consistency

ive seen many threads about consistency from stick to stick or box to box but i have not found one from year to year. do some brands stay the same from year to year and some change or do they all change dramatically from year to year?

i can see some years being better than others because of weather and other natural factors but is the profile generally the same from year to year withina brand or are some brands wildly different and some the same?

IMO, the most consistent cigars are RyJ, Cohiba, Partagas, and Ramon Allones. Montecristo has great variation in quality. Juan Lopez is a hit or miss (I might also include Bolivar although there are probably quite a few that'd disagree).

Juan Lopez, Fonseca and Sancho Panza are the most consistent cigars from Cuba, so is Bolivar, so is QdO, so is Cohiba when from El laguito, so is Ramon Allones, when from Partagas, so is Trinidad, when from Francisco Donatien, so is Por Larrañaga Montecarlos and most of PCs, when from La Corona, so is Partagas Salomones, D4s and P2s, when from Partagas, so is Upmann, when from Upmann.....

the variables for above cigars are mostly harvests, IMHO

I think It has to do with the batches of tobacco used each year. Depending on how consistently the farmers grow the tobacco there will be variations in the final product. You also have to account for the curing process and then the final storage.

My question is, is there a different farm for each marca?

I am in awe that there is any sort of consistency from year to year when you think about all the steps that go into making a cigar. Production from various years/seasons mixed (wrapper/binder/filler). The different vegas (farms) and yet the master blenders are able to "know" what my beloved Sanchos, Rafeals, Allones, Boli's and such should have as a "core" profile and give that to me.

One of the things I am grateful out of Habanos, SA is the box codes that let us hunt for what we like and buy it up...but even then code only refers to when the cigar was boxed (not when rolled) and where it was rolled. Even within a box you could have cigars off different rolling tables due to the color sorting that happens before boxing.

WIne is the closest product to cigars when it comes to this level of variety and it amazes me when cigar smokers demand a level of consistency that is impossible. The wine folks understand reality and accept it as part of the game...and many of us do to.

I am in awe that there is any sort of consistency from year to year when you think about all the steps that go into making a cigar. Production from various years/seasons mixed (wrapper/binder/filler). The different vegas (farms) and yet the master blenders are able to "know" what my beloved Sanchos, Rafeals, Allones, Boli's and such should have as a "core" profile and give that to me.

One of the things I am grateful out of Habanos, SA is the box codes that let us hunt for what we like and buy it up...but even then code only refers to when the cigar was boxed (not when rolled) and where it was rolled. Even within a box you could have cigars off different rolling tables due to the color sorting that happens before boxing.

WIne is the closest product to cigars when it comes to this level of variety and it amazes me when cigar smokers demand a level of consistency that is impossible. The wine folks understand reality and accept it as part of the game...and many of us do to.

Good point about the wine and yes we need to accept and embrace vintage variations in wine. My issue with cigars are the variations within the same year, same vitola, same box codes which makes it a real challenge. I guess it's down to having good sources to make sure you get the best boxes and in certain cases you also need some luck!

From my (very) limited experience, I would rate Cohiba, RA and HDM as being fairly consistent (by this I mean that I light one up with a reasonable belief they will be "on"). Montes and RyJ not so much, and haven't had enough of other marcas to feel I can make a call either way.