Gatsby. Great or not?

mazolaman

Waddayou think?

Personally, I thought it was not great.

Whether it was due to my thinking of the book, and the film missing much of the film's nuances, or my dislike of the music of Jay Z banging it's way through it...maybe even Lerhman's ott direction style.

Anyone else seen it?

not seen it and no real interest. as far as i am concerned (and yes, heresy for an aussie to say this), baz lurmann's directing is the film equivaalent of the emperor's new clothes. it is all flash and sizzle and big screen special effects and bugger all substance. 'australia' - the supposedly great aussie film - was dull as ditchwater. 'moulin rouge', or at least as much of it as i could stomach, was little more than pompous perfume ad. 'romeo and juliet' was like a giant music video but hard to go too far wrong when you have the greatest scrpitwriter of all time.

totally overrated. don't understand why you would get him to direct gatsby.

I loved it, but mostly because it's one of my favorite books so I just liked seeing the great story be played out. I understand how a lot of people won't like the style or the music (I'm an enormous Jay-Z fan, but I can see how some of the music rubs people the wrong way).

Whatever people say about the movie on the whole, Dicaprio deserves some recognition for his performance, which was pretty spectacular.

I'm gonna see it again in the cinema soon and I'll probably get the DVD to watch with my girlfriend when it comes out.

not seen it and no real interest. as far as i am concerned (and yes, heresy for an aussie to say this), baz lurmann's directing is the film equivaalent of the emperor's new clothes. it is all flash and sizzle and big screen special effects and bugger all substance. 'australia' - the supposedly great aussie film - was dull as ditchwater. 'moulin rouge', or at least as much of it as i could stomach, was little more than pompous perfume ad. 'romeo and juliet' was like a giant music video but hard to go too far wrong when you have the greatest scrpitwriter of all time.

x2

Just don't get all the Luhrmann hype...

Yeah, I thought Tobay Maguire and Elizabeth Debicki acted well, but there was little room for good acting, beyond the big bang direction.

Essentially, a showcase for Jay Z and 3D...why 3D?

I enjoyed some of the visual aspects such as lighting, fashion, architecture, etc... But I felt it was missing some things. Not sure how to quite rate it at this point. I do think that a different director would have helped and personally, the music damaged my experience. I don't think rap/debstep was the right choice. It certainly was better than I expected though. I think some reviews are practically terrorizing it...I mean all in all an insane amount of work went into the film both, especially the aesthetic it had

Did not like it. It was like I watched one screenplay and director for the first half and was hoping the movie would slow its pace and actually make sense, then a completely different screenplay and director for the 2nd half that I was begging for it to speed up and develop the story line. It was basically 2 sepereate movies , and both fell short. Sometime having modern era music in an era accurate piece has worked, and I know it's Baz's M/O. It's worked for him on numerous movies.......this was not one of them!!!!! Having modern music in this era pic was a brutal and almost negligent mistake and big bomb. For a while I thought the first half of the movie was sponsored by Jay-Z.

Leo was fantastic as always, so were some of the other actors, but it fell short, which is ironic, since it was about 50 minutes too long. This had every chance to be awesome and epic, and I think with a different director and different screenplay, it could have been, but it is what it is now, and I believe the Box Office numbers and critic's reviews back me up.

"Could have been amazing, but actively blew!" = zero substance , all smoke and mirror for the senses, but that can't overcome the Brain's need to have actual substance and structure. Let the story dictate the movie, don't let the movie dictate the story!

Do you self a favor and check out the Francis Ford Coppala , Robert Redford and Mia Farrow version from '83-'84. It's in a different category all together.

That being said, it's Oscar worthy compared to Hangover III.

Do you self a favor and check out the Francis Ford Coppala , Robert Redford and Mia Farrow version from '83-'84. It's in a differen category all together.

yes, hard act to follow. i wondered whether simply trying to make it a completely different movie influenced baz and if it resulted in a lesser movie.

I completely agree with Ken on this. I am not a fan of Baz Lurmann, every movie he's made is a visual spectacle but without a decent script. It's like a Ferrari without an engine. Looks good, but doesn't have the Moxy.

I'm a movie fan so of course I'll still watch it, but I'd prefer to do so at home. Unfortunately my wife wants to watch this tomorrow night so we're off to the cinema.

I may in the end stand corrected so will post my views next Monday. smile.png

I completely agree with Ken on this. I am not a fan of Baz Lurmann, every movie he's made is a visual spectacle but without a decent script. It's like a Ferrari without an engine. Looks good, but doesn't have the Moxy.

I'm a movie fan so of course I'll still watch it, but I'd prefer to do so at home. Unfortunately my wife wants to watch this tomorrow night so we're off to the cinema.

I may in the end stand corrected so will post my views next Monday. smile.png

Mine said the same thing

I managed to drag her to Iron Man 3 instead spotlight.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Needed more hip hop. Visuals good that's about it.

One of the most tragic lines ever: 'you love me... too?'

Needed more hip hop. Visuals good that's about it.

One of the most tragic lines ever: 'you love me... too?'

????no.gif