, one of the guys specifically asks for one called Gary i think at the counter saying that this one is his favourite. Those who are moved by the images simply take them out of the cartons and put them in other cary cases. Having never seen a plain packaged cigar i cant really comment but to me i don't see they point but i have heard of a lot of problems of the new labels ruining the wrappers.

I think the UK was thinking about doing the same but was waiting until Australia could provide legitimate proof that plain packaging works. I feel they would be better of putting the money into quit lines or subsidising those nicotine patches than all the plain packaging nonsense.

Yeah the UK put the plain packaging on the back burner for now.

Ironically the e-cigs are allowed to advertise anywhere now. There are three football stadiums named after brands and numerous teams (Including youth teams) with e-cigarette big logos on them pod.gif

There was an anti-smoking campaigner on TV yesterday saying how awesome this was....

Do retailers in PQ have to keep cigarettes behind covered doors on shelves behind counters too? This move was supposed to keep us from drooling over tobacco when we went into stores. But then store owners got the great idea to use these surfaces to advertise lottery tickets, cig prices, whatever.
yes they have to.

the future is full of hope after all it is going to get worse before it gets better. For one these puritans are tenacious in their aims. The more they peddle their morality the closer they come to their own undoing. One just has to look at what’s happening with a certain other green plant which is also burnt to see what the future holds. Also they are now starting on fast food and alcohol which are far more culturally engrained than tobacco this may just be the straw which breaks the camel’s back.