Trinidad Coloniales (OUS MAR 10)

ayedfy

Trinidad Coloniales. Box code: OUS MAR 10. Vitola size: 5.1x44.

sqARksi.jpg

Cold observations: Neat construction, uniform wrapper. Cold aroma is incredibly peppery. Draw is a little on the tight side, again with more spicy peppery flavours.

Opening third: Full-bodied and tarty. Fresh lemon, chai tea, white pepper and olives. The intense sour notes are very unique, but a little off-putting. It's scrunch-your-face-up sour.

Middle third: A dominating herbal note breaking through. Basil and chives masking some of the powerful citrus. Rubbery, and an upleasant metallic note slithering around.

Final third: A strong coffee bean flavour now. Slight drop in body, a little leathery, and still quite metallic.

I'll give it marks for creativity and evolution, but unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy what this cigar had to offer.

61/100

Thanks for the review, shame you didn't like it. I've never smoked a Trinidad myself but this sounds to me like it needs more rest...which sucks because it's three years old and at that pricepoint I would hope for better.

Thanks, I appreciate your honest scoring as there are some who would never score a CC under 80 unless a monte open.

Maybe I'm just too harsh. For what it's worth, my scale is:

below 50: a waste of carcinogenic exposure.

50-60: maybe if there's nothing else on offer and you're really hankering for a smoke.

60-70: never turn down a freebie.

70-80: worth buying if there's a particularly good sale on them.

80-90: worth buying.

90-100: worth actively searching the ends of the earth for.

Agree with OP. I rate good cigars a C. Great cigars a B. amazing cigars an A. Not everything should be 85-100. Hell, I posted the '12 D4 and Connie 1 as must buys and gave them 70-75. How can you give a young "great" cigar a 90? Almost like saying there's no room for improvement, or that your scale from 90-100 is an exponential curve.

As for these, that's a good box code. I remember how good they were fresh. You might be catching them during the transformation/maturation period. Give it a 6mo rest and revisit. Coloniales are outstanding.

That's one of the reasons I rarely look at rating numbers...it seems like the rating scale for mose are 80-100 and THAT IS IT.

Kinda like how you rate a woman...I mean no one is heartless to give a girl a 1 or 2...so everyone starts at 5. innocent.gif

That's one of the reasons I rarely look at rating numbers...it seems like the rating scale for mose are 80-100 and THAT IS IT.

Kinda like how you rate a woman...I mean no one is heartless to give a girl a 1 or 2...so everyone starts at 5. innocent.gif

I've dated a few 3-1/4's over the years..... lookaround.gifhole.gifwhistle.gif

• 3 months later...

Wow, great review, but a little interesting. This just happens to be my favorite CC. I agree, it's not something's that blows you away but, for me, it was always multidimensional. Something that I could appreciate on a daily basis. That being said, I just commented on another topic that I had bad luck with a 10 of Mag 50s. I'm hoping, for both you and I, we were just unlucky. I do really enjoy your reviews. Keep it up brother

my anecdotal experience with these suggests that some batches can have a lot of tannins, sometimes even more than the reyes... can start out creamy when young but close off for a year or 3 before becoming enjoyable again.

Agree with OP. I rate good cigars a C. Great cigars a B. amazing cigars an A. Not everything should be 85-100. Hell, I posted the '12 D4 and Connie 1 as must buys and gave them 70-75. How can you give a young "great" cigar a 90? Almost like saying there's no room for improvement, or that your scale from 90-100 is an exponential curve.

I don't see why a young cigar could not get a 95+. If it is perfect construction, burns great, tastes great and smokes fantastically there is no reason why it does not deserve top marks.

In some peoples eyes, a cigar may actually deteriorate with age in a similar manner that some wines do.

Bought a box of these the other day. Awesome Smoke ! Looking at the reyes next.

And as far as rating..... I could careless how they look or feel in my hand. Taste is everything ! Hell you can even make a cow patty look good.

• 5 months later...

Lately this has been my favourite cuban. Never lets me down and tastes great fresh. I agree it's probably not for everyone but I love that creamy sour lemon flavour. Add that to the spicy kick and it's something I don't find in other cubans.