i know he is currently the only bloke we have who has got any runs but is steve smith really the best we can do at number 5? that is truly terrifying.

as for watson, unless he gets 300 in the 2nd innings, at which time you’ll find me in an orgy with a dozen supermodels and more chance of that, he must go. all the needless crap and no runs. has any player ever promised more and delivered less? i saw the pre match interview where he talked of batting with rogers and said “he even managed to teach me something about english conditions”. daffy duck could teach watson about english conditions. he is dumber than soup.

and even the most stupid of schoolkids knew that, after the bowlers did such a great job, all the batsmen had to do was get through that last session. even 0-10 and we are a huge chance to win the first test. then, who knows?

so watson bats like it is the last overs of a 20/20 game (which is all he should be allowed to play) and needless to say, yet another failure. i felt like smashing the tv. apparently the ton he got in the 4th eleven warm up game was his first first class century in three years. seriously. he must have photos of the selectors starkers bonking goats.

had he done his job, instead of telling everyone how good he is, cowan doesn’t get exposed – and what a crap shot that was for your first ball in an ashes test in england. nor clarke – at least he was done by a cracker. the only surprising thing was that he didn't ask for it to be reviewed. but perhaps even his ego is not so massive as to think a catch to third slip is doubtful. saw recently that he was described as the kevin rudd of the aussie cricket team.

seriously disappointing after siddle and the bowlers did such a good job.

and odds of ajar going down in history as the most bizarre selection ever? or the most inspired? fat chance, i would have thought but who knows?

Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions last night while camped in front of the tele! I went from excited and hopeful after we bowled them out, to seriously frustrated and exasperated as we threw away 2 wickets (watson and cowan). At least the ball that got Clarke was a beauty. rogers looked good i thought, looked like he knew he was playing Test cricket (as opposed to the 20/20 crap watson produced) and was even a little unlucky. If the umpy had given him not out and the Poms had appealed for a review he'd still be there. The 'umpires call' part of the review system confuses me. Which isn't hard at 3 in the morning!

I agree 150% with you Ken, regards Watson. He is so full of himself I'm surprised he doesn't talk about himself in the 3rd person. And Cowan, while he may claim to have been beaten by nerves (and i haven't heard yet why he went off the field a number of times while the Poms were batting so he may have been crook?) played a STUPID shot first ball. I don't even think it swung, he just shouldn't have been flashing away like that.

As for the bowlers, Siddle picked up his accuracy after his first forgettable 4 overs and really bowled consistent line and length i thought. And was rewarded. It isn't that hard to get good wickets if you're bowling up and straight. Ask Glen McGrath! The other two bowled ok IMO but we gave them too many boundaries with short and wide deliveries.

I'm on days off from work so will be up all night again tonight! I feel fairly confident that between Smith, Hughes, Haddin and Siddle (he's good for a half century tonight!) we'll at least get rid of any 1st innings deficit and maybe even set up a small lead. I don't believe we're without a chance!

The kid's been amazing! Reminiscent of Sobers at times.A heck of a talent there combined with the fearlessness of youth and no burden of expectation.This game could go either way and I think the series will be close too.These two sides are far more evenly matched than a lot of people have been suggesting.

Terrific exhibition, and one that has been a pleasure to watch.

... And I was so mad at those before him that I nearly went to bed!!

Well done Agar - this will be remembered for as long as I live.

extraordinary. shows why cricket is the greatest game of the lot. but if the number 11 can do this, surely england are looking at 500?

As long as they don't bottle it again...

i'm loving this but even with my green and gold eyes firmly in, a comparison with sobers is a massive massive call???? seriously?

Well certainly it would be a big call in a broad context but yeah I think it's a fair thing to say on this day and during this innings.On occasion his shot selection and execution has been wonderful.Even as a pom I hope the kid goes on and gets his century now.

He is a natural stroke maker and just looked so comfortable. Maybe it's his age that allowed him to play with such freedom but for most youngsters would allow the moment to get the better of them. If he takes wickets he won't be batting at 11 for long. And if he backs up in Australia's 2nd innings is there a case to play him 6 or 7 and bring Lyon in?

Taking wickets is his real test as he has been picked as a bowler. Cowan would want to make runs now as Hughes could slip up to 3 and young Agar in at 6.

Hats off to Ashton Agar!! what a performance!

Here here this should make up for the Rugby :-)

He reminds me very much of a young John Eales. Agar was almost in tears when presented with the baggy green cap before the Ashes test. Eales was in tears when presented with his first Wallabies Jersey.

I always loved the story of a 19 year old Eales fronting up to the first squad drinks "piss up" at the Port Office Hotel in Brisbane. He brought a lunch box prepared by his mum not knowing if he was going to get lunch. He was and remains a decent humble person. I suspect Agar is cut from the same humble stock.

Taking away the 98 runs on debut at 11 (if that is possible), what I loved was the confidence, the smile, the almost too big helmet, the post innings humility, the love for his cap, his family.

For us here it is so refreshing after putting up with the snarls, punch ups, hubris (with no performance), team schisms of a group of overpaid prima donas.

For them (and a nation) to be taught a lesson in honour.... (honouring cap, the game, country, family, self and opposition) by a 19 year old kid on debut is worth more than any amount of runs. It was a lesson that was sorely needed.

and no one was cheering harder than nathon lyon. good on him as well. enjoy zimbabwe, dave, might be a while before you get back in.

just hope the kid can take some wickets. perhaps our selectors would be better off checking out low level games around henley for future aussie stars.

after watching the first night right through, when our useless idiots all fell over and we were 9 down, i thought i'd just wait till the last one fell and then get some sleep. fat chance of that. what extraordinary fun. whatever else happens in this ten test series, and i don't think it will be pretty for us, these first two days have been sensational stuff. i doubt we'll see anything as entertaining for the rest of the games.

but i'm still struggling with the sobers comparison.

And he's a VICTORIAN!

Fantastic stuff from Agar, would have been nice to see him just work a couple more singles to get the tonne but an amazing effort for the number 11 nonetheless.

He reminds me very much of a young John Eales. Agar was almost in tears when presented with the baggy green cap before the Ashes test. Eales was in tears when presented with his first Wallabies Jersey.

I always loved the story of a 19 year old Eales fronting up to the first squad drinks "piss up" at the Port Office Hotel in Brisbane. He brought a lunch box prepared by his mum not knowing if he was going to get lunch. He was and remains a decent humble person. I suspect Agar is cut from the same humble stock.

Indeed, there was a short interview with his parents on test match special, who seemed to be decent, normal folk. And proud as can be.

It is difficult to imagine the whole of an English cricket ground wanting an Aussie to get his ton, but they were! The ovation he got was marvelous. Great sportsmanship.

and no one was cheering harder than nathon lyon. good on him as well. enjoy zimbabwe, dave, might be a while before you get back in.

just hope the kid can take some wickets. perhaps our selectors would be better off checking out low level games around henley for future aussie stars.

after watching the first night right through, when our useless idiots all fell over and we were 9 down, i thought i'd just wait till the last one fell and then get some sleep. fat chance of that. what extraordinary fun. whatever else happens in this ten test series, and i don't think it will be pretty for us, these first two days have been sensational stuff. i doubt we'll see anything as entertaining for the rest of the games.

Yeah, maybe the Sobers stuff might apply in a few years...but not yet.

Looks like this one is going to settle down in to a normal test match now.

But Agar was the fillip you guys needed.

a mate says he is a very decent kid, very well brought up, polite, respectful. as he said, it will only take a few weeks in the aussie dressing room to cure all that.

And i'm sure i saw a guy in an open necked business shirt, no tie, in Agars dads ear during his innings last night. While his old man surely would have preferred to be watching his son bat. I'm making a broad assumption here, but that d/head will be the first of an endless queue of managers lining up to sign him. I hope he can steer clear of all the b/s. i wouldn't be surprised if some knob has already set him up with a Twitter account!

Taking away the 98 runs on debut at 11 (if that is possible), what I loved was the confidence, the smile, the almost too big helmet, the post innings humility, the love for his cap, his family.

For us here it is so refreshing after putting up with the snarls, punch ups, hubris (with no performance), team schisms of a group of overpaid prima donas.

For them (and a nation) to be taught a lesson in honour.... (honouring cap, the game, country, family, self and opposition) by a 19 year old kid on debut is worth more than any amount of runs. It was a lesson that was sorely needed.

Agree fully Rob. When they asked Agars old man how he found out his son was about to represent Oz, and he choked up describing the phone call, i felt good about this kid.

i'm so glad i didn't pack off to bed after Anderson and co. ripped through everyone from 4 for to 9 for in about 5 overs!

Well,as I said,it was simply a thought based on the moment and not intended as a deep career prediction for the lad........so don't let it worry you too much eh!!

Well,as I said,it was simply a thought based on the moment and not intended as a deep career prediction for the lad........so don't let it worry you too much eh!!

It is ok for Ken to disagree no matter how wrong he is .wink2.gif