Two New Montecristo Cigars Coming Soon . . .

26/02/2013

montecristo.jpg

Heard of a brand with a name of its own? That’s Montecristo. The Montecristo legend was born from the reading of Alejandro Dumas’ famous novel The Count of Montecristo to cigar rollers at the H. Upmann factory in Havana. Since then, the legend has grown larger-than-life, as the famous character.

Penciled in as a tasting benchmark to size up the other Habanos, Montecristo will step on the limelight during this Festival with the launch of two new vitolas and the presentation, with absolute respect for its history, of a new band in an effort to boost its value and image. Now a new proposal, aimed at reveling all that taste in a shorter span of time, has popped up.

Yet it had been a long time since the Classic Line didn’t have a range launch, a move that give twice as much significance to the unveiling of Petit No. 2 because it clings to the brand’s tradition by now adding a figurado, a niche in which the Montecristo No. 2 is quite a benchmark.

Completely rolled by hand with long filler, the ring gauge will catch on among smokers because of the easy grip and good burning that makes each puff a thrilling moment. For its part, the midsize length makes customers love every minute of it, despite a tough working day.

The exquisite blend of tobacco, exclusively rolled with filler and binder leaves hailing from Vuelta Abajo, guarantees faithfulness to the original Linea Clasica’s mild-to-strong taste and captivating scent that enthrall both seasoned smokers and those who are now cutting their teeth in the realm of Habanos.

The Edmundo line grows on with the coming of Double Edmundo, also featuring the new Montecristo band and bigger size. This Habano of Dobles factory vitola delivers this blend’s classic scent and taste for approximately a one-hour-long smoke.

Though featuring thinner ring gauge –large enough the delight passionate smokers- its length guarantees slow pleasure and intimate contact between smoke and spirit. In a word, this is a great opportunity to grab all the taste Montecristo has to offer… unhurriedly.

That is a shocker of a band! Looks like the NC version!

I have a feeling these will be the monte version of the D5 and E2. Why take the double edmundo when you can pick from the Monte 2 or Edmundo or Open Master/Eagle? Why take the Petit #2 when you can have the petit edmundo/monte 1/3/4 or Open Regatta?

*mentioned the Opens to consider HSA's point of view.

I don't give a hoot about the band... As long as the cigar is good, it's good. Plus the petit No2 is good news, with the recent increase of the regular no 2, this cigar will certainly find fans rapidly.

Is the double Edmundo just going to be a Grand Edmundo without the EL band on it?

I enjoy Belicosos, so the Petit no 2 sounds good to me as long as Habanos do a better job of it than they did the RyJ Petit Churchill.

With Habanos releasing smaller versions of their most famous cigars I wonder how long it will be until we see a Cohiba Petit Robusto hit the market

I've not been a fan of any of the new bands really, gloss should be nowhere near IMO, satin at most. The matt finish on the old monte, Upmann and QDO etc looked so understated and fancy, and the colours use hinted at the flavour profile of the cigar to me.

I think your right about the gloss bands, to me they scream cheapness. Whereas matt bands say class.

Man it's a disappointment where cigars are headed to nowadays...

Only cigars? I believe quality of all products have been compromised substantially in recent years. Like an epidemic of sorts.

I simply can't see today's automobiles surviving 30-40 years like the old classics of the 1960's-1970's did. And if you think these new cuban bands are horrible, in the year 2050 they will likely showcase big red text like the cover of a Steve Martin film.

Only cigars? I believe quality of all products have been compromised substantially in recent years. Like an epidemic of sorts.

I simply can't see today's automobiles surviving 30-40 years like the old classics of the 1960's-1970's did. And if you think these new cuban bands are horrible, in the year 2050 they will likely showcase big red text like the cover of a Steve Martin film.

Ya no kidding.

For example, I am an oil painter and I actually prefer to paint with oil paints produced back in the early 1900s because the quality was in its purest form then where they just used naturally grounded pigment mixed into linseed oil and that was it, but nowadays all companies put in these cheap fillers and extenders that cut their costs, maximize their profits, and end up with paint that won't be able to stay preserved on a canvas as long as it could from older paint because of foreign substance in it.

Kind of random, but it applies to the cigars to, and everything else, it's a bummer honestly. It all seems to come down to quality vs quantity and quality with many products is long gone. I mean I've enjoyed a few recent releases but it seems each year I am less interested in these limited edition cigars or new release regular production with glamor looking labels. I am more into the classics.. With everything

Agreed Shlomo. I, too, am disappointed with recent and not so recent deletions however, I understand it from a business perspective. Seeing that Habanos SA is up 8% (I think) in sales, optically, it looks like they are focusing on the right overall market. Higher margins, higher volume etc.

The thing I have faith in is that this trend of large ring gauge cigars, like everything, should come to pass and return full circle. Eventually, people will get tired of the larger ring gauge cigars and a return of the long and skinnies will occur. Having said that, as long as the overall cigar community continues to pay the prices and the demand is there, this trend will continue for awhile, as we see from the sale figures.

I am sure that the Partagas GR will sell out quickly as well some of the ELs. Rob posted earlier that the 520s are all sold out. Monte Sublimes continue to increase in value due to low supply. From a business perspective, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every business wants to have as large a margin as they can to maintain and/or increase profitability.

I do think that the quality, in terms of tobacco and construction is there. Habanos has done a good job of this by reducing the overall number of cigars produced and allowing tobacco to age.

The romantic in me would love to see a return of the classics. The business side of me says good for Habanos for focusing on the areas that are driving profitability and there is demand for.

Yes, I am conflicted....:)