New to CC...Opinions Please

First I would like to say thank-you to all the members here and the great information. What a wealth of information this site is. Rob and his team have been nothing but awesome.

I have purchased a few boxes (Trini RT, 2 boxes 520's, RyJ SC, Montecristo #2, Vegas Robaina Famosos) of potentially great smokes but really want to keep my hands off of them for at least a year or two. This is the start of my journey into CC.

My dilemma is this...I would like to get something that will smoke well young and keep my hands off the others I have purchaced. I am thinking of HDM 1 or 2 or RASS. I am open to any opinons or advice.

Thanks again!

There are often aged cigars up for grabs, and the LE's usually smoke pretty good ROTT. I've already killed a box of PSC3. SLR Regios are a great smoke fresh and are decent price range.

Don't fall into the trap that an aged cigar is a better cigar......it's just older.

Try your cigars, if you like them, save some to see how they age. If your not happy with them, age them and pray they come around.

Lots of cigars smoke better young than old.

Try something with a "normal" ring gauge.....like Monte #1.

It's not the cigar......it's the box you get that makes all the difference.

SLR Regios is a great choice for a young flavor bomb.

Welcome to this fantastic hobby bro.

You might want to try some samplers first to get a sense of what you like, seeing you are on the start of your journey.

You can always buy boxes later once you have that foundation built under you. This is a great time for you, the discovery stage.

Good luck and have fun!

There are definitely cigars that smoke well young and those that don't. I usually wait 2-3 years before I crack into most of my boxes, but I do sample occasionally along the way. I find young cigars are often good for the first two thirds, but after two or three years they're good all the way through.

I like your first suggestion, the HdM Epi 1. Had a young one recently and it was superb! But going with a sample of different marcas and vitolas is a good way to start.

Hello. Listen to what Wil just said. There are cigars that are very approachable young. I would highly, highly recommend:

JL #2, Upmann Connie #1, Partagas D4, Siglo I, and QdO Corona.

I would highlight Connie #1 as the must buy of that list. The recent Mag 46 is a long-term aging candidate. You can't even smoke them right now.

Have fun

RASS/RASCC, Por Larranaga PC and SCdlH El Principe, Siglo I/II and Bolivar PC are all good young in my opinion. Many will also tell you that Partagas Serie D 4 is one of the best young cigars, I personally think it's overrated but it's very popular.

I agree with what has been said. Don't assume you have to have all aged smokes. Aged smokes come with time. Buy what you can, smoke what you can, and the ones that you don't have time to smoke now will have age on them when you do. I hate thinking that I would be waiting for that day to say these have aged enough to die before making it to that day just for someone else to enjoy what I had the chance to.

Life is to short not to smoke whatever strikes you at that moment.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on aging and suggestions.

I think my plan will be to start sampling the boxes I have to see how they are smoking.

I will also pick up something that was suggested as smoking well now.

I do have about 10 years of NC experience. I am just trying learn as much about CC as I can and I think I am in the right place with FOH. It seems to me that a good quality box is one of if not the most important things to look for. I can honestly say I have never purchased a box of NC that the quality was a problem...that said it seems the consensus is CC use better tobacco but overall quality is more of an issue?

"Life is too short not to smoke whatever strikes you at that moment." - JackTArnold

"You can't take 'em with you when you go." - Stogieluver

^^^^^^^^^^^^true this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Life is too short not to smoke whatever strikes you at that moment." - JackTArnold

"You can't take 'em with you when you go." - Stogieluver

^^^^^^^^^^^^true this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very true words!

I think my plan will be to start sampling the boxes I have to see how they are smoking.

This is always my approach to boxes I buy - as you will notice there are as many opinions on what to smoke when as there are BOTL - the only way to properly know is sample the box you end up with in your hands. As has already been said - some boxes just seem to smoke great ROTT.

Also it is worth considering that of those boxes youve ordered you might find that particularly the Trinis and the VRs may already have 1 to 2 years on them. and that's not even mentioning the recent discussions about the potential for a lot of new cigars being made of aged tobacco