Reverse Cigar Week .....Backward Puro madness

Take 2 Half Corona/Petit Corona or Robusto (anything actually). Must be the same cigar and must be from the same box.

* Smoke one normally . Take a few notes.

* Smoke the other one backwards (lighting the cut cap). Take a few notes. Preferably smoke within 24 hours of the first cigar.

Are you simply getting the reverse tasting of the first cigar or is ot more than that?

Any guesses of the outcome...and why ?

Pics welcome. Post on this thread. Post the results of both cigars in the same post so it will make sense :thumbsup:

Too many variables because even from the same box 2 cigars can taste completely different. Taste wise, I would guess it would be the same. Only difference is, smoking it backwards is like cutting off the entire cap so if you like to punch or cut off a tiny bit then it would just feel awkward.

Would like to see what others have found out, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Too many variables because even from the same box 2 cigars can taste completely different. Taste wise, I would guess it would be the same. Only difference is, smoking it backwards is like cutting off the entire cap so if you like to punch or cut off a tiny bit then it would just feel awkward.

Would like to see what others have found out, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Make it a cigar you are familiar with. Some boxes are far more consistant than others.

I think you may be surprised ;)

A cigar should get stronger and more flavourful as you smoke from the foot to the cap. Apparently, there are more of flavour compounds at the base of the leaf as opposed to the tip of the leaf. From what I understand, the cigar roller will roll the indiviual leafs so that the base of the leaves are at the cap of the cigar and the tips of the leaves are at the foot.

I would guess that smoking the cigar from cap to foot would start off strong and flavourful and then get progressively less so. The problem here is that, from the smokers perspective, you want the cigar to become more flavourful as you smoke it. This is because the foot of the cigar will taste bland once you're used to the more flavourful cap. As in all things in life, the journey should get progressively better or else one will get bored.

hmm i did this once with a double corona (punch) when the cap failed ... while out fishing ... never again - it had a draw like a wind tunnel and tasted like a dog rocket. The draw didn't seem that loose from the cap end... which is strange... but i was concentrating on the trout.

I wonder how many guys out there from Brisbane can remember one of our legendary cigar dinners, in the early days of Czars.

About 10 years ago when Rob brought along two cigars for the cigar night. The format generally was a cigar before a two course meal then the second cigar and getting drunk. Can't remember what the first cigar was but the second was a figorado of some brand, don't recall it having a band, I may be wrong on that? As most of the guys there were new to cigars several people clipped the cap and turned it around, lit the cap end and started smoking the foot. I was in fits of laughter and Rob had to jump up and show people what to do. There was all sorts of people trying to claim that's how they have always smoked them to save face in front of their friends, I think Dean Merlo was one smoking it back to front. Great memories. :rotfl:

I'm plowing through a box of HQ Mag 46, only have 3 left. I've been smoking these heavily over the last few weeks, so that's what I'll choose LOL I can taste them without even smoking. I'm on the road for work, but'll be home on Thursday and will do this, Pres.

You sir are Turing in to the Willy Wonka of cigars! Be careful and tread lightly.

"Rob Ayalya- A man in the process of building his own glass elevator!"

You can't very well be Willy Wonka & a Pirate, you have to choose one! I can only live vicariously through one persona at a time damnit!

Oh, wait, I just remembered...

The cigar wrapper and binder should unravel rendering the cigar practically unsmokable. But, after hearing that some people have tried it maybe that's just a myth?? :confused:

Explanation: The wrapper and binder is folded underneath the previous wrap at the foot of the cigar. At the cap the wrapper and binder is folder on top of the previous wrap. If you smoke a cigar from the cap to the foot there's nothing to stop the wrapper and binder from unraveling. Take out a cigar and inspect it to see what I mean.

Okay, here we go.

Cigars: 2 cigars from a box of Mag 46 SAG ABR 09

I've been traveling a lot recently and meant to get this done sooner but oh well. I'm sitting in a hotel in Novi, MI with a few minutes here so pound this out LOL The Mag 46 is one of my favorite cigars to smoke. The lush and pungent aroma from this HQ box (1 of 3 I have) get me excite before I even light up. I liken the flavor to that of a peppered, black and blue, ribeye steak. I connect the warm, chewy, and heavy / cooked sweetness, but the spice is less black pepper and more white pepper. Not much flavor change up throughout the cigar, but there is an evolution within the temperature of the smoke... of course... which moves the balances of flavors around. Theres a salt & pepper flavor left on the lips and a smooth, medium finish produces a tanned leather and pepper coating in my mouth. The FIRST of the two examples I smoked did not dissapoint.

post-6952-0-15004900-1345382457.jpg

Now for the change up, lets light this guy up and get this started.

post-6952-0-57570000-1345382710.jpg

After cutting off the cap end and firing her up the cigar didn't really taste or smoke much different than any other Mag 46. It sparked right up and the flavors were all there. Although after about 5 minutes or so I began to see some runs in the burn. Nothing that I wouldn't expect when lit from the correct end but nonetheless I made note.

post-6952-0-60719900-1345382878.jpg

I removed the band and let the good times rolled, sat down and read the morning paper. About 15 minutes in I noticed then wrapper leaf began to unroll itself as the cigar heated up. I'm sure heat = expansion, and proceeded to push the wrapper leaf off. At this point, the flavor is still pretty much in line with what I'd expect from any Mag 46.

post-6952-0-37774900-1345383199.jpg

Eventually, the wrapper was so loose it was hardly burning anymore and I just had to remove it. And that's where this experiment took a turn LOL

post-6952-0-82574700-1345383393.jpg

Exit Reverse Cigar Week Experiment, Enter Removing Wrapper Cigar Experiment LOL

I smoked the rest of the Mag 46 at this point without wrapper. Sorry I couldn't fill the assignment completely Pres. This was the second time I've smoked a cigar without a wrapper and the analogy I used then stands true with this example. That is, it's like eating a Snickers bar (or insert any candy bar) without the thin chocolate coating. Overall the chocolate make up a single digit precent of the total makeup, yet without the recipe is not the same. The lips touch the chocolate just like the wrapper of the cigar touch the lips... its the only part of the cigar which comes in direct contact with the mouth & lips and has the ability to impart a significant amount of flavor.

The salt & pepper flavor I usually get from the Mag 46 was completely taken away. And now the finish is very muted. The binder leaf was void of all flavor on the lips, if anything it had a slightly raw green pepper hint. What was left to smoke was... remember the peppered black & blue ribeye steak... well its like the outer seared ends of the steak removed and just the warmed meat left over. Not an unpleasant taste, speaking for myself, but the Sizzle of the Steak was gone.

post-6952-0-09445600-1345384718.jpg

The draw was not as solid either, there was a lot of extra outside air brought through the binder leaf and into the draw. The otherwise "solid" feel of the cigar and now taken on one of a spongy marshmallow. A few burn outs, no problem to relight.

From the little bit I was able to smoke with the cigar in reverse, about 20 minutes worth, there was no noticeable change Pres. However, remove the wrapper and the cigar becomes only a fraction of its former self. This was a exciting experiment and the fact it turned into something other than what I was set out to accomplish, made it just that much more fun.

Okay, here we go.

Cigars: 2 cigars from a box of Mag 46 SAG ABR 09

From the little bit I was able to smoke with the cigar in reverse, about 20 minutes worth, there was no noticeable change Pres. However, remove the wrapper and the cigar becomes only a fraction of its former self. This was a exciting experiment and the fact it turned into something other than what I was set out to accomplish, made it just that much more fun.

:covereyes:

This man is a martyr for ElPres's mad experiment. Thanks Dbone.

He ruined his fave cigar for you Rob, you owe him one ;-)

Well done Dbone :perfect10:

You wrapper analogy is spot on. It may represent ony say 5% of the cigar volume but afffects 100% of the end flavour profile.

Shoot me an e-mail mate and I will send you something special for your trouble :D

Cool idea!

I'd expect a good complex cigar to be VERY different when smoked backwards. Cheap sticks, possibly not.

Not all leaves are the same size. A well-blended cigar might have more ligero, say, at the very beginning and then the final third. You don't have to use short-filler to accomplish this. Just cut the leaf to be wedge-shaped, etc. I know this happens all the time in the NC world, so I assume it does in Cuba as well.

Shoot me an e-mail mate and I will send you something special for your trouble :D

Don't I get something for guessing the right outcome?? :innocent: