Apple Macbook Air or Asus Zenbook?

Guest Robo

Which do I get?

The specific models i'm comparing are the Macbook Air 11" 128GB and the Asus Zenbook UX21E. Both are latest release ultras but I get the sense that the Mac is built better. I'm concerned about any Mac compatability issues. I need to do the following: a) connect to a Blackberry modem via Bluetooth, b ) VPN into my corporate network, c) Remote desktop onto a Windows machine. Anyone have experience doing this? Any issues?

Thx!

Rob

I use the MacBook Air and am very satisfied. I have not connected it to a Blackberry, although I have tethered it to an iPhone via Bluetooth. I use a Cisco VPN and also LogMeIn for remote desktop, both work well. In addition, I use VMWare to run multiple virtual environments including several versions of Windows (XP and Win7) and Linux (Debian). This allows me to run a wide range of Windows software and also support multiple OS environments.

I do a lot of travel and have found the MacBook to be durable and easy to carry. It is highly resistant to cigar ash and burns.

It is highly resistant to cigar ash and burns.

This is a very important point! rotfl.gif

I guess you upgraded your RAM to 8GB if you're running VM?

I have just purchased an iMac mini and I am thrilled with it. Matthew has the iPad 3 (we call his the maxipad and mine the minipad LOL).I got it to replace my lost Kobo which I use at least an hour a day for reading. Now I use it for my iPhone functions and many of my MacBook Pro stuff too. The battery usage is superior to my iPhone 4s and it does everything but phone.I would not get the MacBook Air because it does not have the guts or the resources of a Mac computer, but it is big and expensive for an ereader and tablet/phone type device. I am a mac user only.L

post-8371-0-72666800-1363634333_thumb.jp

Lisa - now we know u love apple biggrin.png

Robo - its simple. depends if u wnat mac or pc. thumbsup.gif

I wish it was that simple. no.gif I want a Mac, but need a PC (or at least be able to control a PC remotely)

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Air 13 inch maxed out on ram and memory.......I have only experienced one issue - it only happens in the morning, when i wakes up and within the first hour if I am running too many apps, a streaming video or skype, it will shut down, presumably from heat - I even have it on a chill pad.

Ive noticed if I dont plug in the power source cable until after an hour or so in the office, it doesnt happen.

I also dropped it on a tile floor and while the corner is a little bent, no damage at all.

Id go MBA!

The build quality on the MBA is outstanding. Just don't drop it, those thin aluminum corners like to bend :P

If concerned with lack of windows compatibility you can always bootcamp windows on a partition. If you don't need OSX running in the background, this way your not running a VM and using precious memory. ( assuming your going for a near base model MBA )

How about this?? Alienware M14x - I just purchased one myself and my specs are the following;

At it's core yes, it is a gaming laptop built for High performance, BUT there is no reason why it can't be used for business (Which I also use it for) and the like as it runs rings around most laptops on the market. For a 14 inch.

alienware-m14x-r2-blk-rt-franch-314.jpg

Processor: 3rd Gen Intel i7-3840QM (6Mb Cache up to 3.7GHz w/turbo boost 2.0)

Operating System: Windows 8 64bit

Memory: 16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive: 64 GB mSATA SSD and 750 GB 7200 Rpm Hardrive

Video card: 2 GB GDDR5 GeForceGT 650M NVIDIA Optimus technology

BluRay player

Wireless card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0

alienware-m14x-r2-feature5.jpg

alienware-m14x-r2-feature3.jpg

alienware-m14x-r2-feature4.jpg

Spinning platter hard drives are the equivalent of dinosaurs at this point. There is a reason batteries and hard drives (spinning platter) are the most frequently replaced parts on portables.

A hard drive is the bottleneck for speed as it has the slowest data transfer speed and is prone to failure. A solid state (like in the mbair) is significantly less likely to fail and has transfer speeds way beyond even high rpm hard drives

Also windows is the worst operating system available. After living in the Mac OS for a few years after 20+ of windows and building my own pcs, ill never go back.

I am a recent convert and a big fan of the Macbook line (have an air 11 and 13 and will upgrade to a 13" Macbook Pro as soon as they give it top line components). OSX is great and while Macs have limited customization, the walled garden is actually quite comforting to me. The Mac touchpad is a dream that makes controlling your laptop as intuitive as controlling an IOS or Android device. As far as software compatibility goes, Parallels, Vmware Fusion and Bootcamp are options in some cases.

I've never owned any computer that wasn't apple, apple is a very modern product that has great user interface, with no issues in viruses or connections. I love my MacBook Air personally! I've never had a problem with A B or C you mention. In the end it's just a matter of preference.

Also windows is the worst operating system available. After living in the Mac OS for a few years after 20+ of windows and building my own pcs, ill never go back.

ugh, I cant agree more, I haven't used a windows based computer since XP and recently partitioned my drive to run a bootcamp of windows ( solely for the purpose of playing SimCity 5... yes yes I know, nerd alert. )... Within 5 minutes of having Windows 7 which is still a relevant Operating system today, I wanted to pull all of my hair from my head.. Horrible.

I would have to disagree on the Win 7 comments- I think it's a great OS (not sure about Win8, however). I rarely have any problems. I think all modern OS's are pretty great, it's just a matter of what you like and need. Then again, I am a guy who likes and uses OSX, Win 7, Android and IOS, so I'm sure that's not the norm.

Edit- Alright, I like OSX more, but they are both very good OS's.

Windows 7 is the best windows OS since XP and nt4.0. 8 is a digital disgrace and is one of the least intuitive UI I have ever seen.

Still coming to terms with Windows 8 pro. I suspect it is far better than I can get out of it. Will give it another month but you are right in that it is not very intuitive.

The new Dell XPS Ultra is excellent. great screen, great tablet dymanic, I7, 8 Ram, SSD.

For me it is a no brainer Apple Apple every time, ease of use, build quality etc etc

Add another to the MBA vote. I'll say this. Apples customer service has been top notch for me. I've had two issues out of all the apple products I've owned (Every iPhone, iphones for the wife, multiple MBPs, ipad, and numerous iPods). The first was a battery problem on a MBP out of warranty. They replaced it for free. The second was today on my iPhone 5. The sleep button didn't work. I walked in and they gave me a new iPhone.

I don't know about Asus customer service but I can tell you the few times I've had to use apple they've been great. Either way best of luck.

Faced the same decision a few months ago but decided I wanted to stay with a PC for my work computer. Ended up with a Asus Zenbook and love it. It is essentially a PC version of the MacBook Air.

Still coming to terms with Windows 8 pro. I suspect it is far better than I can get out of it. Will give it another month but you are right in that it is not very intuitive.

The new Dell XPS Ultra is excellent. great screen, great tablet dymanic, I7, 8 Ram, SSD.

I don't mind Windows 8 BUT much prefer the Windows 7 OS. I might actually revert back to Win7.