Montecristo band?

Weeklystogie

Just looking again at some cigar bands that I have (need to get a life), I was wondering about the band off my plugged Monte 2 that I had the other day. It has the embossing on the fleur de lys but the graphics extend all the way out past the end of the left side of the band. I've always seen the Montecristo band end on both sides, like the photos on cubancigarwebsite. Can this be normal or is this a suspect band (and cigar)? Thanks everyone.

post-16563-0-72856000-1362952093_thumb.j

Just looking again at some cigar bands that I have (need to get a life), I was wondering about the band off my plugged Monte 2 that I had the other day. It has the embossing on the fleur de lys but the graphics extend all the way out past the end of the left side of the band. I've always seen the Montecristo band end on both sides, like the photos on cubancigarwebsite. Can this be normal or is this a suspect band (and cigar)? Thanks everyone.

Color looks off (doesn't match pre-2006 band or the 2006-2012 band). Pre-2006 band should be lighter and the 2006-2012 bad should be darker (plum color).

Hmm. Maybe it is cut off. The band is 74mm on this one.

Length is about right, so the printing is wrong....which is unlikely.

It is not possible to tell if the colour is okay due to exposure variations.....but yes, it does look wrong. You would have to photograph together with a real band.

Interesting - unfortunately this is the only Monte band I have, well what came from a box of ten. The color on it does look darker in person than in the photo I think due to the flash. Here's a pic of the box that it came from. Maybe I'll need to come up with a different Monte band for comparison. I think the box looks pretty good, the Habanos seal is attached a little high but otherwise seems pretty good.

post-16563-0-32559300-1362972424_thumb.j

post-16563-0-04233500-1362972499_thumb.j

Interesting - unfortunately this is the only Monte band I have, well what came from a box of ten. The color on it does look darker in person than in the photo I think due to the flash. Here's a pic of the box that it came from. Maybe I'll need to come up with a different Monte band for comparison. I think the box looks pretty good, the Habanos seal is attached a little high but otherwise seems pretty good.

Ok those look legit. I was confused I think b/c of the lighting in your first pic. Box looks right (swiss box).

The warrenty seal position is a concern.

I'm curious about this because i find, particularly with skinny/10 count boxes, that the Cote de arms is never on the edge in order to fit the barcode on the front face of the box.

But having said that i think i have a total of 2 boxes where they lined up with edge :S

It came with the new paper insert with Habanos DOP up on the top right. The box seal is also the newer one with the DOP letters. The DOP letters on the box seal don't show up that well in the photo because the seal is placed kind of high on the box so it gets cut off in the photo. I think that's right for a 2012 box but again no expert.

I took a quik look thru my Montis and see a number of bands with the printing not lining up with the die cut,

some maybe even a little worse than yours,

but none with the end of the band cut off. Wait, I take that back- after removing the band, all are cut off.

Other than that they look like legit #2's via SW.

Thanks all for the insights - very much appreciated. I guess the bands are what they are. In any case the cigars look and smell great so hopefully some time at lowered humidity will do the trick.

Also thanks Trevor for all the great info on cubancigarwebsite!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys! Sunday's Cigar Inspector has featured what's probably the lousiest fake Montekristo band AND fake habano EVER! They didn't even bother to line up the print inside the borders at ALL! And upon cutting it open there were: sticks, wood, string and bugs! Sorry I'm not up with the times enough to attach a picture. It's truly unbelievable surprised.gif

Hey, guys! Sunday's Cigar Inspector has featured what's probably the lousiest fake Montekristo band AND fake habano EVER! They didn't even bother to line up the print inside the borders at ALL! And upon cutting it open there were: sticks, wood, string and bugs! Sorry I'm not up with the times enough to attach a picture. It's truly unbelievable surprised.gif

Wow. That makes me feel good. Now I know all my fakes are very high quality!!!!

Here is that link, it is nice to know you don't want to smoke a fake!

*THANK YOU, Stargazer! clap.gif The enormity of this worse-than-fake just can't be appreciated without visual display!!!

post-15148-0-90382300-1366196310_thumb.j

FWIW I looked at 2 boxes of monte 5s 2011, a box of monte PE 2012 and petaca of monte 2 : all have codes that check out ok with HSA and all had the same type band as yours with the pattern and colour running to the edge. I snapped a photo of a monte 5 example (note the band looks too short and squat but that's due to is not lying flat on the table)

Oh in addition - I noticed that the monte 5 band was shortest on the left side which is the side that runs to the edge. While your monte 2 band is longest on the left side.

Im going to guess that by running the print to the edge they can use the same bands for most of their standard range just by cutting the left hand side to size, where more cut off = smaller ring gauge. Rather than having a band for under 40RG then 40-46RG and so on like on other brands' bands

• 2 weeks later...

Here is that link, it is nice to know you don't want to smoke a fake!

WOW.........Thanks for the info. Really great work...ok.gif