My first box from Czar!

Great choice. They were frozen once, why freeze again?.....

Maybe Im unaware of the practices of vendors/hsa freezing. Who froze these? Are all new cigars being frozen? Im paranoid and will still most likely freeze because i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Great choice. They were frozen once, why freeze again?.....

^ This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x 100

Maybe Im unaware of the practices of vendors/hsa freezing. Who froze these? Are all new cigars being frozen? Im paranoid and will still most likely freeze because i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I can't remember the year it started, but early to mid 2000's HSA started freezing everything before shipping to distributors.

Thanks guys. I was pretty pleased when I saw it was delivered today. It was shipped on the 20th! party.gif

I can't remember the year it started, but early to mid 2000's HSA started freezing everything before shipping to distributors.

Interesting. I wonder the practices they use though. Cuba being cuba isnt worth losing what I have in cigars. It might not be a lot to some but its a lot to me. I'll stick to its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info though.

Thanks guys. I was pretty pleased when I saw it was delivered today. It was shipped on the 20th! party.gif

Interesting. I wonder the practices they use though. Cuba being cuba isnt worth losing what I have in cigars. It might not be a lot to some but its a lot to me. I'll stick to its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info though.

From what I understand (I believe from a post Rob made a couple of years ago) They are large holding room commercial freezers. Boxes of cigars get frozen palates at a time.The thread containing all of the details is here on the forum somewhere, it's been a year or so since I've read it. Maybe Rob will chime in. From what I've read, it's a pretty efficient process. Same concept as commercially flash frozen food. If it works so well with food, cigars and beetles should be a breeze.

My 2 cents, I wouldn't put my sticks through a second (or first) freezing process for that matter. Use the energy involved in freezing your sticks and reallocate that same energy in maintaining proper storing conditions, and beetles will never be a worry. I've got a lot of stock pre and post HSA freezing and I've been smoking for a lot of years, and I have never frozen anything myself and have never had a beetle issue whatsoever.

The only "stories" I hear anymore about beetle problems usually are in regard to fakes, grey market sticks (that didn't pass through HSA final stage freezing, and custom rolls. Still, the main variable in these stories is usually inadequate storing conditions.

I think it was started around 2005-2006. They have four huge facilities made for mass deep freezing. Cigars are taken down to -4F for 5 days and then slowly brought back to normal temp before shipping. I believe it is done at a center in Guanabacoa, a suburb of Havana.

In December 2012 I bought some RA Superiores at the LCDH in Cozumel and a few days later I had holes in my cigars.

A lot of things in Mexico are questionable.......

I've never frozen any of my cigars, and never had a single problem. I am very meticulous about my storage conditions and always make sure the temperature never goes above 70.

I agree with Skyfall.

Those cigars look beautiful BTW!

I used to freeze, but don't anymore. The keys are, one, trust your supplier and two, don't let your humidor get above 70 degrees F where eggs could hatch. Personally opinion is the less stress I can put my cigars through, the better they can be.

I think if you have a reliable source and you know your box has not been around the world a few times

there is little need to freeze now. In my years and (who knows) hundred boxes of cubans I never had a problem

with beetles. In my cuban collection

However... with NC's... THAT is a different story. Which is why I stress don't keep your NC's with your cubans,

unless you freeze those also. (and freezing could only help an NC I say! )

The thought of putting my 520's through another stress of freezing when the chance of beetles is slim,

well, thats not for me.

But, other people are not me and if it gives you security, freeze away.

I was just surprised how many times I hear people refreezing the cubans.

Again, great score on the box you have.

Yea HSA started freezing in 2005 but cuba is one of the last countries I'd trust with any quality control. I didn't freeze last sumer but started freezing this winter as my collection grew. For those that have access to temperature control it's not as important, but I don't so it'll get hot in the summer. I do it because it doesn't make the cigars taste any different, and it's free and just takes a week. Why risk something that can cause so much damage when prevention is so easy?

Nice pick ups Michael! After getting a box in myself, I wish I had a couple more. Only if they were priced like the grand edmundos...

These are great looking cigars. Cant wait to try one and then all of them are going to the bottom of the cooler

Very nice score.

I am anxiously awaiting my first arrival as well.

Good luck! Im waiting on my second. Fingers crossed!