State of Origin game One.....and so it begins

Before you QLDers call Gallan a grub.... dont forget The Kings antics for his reign.

Hell, he even suggested in the commentary tonight that the Maroons should start a scrap to end the Blues first half momentum....

A decent game that had the blues scoreless for the second half. Could be a good series, especially if Inglis and Slater get some ball.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting you go straight to that. refs shocking. gallen had to go. a fix.

but we were crap for 60 minutes. poor tackling, poor kicking, poor decisions, bugger all enthusuiasm. good last 20. nsw tries after shocker ref calls - knock on and 6 more. but we didn't deserve it. too many players carrying small injuries. always a msitake. thank god i'm off to victoria for a week and no internet.

and gallen is a grub.

Before you QLDers call Gallan a grub....

Gallans a grub! The dirty Lannisters draw first blood. Damn.

Was at the game. Qsld were shell shocked first 10 minutes. Didn't recover in the intensity stakes till later.

Should be a good series.

Now to see a game at suncorp!

I see no point pretending it didnt happen. I may as well cut to the chase of what was predictably going to be the first and biggest 'controvesry'.

Do I think Gallans actions were appropriate? Of course not. Along with Sterlo and Gould, I thought he was lucky to stay on field. But as soon as it happened, it was funny to hear Tallis (who was his era's biggest grub, and did the same thing game after game) and Vautin crying foul, when their all might King did that stuff for years for tactical reasons.... The irony and was spread on thick.

It show last night that Gallen is three times the player that Myles is. So you could say 3 Myles to the Gallen ! Lololol

GO THE BLUES!

but we were crap for 60 minutes. poor tackling, poor kicking, poor decisions, bugger all enthusuiasm. good last 20. nsw tries after shocker ref calls - knock on and 6 more. but we didn't deserve it. too many players carrying small injuries. always a msitake. thank god i'm off to victoria for a week and no internet.

and gallen is a grub.

Spot on - the fix was on big time.

The number of times Slater got taken out was amazing - NSW tackled on suspicion all night. NSW had a definite whatever it takes attitude. Whereas Qld seemed as though they were waiting for someone else to make it happen.

The irony of Gallen v Myles and Gallen calling Myles a grub was astounding. Mind you Myles is a grub. And Gallen would know. Gallen could be out for Origin 2 - but I doubt the game would allow it so he will somehow make it.

Qld forwards were dominated for the majority of match - didn't reach parity and thus the game was lost.

Qld forwards were basically entirely crap for first 35 mins - no metres coming out of own half. When they finally got going in last 5 mins of first half and last 20 - 25 mins of second half Qld backline showed what they could do.

Hodges was fantastic - basically carried the entire team and then lifted them in the second half but by then NSW were also making way too many mistakes, which a more experienced team would not do - speculator passes and simple knock ons which kept Qld in the game. Completion rate in second half for NSW was rubbish. But they defended well.

Thought Farah and Lewis had great games. Maloney played really well. NSW pack was good (except Tamou who didnt do much). Pearce did nothing and was lucky that his team will carry him through to survive this year unless they lose the decider in game 3.

The fix will be on for game 2 and Qld will win - the game needs a decider in game 3 and Qld will lift (and probably couldn't play any worse than they did in the first half).

Well done New South Wales clap.gif

Completely outplayed, out enthused and out muscled Queensland in game one.

If they took their chances in the first half they could have been up by 20 points + by halftime which would have been a fair reflection of the game to that point.

In Short

1. Thurston had a shocker and never looked like getting the Qld backs firing. he will need to find some form before game two or we are in big trouble.
  2. Gallen is a grub...but I like him clap.gif The one NSW player I would love to have in the Qld team and the one player upon the renaissance of NSW spirit revival has been based.
  3. Qld better find some forwards who can hit hard and make metres. Scott was excellent, Teo and Gillett not bad. Shillington must be worried. Harrison to go. It has been 3 years since Qld forwards have been dominant.
  4. Hodges brilliant. Inglis missing. Hodges/Tate centres for game two, Inglis to fullback (to get him in the game at every opportunity) Slater to wing with a roving commission.
  5. NSW played with speed, mobility, aggression: that is Origin

Game 2 will be a different kettle of fish. Qld were embarrassed in game one. If they don't win game 2 and stamp their mark then the great maroon era is over. Still (somehow) it was only 14-6. The score flattered Qld.

I run the serious risk of being shouted down here but I may learn something at the very least. Watched the game last night very the couch down in sunny Melbourne and found the some things perplexing. But I am just an ignorant Victorian. What would I know.

For the record i play Aussie Rules at a fairly decent standard. I love contact sports. I love the contest, the intensity and even the brutality. But what I don't get is how anyone can support, justify or not outrightly condemn thuggish behaviour that would get you a prison sentence if committed in a bar or public place.

Andrew Johns interviewed Gallan after the game with a grin on his face talking about what happened. Daley has called it a 'great origin moment'. Each year the commentators talk about it as if it is part of the game. Turn it up.

Gallan cheap shotted Myles (who eveyone says devserves it which I will just have to acknowledge as I really dont know) in a tackle and then belted him twice as his arms hung by his side.

Remember Barry Hall from the Swans king hitting Brent Staker from the Eagles? 8 weeks. See ya later. Guilty plea. Public apologies. Public condemnations. Gallan deserves a LOOOONG stint on the sidelines and then maybe every mother watching wouldn't stop her young son playing NRL and it could grow into new markets.

Rugby League is a terrific TV sport. It's brutality is fantastic. But there is nothing brave, nothing hard and nothing worth praising about punching someone repeatedly in front on thousands of kids at the game and millions on TV. Want to fight? Take up UFC. It's what holds the NRL back from being embraced nation wide.

Other than that I really enjoyed the game. 13 meatheads smashing into another 13 meatheads. Who wouldn't love watching that? Bring on game 2.

I'm not condoning or justifying the actions and behaviors that you're talking about, Isotonic... However Origin is, and has always been a different kettle of fish. I could use all sorts of superlatives to try and explain why it's different... but it's all going to sound like stroking and bullshit... We hate the QLDers... And they hate us back even more so... We never agree on anything when it's comes to origin - except that we both love it dearly.

I love AFL, but there is no AFL equivalent of Origin to make any reasonable comparison. Hell, I can't even think of any other sport that has an equivalent.

I see no point pretending it didnt happen. I may as well cut to the chase of what was predictably going to be the first and biggest 'controvesry'.

Do I think Gallans actions were appropriate? Of course not. Along with Sterlo and Gould, I thought he was lucky to stay on field. But as soon as it happened, it was funny to hear Tallis (who was his era's biggest grub, and did the same thing game after game) and Vautin crying foul, when their all might King did that stuff for years for tactical reasons.... The irony and was spread on thick.

last night's game aside, because we certainly didn't deserve to win...

gallen is a top player but he is a thug and a grub and to compare him to lewis, on any level, is disgraceful. all this stuff you think justifies gallen was last century.

league has to compete with afl, rugby, soccer. the game evolves. the odd handbags at ten feet brawl is one thing but what gallen did last night set league back years. the core fans, probably on both sides, will love it, but how many parents made the decision that instant, that their kids will NOT play league. last night's game was the best free kick afl and soccer could have ever dreamed of. well done, gallen, the refs and the commentators!

the refs had a chance to salvage something and they failed utterly and completely. they were either incompetent, spineless or fixed. either way, they should never ref origin again.

tell me what the response would have been if it had been thaiday or myles or teo with cheap shots on pearce or any nsw player? you think they'd be playing any time in the next couple of months? or remained on the field?

the authorities have a chance to show they are serious and wipe this from the game. to show parents and fans that the game has moved beyond thuggery and the sort of grubby acts you'd expect in a prison yard. if they don't they should also be removed. we will now find out whether this new bloke has a spine.

off to victoria.

Gallen is a dog.

nice punches though...

Mediocre. Two free shots like that and he's still standing.

I love AFL, but there is no AFL equivalent of Origin to make any reasonable comparison.

Hell, I can't even think of any other sport that has an equivalent.

Not quite AFL, but I think International Rules Football has had their fair share of fights.

Apologies for the music on this video even though it isn't mine. Top two comments are fabulous.

And let us not forget Ice Hockey.

I think it was Rodney Dangerfield who said "I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out."

Everyone is blowing this all out of proportion. Those weren't punches, they were just "love taps"... whistle.gif

Exactly, either Miles has a solid chin or Gallen hits like a girl, with three (got an upper cut in a second later) shots that couldn't drop him that is soft.

All I can say is "Give me AFL any day" I couldn't even be bothered staying up and watching the game last night.

I agree with Isotonic if someone was hit like that in another code of football, they would be gone for a long sit on the bench or couch at home.

Great show of "sportsmanship" for the young kids watching their "heros" of the game, who just want to be like them. thumbsdwn.gif

Di and KG, I love you both dearly.. But the comments saying its not good for the kids to see that kind of thing... Though I'm not condoning the fights or punches - seeing that stuff in the 80's and 90's didn't stop parents letting kids play then. It's likely not going to stop them now.

Pissing in pants on field. Drinking and abuse of women. Off field antics.... That's what will stop parents wanting their kids being associated with Leauge,

All I can say is "Give me AFL any day"

But don't you get a point for missing in AFL? Well done Little johnny you almost scored a goal, you just are not good enough, but as a result we will give you a point for trying here is a ribbon to take home to mummy. rotfl.gif

hat's off to Myles...clocked with some crackers and never went down lol3.gif

In the end this is a man's sport, hyped up and played at an intensity that defies social norms.

Record TV audience in Oz ...Tick

Full stadium...Tick

Second game sold out...Tick

Third game to be sold out....Tick

Sponsors happy...Tick. League Happy ....Tick.

Origin is a game played by players where they know the rules of brutality have been thrown mostly out the window. People love watching a train wreck. It rates.

The closest thing to the movie "Rollerball" you will find. It is Nero marketing at its basest....."gladiators for the masses"

All the people say it was cheap shot. The hit in the tackle was a dog act but hey, it happens both ends. Myles got up from the tackle, gave him a shove and then got up in his grill. What to expect, he's already snuck a cheap in the tackle. You get up in someones face expect a few to fly especially during Origin. They were both squared off. He took it like a man. Legend!

Don't know what the fuss is about really, should make for a great series. QLD has this!

954768_452059501551700_2075938130_n.jpg

hat's off to Myles...clocked with some crackers and never went down lol3.gif

The closest thing to the movie "Rollerball" you will find. It is Nero marketing at its basest....."gladiators for the masses"

Too true. Well said.

If it comes down to a decider, how about a mid-week session on the deck for the final game?