Jack Reacher

Skyfall

I watched Jack Reacher last night. I went in with low expectations, but really enjoyed it! Probably wy favorite Tom Cruise roll ever. It is definitely an action packed thriller worth a watch.

Being from Pittsburgh I thoroughly enjoyed this movie showed many different iconic spots of Pittsburgh. Very good story with that left you hanging till the end

not seen the movie but will try and catch it at some stage.

i read a few of the books and enjoyed them. then i saw an interview with a number of thriller writers including lee child (who apparently changed his name from jim grant because the 'C' meant he was higher up the alphabet and it had to be a short name for book covers).

one of the other authors made the point that it was important for readers to like the writer if they ever met him or had anything to do with him - must say i didn't think it would bother me. but lee child came across as the most pompous arrogant tosser imaginable. utterly detestable bloke (the others all came across as good blokes, the sort you'd enjoy a beer with). this bloke, you wouldn't spit on if he was burning.

since that day, i have never picked up another of his books and never will.

was amazed at just how correct the other bloke was (i think it was bryce courtney or matthew reilly?). shouldn't make a difference but it does.

Just saw the movie. Thought it was pretty dreadful to be honest. I like a bit of an action flick, but the long scenes of Tom Cruise brooding (and the way he played arrogant / indestructible) turned me off the character completely. Found myself rooting for the bad guys pretty early.

I'm gonna see it (seriously...he's an MP!), and I and my wife have read some of the books.

However, while I'm always 50/50 on Tom Cruise, I'm still pretty upset that he did this movie. Just the nature of the role, and how the books were wrote - this needed to be someone like the Rock or Channing Tatum or someone else built big and tall.

I am a fan of the Jack Reacher series (well, except the last book, kinda phoned in that one). However, I can't say I will be in a rush to watch the film. Fans of the character are already calling for a reboot with a more believable actor in the role. I'll watch it went it comes on Foxtel, but I ain't in a hurry.

Saw it recently on the plane. Zero expectations and not really a fan of Tom Cruise anymore but really enjoyed it. It's better than the Justin Beiber documentary at least!

Enjoyed it - thought it well written and acted all around. Not the biggest fan of Cruise, but thought he (regular guy versus cartoon hero guy) made the character more believable - as much as possible with a movie......

• 3 weeks later...

Read and enjoyed the books. Haven't seen the movie yet, on one hand I would like to see it and on the other hand I'm not sure if I want to, Cruise is nothing like Reacher and cant stand him.

• 3 months later...

I've read several Lee Child books and I think Tom Cruise was just about the worst actor to play Jack Reacher. There are lots of references to his size in the books, and Tom just doesn't stack up. Reacher is supposed to be something like late 30's, blond hair, 6'6', and 240 pounds. Not exactly Tom Cruise.

• 3 months later...

I recently finished all of the Jack Reacher books, 17 I think it was argh. Some how I enjoy Tom Cruise but not as Reacher! The movie was better then expected but Tom Cruise would have been one of my last choices. Personally I like Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp much better and find his writing much better than Child's. Child's it a bit long winded and way too detailed. But the Jack Reacher character is pretty bad ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished all of the Jack Reacher books, 17 I think it was argh. Some how I enjoy Tom Cruise but not as Reacher! The movie was better then expected but Tom Cruise would have been one of my last choices. Personally I like Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp much better and find his writing much better than Child's. Child's it a bit long winded and way too detailed. But the Jack Reacher character is pretty bad ass.

I feel the same

Loved the Mitch Rapp series

Its only a shame that there wont be anymore and one is rumored to be staying unfinished

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great Cruise fan although I enjoyed the picture , but thought the ending was abit of a let down.

Robert Duvall is a master though top job!