State of Origin game One.....and so it begins

Di and KG, I love you both dearly.. But the comments saying its not good for the kids to see that kind of thing... Though I'm not condoning the fights or punches - seeing that stuff in the 80's and 90's didn't stop parents letting kids play then. It's likely not going to stop them now.

Pissing in pants on field. Drinking and abuse of women. Off field antics.... That's what will stop parents wanting their kids being associated with Leauge,

no question we were outplayed but this is a different issue. and not just aimed at yourself, rob, but anyone celebrating gallen's grubby act - trev, you are the moderator extreme on the forum yet something like this gets a tick?

managed a lunch today (clos de beze, musigny, clos st jacques etc so feeling no pain myself) pre the trip and one of the guys there a doctor who played for the emerging wallabies 20 years ago. as he said, he loved a good fight back then (he was a winger so take that with a grain of salt) but players today (and not just footballers - lots of people) are so much stronger. whether it is steroids, training, weights, whatever - humans are much stronger. but defensively bodies have not kept up. as he said, if the general public had any idea of the number of people they see killed by a single punch, or maimed or disabled or paralyised, they would be beyond horrified. it happens regularly and is happening more and more. he has four kids under 7, all boys. none will now be playing league. anyone who seriously thinks that last night did not cost the game heavily is a fool. there will always be a core that will play and support it and so witll their families but no mother wants to see her young son running around a game where a cheap and dangerous shot like that is actually celebrated. if the parents of the inglis's and slater's and lockyer's and fulton's and so on have their kids play rugby or soccer of afl, in time, the game will suffer massively. if last night turned the parents of just one of those next gen players then the game has been damaged.

i had tickets to game 2. this afternoon, i told my mate they could go elsewhere. i'm not interested in supporting a game like that. i will probably watch it from home but i won't attend, won't support it. i've gone to every reds game for years and will continue to. i used to go to league and origin especially (i was at that first game in 1980). no more. i'll continue to go to the rugby and occasionally the afl. can't imagine ever attending another game of league.

no other serious sport on earth allows that crap. even boxing doesn't allow cheap shots when they are unexpected.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, just to set my position on the matter straight, as it seems you interpret my comments as approval - I don't celebrate, condone or justify Gallen's actions.

All I've said (or implied) was that his punches weren't the first, and for certain won't be the last thrown. Both teams have thrown and recieved plenty.

Ken, just to set my position on the matter straight, as it seems you interpret my comments as approval - I don't celebrate, condone or justify Gallen's actions.

All I've said (or implied) was that his punches weren't the first, and for certain won't be the last thrown. Both teams have thrown and recieved plenty.

true and an all-in or a fight between two players happens and if it is a fair fight, that is one thing. last night, gallen king hit a bloke he had just slammed with a swinging arm - no surprise that he had been one of our few effective forwards to then. he king hit him, not in a fight situation, but just out of the blue. it was a gutless, cowardly act and being celebrated. a fight where both blokes know it is on is one thing. that was appalling. both teams have thrown and rec'd plenty for sure, and will in future. but that was separate. no lead in. gallen claiming stuff from a year ago? please! and the refs did nothing. shameful.

and please don't link lewis with an act like that. i can't think of a qlder who has acted in quite that manner - not to say that someone hasn't. the only other blue i can think of is les boyd. artie beetson whacked cronin in 1980 but as he said, a s***load went on before that.

tell me honestly that if it had been thaiday, nsw wouldn't be screaming the house down to have him banned for months?

also, i was actually offered half way seats to game 3 as well. not interested.

just seen gallen got one week - so doesn't play a game he would most likely not have played anyway. and it was a pre game plan. gallen, the refs and the administrators all deserve jail. in other circumstances, in almost any other circumstances, that is where they'd be. a planned assault.

followed league all my life. honestly can't imagine when i'll next watch a game at any level.

we have a new ceo? he has shown himself as a spineless, useless joke.

Ken, for the love of all things right on this world.... don't turn your back on game 2. Take up the seat you've got reserved, and go watch Gallen get the just deserts that the QLD team and officials say he has coming his way.

anyone who seriously thinks that last night did not cost the game heavily is a fool.

Come on Ken. Any press is good press. And this "little debacle" has pumped up everyone for game 2. If anything it's helped the game.

Please note: I'm no fool and prefer the game played in heaven.

Ken,good to see you blokes take a lost so well! As for Gallen KING HIT please, Myles knew it was on.he leads with his head which is dangerous.As for Thaiday he's never one on one he's allways 3rd man in & side on (king Hit style)By the way can i get your tickets for game2 mate. GO THE BLUES!

Bring on game2 ps, Please keep Inglis in the centres.

Ken,good to see you blokes take a lost so well!

In defence of the Maroon team and officials, they blamed no one but themselves and their performance. It certainly took me by surprise to see that, but I'll give 100% kudos to the manner in which they've taken the loss.

Come on Ken. Any press is good press. And this "little debacle" has pumped up everyone for game 2. If anything it's helped the game.

Please note: I'm no fool and prefer the game played in heaven.

no offence, but, in less than 24 hours i have spoken to only a few people but one has already made the decision his kids - four boys - won't be playing league. how does that help? please? i'm serious. jerrecco, you've said it does. how?

and if a lifelong fan tosses away his tickets for the next game (and no, i'd rather they went to waste than give them to anyone to support it), you seriously think that is 'pumped up'?

the administrators have sacrificed short term excitement for the good of the game long term.

honestly? if there was an afl game on at the same time, i'd watch it instead.

as for 'taking the loss well', as i have stated, and i really don't give a rat's if you believe it or not, this is not about that. nsw deserved the win - i think i have already said that about four times. we were outplayed. can't really say it any other way. this is not about that. if you can't tell the difference, i can't help you.

no offence, but, in less than 24 hours i have spoken to only a few people

Totally cool, none taken.

In the last 24 hours I have witnessed hundreds of social media comments, news clips, gif versions of the cheap shots. Rugby League and Origin are as safe as they ever were. Long term? Well, that little clip will be added to the numerous others, similar to the ones you posted in the one week count down.

At the end of the day. It is a war game. And the guys playing in origin are so pumped up on the fans' expectations and history behind it all. It's not very surprising.

I will take your tickets to game two if it helps. ;-)

As a union man I remember a frail old Brother telling me after a fight on the pitch " The difference union and league is one is a thugs sport played by gentleman and one is a gentlemans sport played by thugs" still not to sure which is which?

What the HELL are you guys talking about?!?! I'm lost... wacko.png

We're talking about the year's most important event... the State of Origin. A game where; we assign players to a state side based on some convoluted process instead of which state they were born in, grown men run around a field trying get an oddly shaped ball across a line, all the while playing grab-ass with each other... lookaround.gif

It's bit like that other sport AFL, except you don't wear really tight short shorts, try to get piggy-back rides from other players whilst catching a ball, or bounce said ball every few steps for no apparent reason... lol3.gif

I still am not quite sure why there is such a reaction to this one.

league has competed with Soccer, AFL, Union for an eternity.

30 years ago Arthur Beetson clocks Mick Cronin (who I don't think had ever thrown a punch in his life) and Origin becomes an institution. Since then there have been punch ups a plenty and some absolute acts of bastardy ( Boyd etal ). Do people walk away from the game or not let their kids play...sure. However ratings go higher and higher and higher. The game grows.

Here is my prediction. game 2 on June 26 will be the highest TV rating Rugby League game in history.

For every person who is disgusted with the random acts of violence, another 3 turn on to see the potential carnage.

The topics of conversation already are:

"Will Myles get even with Gallen?"

"Will Queensland forwards square up to NSW or roll over again?"

State of Origin has never been umpired to NRL rules when it comes to punch ups. A penalty at best. very few suspensions that I can recall.

Gallens was a cheap shot in the realm of men because he took the shots knowing full well his target was not expecting them. There was no warning through the traditional chest to chest or hands shaping up. It was a straight king hit. Myles who was on the receipt of a swinging arm from the prior tackle was justified in letting his displeasure known (God knows the refs did nothing). A push after the play the ball was quite restrained!

Here is the spin.

I suspect that if Origin becomes a mirror of the weekend NRL game then people WILL walk away in droves and ratings will drop.

That is the reason why the advertising for Origin features 60% big hits and punch ups. They appeal to the majority of their market. It rates.

Is it right considering modern social norms? not really.

Is it the biggest sporting event in Australia? Absolutely. Patrick Smith in the Australian detailed why. It rates hugely and for six weeks dominates both print and electronic media. It is a rating and money making juggernaut.

Gallen is right in one thing. You promote the series as violent. You goad everyone to draw and shed blood. They go out and do so and then everyone goes "tut tut"? His comment last night to remove all acts of violence of Origin advertising is apt.

Will the guys in suits who look at the ratings comply? They have a winning formulae for drawing people in (particularly now that NSW appear to have a resurgent team).

In the majority of cases, people who are appalled are not drinking XXXX/Tooheys or Bundy rum. They are not listening to shock jock radio, MMM and haven't been to a local pub, RSL, football club in a looooong while. They are the heart of Rugby league supporters. They don't follow or have at best a passing interest in Rugby Union, and they sure as hell don't follow AFL. If little Johnny has the physique to be a rugby league forward then he won't be playing soccer past the age of 10!

i don't have a problem with two players in Origin squaring up and having a crack. If people have a problem with that then watch something else. It is part of Origin history and if you psyche elite players to that level (with all the catchphrases of "War" "State against State" etc) then it will be part of the future.

Cheap shots (defined as physically attacking an unaware player) are abhorrent. There is no redeeming nature to them. No strength of character, no honour. I didn't like what Gallen did. I never liked it when Slater use to slide in with his feet to dislodge the ball from a tryscorer or knees to the back in the same situation.

Loved it when both packs went toe to toe when Raudonikis was coaching in the "Cattle Dog" series.

Can you have the latter and not the former. I think so. However to do so, cheap shots need to be suspended for a lengthy spell.

just my 2 cents.

Gallen is right in one thing. You promote the series as violent. You goad everyone to draw and shed blood. They go out and do so and then everyone goes "tut tut"? His comment last night to remove all acts of violence of Origin advertising is apt.

Spot on.