Unusual H. Upmann Box; Have you seen similar?

Believe it or not I thought that the pencil markings on the bottom added legitimacy to the box, would a counterfeiter take the time to make sure that even the minute details were perfect?

They might now. ;)

What are the dark spots in the second pic? One big one on the wood and the other, smaller one, on the lip of the paper at the bottom right area. Are those not remnants of glue?

Looks to be a spot of glue or stain, does not look like there are remnants across the top, side and bottom of the box.

That was a great unveiling.

I am far from being an expert, but something tugs at me to say these look genuine. Certainly the fading on the inside of the lid looks hard to fake, so maybe old fakes at worst? Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about can make a call. Anyone in touch with MRN?!

Any chance these might be available through your website at some point?

The box, besides stamps and seals, looks ok.

Such good box, if counterfeited, should have come from a "good" counterfeiter. I guess he wouldn't forget the seals and stamps.

Real in my opinion.

But if you want an expert opinion maybe you should send 2 of them to one of the most experienced members in this forum and he will, I guess, taste it and tell you the truth. Cross my mind Rob, Nino, Maverick and some others.

The box, besides stamps and seals, looks ok.

Such good box, if counterfeited, should have come from a "good" counterfeiter. I guess he wouldn't forget the seals and stamps.

Real in my opinion.

But if you want an expert opinion maybe you should send 2 of them to one of the most experienced members in this forum and he will, I guess, taste it and tell you the truth. Cross my mind Nino and Maverick.

You read my mind, a "good" counter fitter does NOT forget to apply the markings to the bottom of the box, I thought that if I find the Cuban warranty stamp inside the box it would be a tell tale sign that the box is not genuine, however I found just what you see in the pictures. Perhaps this box was hand carried right out of the factory??

I have seen those pencil marks on the bottom of boxes before. Here is a picture of a couple of boxes of Montecristo No. 1, pre-embargo, with pencil swirls very like the one on your Ramon Allones box.

A manager in a local shop, who has been there for 40 years, says that the boxes used to come in with those marks on them. So it was done either in Cuba or by a distributer. I'm guessing Cuba, since the marks look very similar on boxes from various parts of the world.

As for no other markings or warranty seal on your box of Upmann No. 4, I'm sure I've seen that before somewhere too, I just can't remember where.

post-3053-0-73552300-1374068957_thumb.jp

lol3.giflove.gifVery dark wrappers and some mineralization on them which appear as tiny crystals on the wrappers, the smell is of dark cocoa and somewhat overwhelming!

Good pudding .....hungry.gif

I was / am convinced ( from the distance ) that these are genuine and you will have the proof in the smoking :-)

Was going to check on them tomorrow in Cologne, but I guess no need now.

Enjoy !

Nino

PS : Nice to celebrate my 1000-th post here with good news party.gif

Good pudding .....hungry.gif

I was / am convinced ( from the distance ) that these are genuine and you will have the proof in the smoking :-)

Was going to check on them tomorrow in Cologne, but I guess no need now.

Enjoy !

Nino

PS : Nice to celebrate my 1000-th post here with good news party.gif

Congratulations! From my experience, the first whiff of the cigars will tell me everything I need to know about whether or not they will come around and have the potential to be a GREAT vintage 40+ year old cigar!