iPhone 5

iPhone 5 - Will you be getting one?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find the best responses to a phone debate are always the ones in which someone expects completely unreasonable performance from a phone.

Examples:

Battery life - if you use the phone a lot and have every battery draining feature enabled, your battery will drain faster. This isn't 1998 and you aren't using a Nokia brick that has five pounds of battery hanging off its ass. Phones have a lot of features and a display that requires lots of power. Biggest complainers: older people.

Durability - your phone isn't made of titanium and diamond glass. It can be scratched and glass cracks when stuff falls on it or there is a significant drop involved. Biggest complainers: people buying their phones with an Amex black card who give the phone to their twelve year old who just got a pony for her birthday and doesn't know what any bill under a 20 looks like.

Speed (Internet) - your phone can help you pay bills, watch movies, get turn by turn directions and take pictures better than most point and shoots all the while sharing with your Internet buddies how awesome the steak you are eating is on Instagram. I'm sorry that you had to wait an extra 5 seconds for your cat video to load on YouTube while you we're driving. Biggest complainers: every ******* ever.

Maps application - ..yeah it's pretty crappy. Biggest complainer: anyone who used an iPhone before ios6.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather use a tin can and a string to talk than to give apple on cent of my hard earned money. Apple symbolizes greed and corporate monopolization with one hand while they rape that pockets of hard working people with their other. Their computers are more like appliances than real computers, sort of comparable to a refrigerator. Have you ever thought about upgrading or customizing your refrigerator? When your refrigerator breaks down do you take it apart and fix it or do you call a repair man? This is what Apple attempts with their devices, they want EVERYTHING to go through them. Android is an open source unix based OS that allows phone manufactures do put whatever hardware they want into their phones, and give the consumers CHOICES. Same goes for apps, I could release an android app tomorrow if I wanted to, but to release an app in IOS I would have to send it through Apple.

iPhones are marketed to people who are not particularly tech savvy, and do not understand the specs on an android phone, or how to use it. These are the same people that ran their windows machine online for 10 years with no antivirus, got infected, and converted to a Mac because "they have no viruses, windows suck." The people who are remotely tech savvy and still choose Apple (there aren't very many) do so because it is hip and trendy, and they want to blend it with the flocks of sheep.

This is only my second post here, and I've probably left the impression of a ranting and raving fanatic, this is not the case. I work as a computer technician and have been in love with computers my whole life, I love Steve Jobs the man, but HATE Apple the company. They just raped Samsung for hundreds of millions of dollars on such blatantly bogus patent infringements as "comparable rounded edges" on their devices. Apple wants to be the only cell phone manufacturers in the world by bullying everyone else out. It turns my stomach, and I see it as a general threat to technological innovation.

Their are FAR better Android based phones on the market than the iPhone 5, like the Samsung Galaxy S III.

I find the best responses to a phone debate are always the ones in which someone expects completely unreasonable performance from a phone.

Examples:

... who give the phone to their twelve year old who just got a PONY for her birthday and doesn't know what any bill under a 20 looks like.

CAREFUL... you are talkin' ponies now!!! -LOL :smartass:

I love how samsung is payout out their behind to apple, wasn't there some kind of technology or patent infringement?

I know many IT guys who prefer apple products who will never buy pcs again nor use "garbage android devices" according to them so ya it all depends on who you ask.

Haha, what can I say, Samsung took a good idea and made it infinitely better. That's why Apple got so butthurt, they knew that they had an inferior product to Samsung. Samsung made their phone as similar as it was with no fear of prosecution because tech companies have been hording piles of patents since the early 90s, they were just never used. They were obtained for defensive purposes. Yahoo still has a patent on the basic algorithms they used to develop their search functionality that countless other search engines have used since. Apple v. Samsung has been the first real case of a company using their hordes of patents to openly attack and try to cripple one of the competitors. One of the authors of many of the patents referenced in the suit came out publicly against the whole case. Tech innovation is inherently different from other inventions, and the courts need to learn to treat it as so. If I posted a picture of a Sony 32 inch HDTV and an LG 32 inch HDTV side by side would you draw the assumption that one of them copied or ripped off the other person? Of course not. Also, as far as the icons, font size, color, and icon placement that you showed in the photo, all of those are customizable and movable on an Android phone and that phone has been deliberately laid out and formatted to like an iPhone...

In regards to the thread though it is all irrelevant. Even assuming that the Samsung Galaxies did rip off the iPhone, it would be a case of The Godfather, being that the second one was better than the original. You would be hard pressed to try to argue that there aren't better Android based phones out there than even the newest iPhone.

it-doesnt-take-a-genius.jpeg

being an amateur film maker, yes I'd get the new Iphone 5 ONLY after they catch up with backorders, into the million or two right now I'd guess, and ONLY from the apple store, in it's factory unlocked - no commitment state so I can pop sims in and out during international travel.

Why iphone 5 for amateur filmmakers?

Look what is possible - this video here following video was made AND edited entirely on an iphone 5.

I would rather use a tin can and a string to talk than to give apple on cent of my hard earned money. Apple symbolizes greed and corporate monopolization with one hand while they rape that pockets of hard working people with their other. Their computers are more like appliances than real computers, sort of comparable to a refrigerator. Have you ever thought about upgrading or customizing your refrigerator? When your refrigerator breaks down do you take it apart and fix it or do you call a repair man? This is what Apple attempts with their devices, they want EVERYTHING to go through them. Android is an open source unix based OS that allows phone manufactures do put whatever hardware they want into their phones, and give the consumers CHOICES. Same goes for apps, I could release an android app tomorrow if I wanted to, but to release an app in IOS I would have to send it through Apple.

iPhones are marketed to people who are not particularly tech savvy, and do not understand the specs on an android phone, or how to use it. These are the same people that ran their windows machine online for 10 years with no antivirus, got infected, and converted to a Mac because "they have no viruses, windows suck." The people who are remotely tech savvy and still choose Apple (there aren't very many) do so because it is hip and trendy, and they want to blend it with the flocks of sheep.

This is only my second post here, and I've probably left the impression of a ranting and raving fanatic, this is not the case. I work as a computer technician and have been in love with computers my whole life, I love Steve Jobs the man, but HATE Apple the company. They just raped Samsung for hundreds of millions of dollars on such blatantly bogus patent infringements as "comparable rounded edges" on their devices. Apple wants to be the only cell phone manufacturers in the world by bullying everyone else out. It turns my stomach, and I see it as a general threat to technological innovation.

Their are FAR better Android based phones on the market than the iPhone 5, like the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Wow, way to insult a large part of the forum in one easy post. Nice way to generalise iPhone users. I guess I'm just one of the trendy hipster flock who can't make up my own mind or clearly someone who can't program my VCR.....then again with you working in IT I guess it would be safe to say you're probably a 35 yo virgin still living in your folks basement overclocking and playing WoW? No? Well maybe it's best you don't make judgements on everyone else just because they use one particular product type.

It's just a phone, it makes phone calls!

For what it's worth, I've been in Mexico for almost 1.5 years now. My (old I guess) iPhone 3 has been in the drawer and I've been using (AND LOVING) the dumbest phone still available. A little phone and text only LG.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.630102,-87.069919

ok , bit the bullet and pulled the trigger, $1000 later and 3 week wait later, we have a FULLY unlocked phone + amazing camera (great for our product shots) and awesome movie making capacity (see iphone5 movie link I posted earlier)

Combine this with Square Card readers which helps us accept payments for our products at various locations like farmer's markets etc, I think that was cash well spent.

PS - scanning the last few pages, I stil find it quite remarkable that people are so loyal to pieces of electronics and their makers.

Guess their highly engineered marketing system is working quite well.

Wow, way to insult a large part of the forum in one easy post. Nice way to generalise iPhone users.

Really. It's been quite a disappointment to see the kind of vitriol here that usually populates poorly moderated tech blogs.

Darkstarcrashes, your post is rife with value judgments that reveal what is important to you. And that's fine. Yet you hold these up as evidence of universal truth regarding what ought to be the case for the market in general. You're clearly biased. But that's not the problem. What is a problem is that you seem to be unaware of the nature and effect of your biases. Your viewpoint is so colored and so partisan it's troubling. This is why there can be no reasoned, productive discussion with you on this topic.

I really do hope you bring a different, better game to cigar discussions. Really, I do.

Wilkey

Wow, way to insult a large part of the forum in one easy post. Nice way to generalise iPhone users. I guess I'm just one of the trendy hipster flock who can't make up my own mind or clearly someone who can't program my VCR.....then again with you working in IT I guess it would be safe to say you're probably a 35 yo virgin still living in your folks basement overclocking and playing WoW? No? Well maybe it's best you don't make judgements on everyone else just because they use one particular product type.

It's just a phone, it makes phone calls!

I literally lol'd at the office @ tech nerd description.

Really. It's been quite a disappointment to see the kind of vitriol here that usually populates poorly moderated tech blogs.

Darkstarcrashes, your post is rife with value judgments that reveal what is important to you. And that's fine. Yet you hold these up as evidence of universal truth regarding what ought to be the case for the market in general. You're clearly biased. But that's not the problem. What is a problem is that you seem to be unaware of the nature and effect of your biases. Your viewpoint is so colored and so partisan it's troubling. This is why there can be no reasoned, productive discussion with you on this topic.

I really do hope you bring a different, better game to cigar discussions. Really, I do.

Wilkey

Well said, Wilkey.

Well said, Wilkey.

Agreed :clap:

Mobile Phones are longer lasting toilet paper. We use them. Celebrate the best of them.Ask for a better toilet paper....be it Android or Apple. have comfort in the best toilet paper you can buy....have comfort in the cheapest that you need. In the end they are toilet paper people!!!!!

If you want to be a badge carrier for TP then you have serous issues. :lol3:

Prez, my 5 has superb battery life fyi. I was worried because of your 4s fiasco and since I had a 4 I didn't know what to expect. First charge didn't last long but went through a couple full charge/discharge cycles and it's better than my old 4.

My upload speeds are blazing now, ran some tests at 11 mbps which clowns my cable connection at home. Really helps when sending attachments in mail.