Cracking Wrappers

davidl

I usually store my cigars in a Thermoelectric Wine cooler, at around 65-65. I turn off the power on the cooler during winter months, when the temp never rises above 67F. Cigars are stored in their original boxes, and I am using a digital Caliper III hygrometer that I have known to be accurate.

However, a couple months ago (Winter in Israel), my cigar wrappers started cracking when I held them in my hand to smoke. I figured that the humidity was too low, causing the leaf not to be supple enough, and pushed the humidity up to 67%.

However, my wrappers are still cracking. I’m not really sure if I should push the humidity up, or down….and would very much appreciate some feedback! Cracking Wrappers

Not sure what I am doing wrong

I usually store my cigars in a Thermoelectric Wine cooler, at around 65-65. I turn off the power on the cooler during winter months, when the temp never rises above 68F. Cigars are stored in their original boxes, and I am using a digital Caliper III hygrometer that I have known to be accurate.

However, a couple months ago (Winter in Israel), my cigar wrappers started cracking when I held them in my hand to smoke. I figured that the humidity was too low, causing the leaf not to be supple enough, and pushed the humidity up to 67%.

However, my wrappers are still cracking. I’m not really sure if I should push the humidity up, or down….and would very much appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

what is the temp and humidity in the place that u smoke them?

as an aside, where in israel are u located?

I believe temp/Humidity today was about 87 F and 40 RH. A rather warm day for this early in the spring, I'm not sure what the temp was last few times I smoked...but I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near what it was today. I smoke outside. Will PM you location.

My rookie observation, you say you've known your hygrometer to be accurate and I have no experience with the Caliper III, so cannot speak to its performance. Have you completed a recent calibration test on it (i.e. salt test or one of the commercial tests available)? Replaced the hygrometer batteries recently? Just two relatively simple, and inexpensive, trouble shooting steps I've used in the past.

Working on a bit of an experiment right now that is a kind of variation of the dry box process. It came about after returning from the herf in Montreal. See, I came home with so many singles I did not want to sort them out into boxes in my fridge and cooler, so I fired up one of my old wood box humidors.

I keep bunches of cigars in open ziplock bags, in the box humidor with minimal humidification. A small gel bead vessel. These are our "smoking stock". They have been in great condition for smoking and the singles get smoked!

My rookie observation, you say you've known your hygrometer to be accurate and I have no experience with the Caliper III, so cannot speak to its performance. Have you completed a recent calibration test on it (i.e. salt test or one of the commercial tests available)? Replaced the hygrometer batteries recently? Just two relatively simple, and inexpensive, trouble shooting steps I've used in the past.

Paul - I tested my hygrometer about a year ago with a boveda calibration kit, I also replaced the batteries every 6 months or so. It is definitly possible that my hygrometer is off...but not probable.

Hi David,

Where are you located?

I am storing the same way, I have two meters per cooler and I do a salt test every six months.

also, do you use AC to warm the room where the cooler is stored?

follow this link to run a salt test:

http://www.cigarpass...hygrometer.html

Smokeinpeace - You forget - I consulted with you a few years ago before buying my wine cooler biggrin.png

It seems like the general consensus is that the wrappers are cracking due to the huge variation in RH between my Humi and outside where I smoke. Solutions being lower my RH in the humi, or dry box a small quantity of cigars for smoking. I would rather not dry box, as I don't have a regular smoking schedule...and don't want to "plan" my smokes. Maybe lowering the humidity to 64% will do the job?

Will lower humidity affect the flavor of my cigars?

I would still re-calibrate the hygrometer - one year is a long time, especially if you've changed the batteries in the meantime.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys. I am testing all solutions discussed here and will report back when I have a definitive handle on what the issue was.

So far, I dry boxed a cigar for a couple days and the smoke was good, no cracking. However, it wasn't has hot outside as it was previous time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem but it also seems that my smokes are dry as well as cracking. I haven't tried leaving them out because of that.I felt they didn't have enough humidity. I have about 20 sticks left and they are in a glass air-tight container with a bolveda 65% and 70% inside. What do you think?

I have about 20 sticks left and they are in a glass air-tight container with a bolveda 65% and 70% inside. What do you think?

What is the purpose of having a boveda 65% & 70% RH pack in the same air-tight container? Seems to me that the 65% would be trying to absorb the excess humidity over 65%, whilst the 70% would be trying to release more moisture for anything below 70%. i.e Both mainly being in conflict.

Better to have either one or the other or keep the same RH packs inside. Maybe it is just me.

I took out the 70% pack and placed it in another empty air-tight container (awaiting a package). So the sticks I have now are sitting at 65%. I'll smoke one this weekend to see if there's any difference. Thanks

Sort of related. But whatever, I have figured out a new way to make cigar glue. Inexpensive (super cheap!!), tasteless and lasts pretty much forever. I made it with 1 envelope of Knox Geletin from the regular grocery store.

The directions say to dissolve the contents in a smaller amount of boiling water, stirring constantly. Did that with microwaving the water first in a 4 cup measuring cup. 2cups of water makes gelatin. I used 4 cups of water.

You have to let the water come close to dry on your fingers so it is sticky to do the job. Another feature is the glue it invisible and matte finish.

post-8371-0-39674400-1366946555_thumb.jp

post-8371-0-80711700-1366946585_thumb.jp

Hello. This is one of the more frequent problems with people that have thermo. Just remember that humidity that registers on your hygrometer may not necessarily be reflecting the internal humidity of the cigar. Let me explain.

You have a fridge that takes air from outside, circulating it in your fridge that contain (guessing) many boxes. Now, you have beads that release/absorb moisture, and boxes that are basically the mediums that are "regulating" the humidity. Because your fridge is not a CLOSED system - like say, an Aristocrat cabinet - your boxes may actually be releasing humidity in order to reach an equilibrium. Put your hygrometer outside your fridge and take a reading of your surroundings. If you have negative pressure and low humidity in your house, your cigars are basically releasing its moisture.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"you could try rinsing your cigar prior to smoking. I've not tried it myself, but other members have, with positive results."

Think about it: your cigar is properly humidified,and you enter a zone of 40% humidity.What happens to that lovely wrapper when it hits the dry air? It shrinks and splits.

I have been wetting my cigars before smoking for decades for this very reason.Nothing is more frustrating than sitting down for a fine cigar and watching the cigar self-destruct.Wetting techniques are easy to find,and it awakens the wrapper ,adding to the flavors.

The other possibility is that your sticks are over moist,and when you light them the internal moisture causes swelling and hence cracked wrappers.I expect you will find it is one of these...