The Dark Knight Rises

iGrizz

Went to the midnight release and I was left speechless. I left the theater wanting to watch it again even though it was nearly 3am. I was nearly in tears at the end because I am such a fan of Nolan's work.

Also the Man of Steel teaser before the movie was absolutely beautiful.

Went to the midnight release and I was totally blown away. I left the theater wanting to watch it again even though it was nearly 3am. I was nearly in tears at the end because I am such a fan of Nolan's work.

Also the Man of Steel teaser before the movie was absolutely beautiful.

'totally blown away' may be an unfortunate choice of words.

'totally blown away' may be an unfortunate choice of words.

Oh wow I am currently on vacation and didn't hear about that till yesterday. That was definitely a poor choice of words.

Loved it! People in the theater clapped at the end of it, haven't seen that kind of audience reaction since Sin CIty!

Beautiful ending to a great trilogy.

Excellent capper to the trilogy. Once again Nolan serves up an engaging story. These three Batman films could have been made sans Batman as thrillers with completely original characters and they would still be fantastic films. The Bane character is great to watch though a bit awkward since the mask only leaves him with his eyes to "act". Nonetheless, Tom Hardy puts in a great performance. Christian Bale has been a fine Batman, this series will be difficult to top. I'd say this movie is nearly as great as it's predecessor. Nolan is leading the way in Hollywood by proving that a well written story can lead to a successful movie. Too bad not many are following his example as the % of crap movies that are out there is increasing. This movie is in contrast to the Avengers which was a bright, bombastic visual feast. The Dark Knight rises seems "quiet" in comparison, certainly dark, or monochrome in it's color palate and yet, gives rise to plenty of thrills on its own.

Let me just say that I am a very big Nolan/Batman fan. Both of the comics and movies. However, I felt DKR was plagued with cliche, plotholes and several eye-rolling moments for me. Tom Hardy was absolutely captivating and was rewarded with a sloughed off, unceremonious and frankly, anti-climactic exit. Totally undeserved. The more I think about it, the more I am bugged by it.

However, round 1 of Batman v. Bane was worth the price of admission alone. Fantastic sequence. Possibly the best of the trilogy, for me. Took me back to issue 497. ;) If not for that, this clearly would have been a TOTAL let down for me.

Final rating 7/10. Worst of the trilogy, IMO.

Guess I'm not alone in disliking this movie...although I think I disliked it more than you. The initial fight between Bane and Batman kinda sucked imho. I gave it a 6/10 and would have been a 5.5/10 had anybody else been Catwoman. Anne Hathaway is so damn hot though...

Yeah I think you did. I liked it overall, I guess I'm just nitpicking. I can see how people would think the first fight sucked, but for me it was a 13 yr old kid's favorite comic book scene come to life on the big screen. It may be the quintessential moment in the history of the Batman storyline, fully realized on film. I don't know, perspective is all relative. The experience will be different for everyone.

I just think the final act could have been so much more.

Loved it. Saw it with my 9yo son last night who thoroughly enjoyed it also. I'd have to say it was my favorite of the trilogy. Fantastic IMHO.

Hated it

Murky story, stupid "twists" if you can even call them that, woeful acting (apart from Joseph Gordon-Levitt), pitifully cliché ending, boring one dimensional villain, annoying attempt at witty one-liners, unnecessarily long

I'll punch that vertebrae back in... wow. That made ma almost want to leave.

After how good The Dark Knight was, I expected more, Nolan.

"Doesn't rise as much as it flounders and frustrates, in what would appear to be a case of a filmmaker prioritizing ego over efficiency, and engaging in generally muddled storytelling." - Mike Scott, New Orleans Times

+100000000000 on that one Ken..... I hope he hadnt heard of the tragedy before posting this...

I am sure iGrizz did not mean to offend anyone here on the forum with his choice of words as is demonstrated by having edited his original post.

It is an absolute tragedy hearing about the shooting, it's in the news, TV, News papers, social media...

Lets just leave it off the forum when it comes to the movie TDKR. It could have happened in any movie theater for any movie and was an excuse by an absolute evil sick person to cause such a tragedy. Perhaps gun control is LONG over due in the States as whilst I am sure there are a great number of people who respect fire arms, there are also those who clearly wish to access such weapons for mass murder.

God bless those who lost their lives and their families who now have to live without their loved ones.

Thanks IGrizz for posting about the movie, I am one of the biggest Batman fans around, still have a large collection of comics and watch everything that has ever been about the Batman legacy. As much as I am a fan, I haven't had time to watch it and I am very much looking forward to it with my son.

Saw it last night.

About an hour too long and one of those films where there was a lot going on that was hard to care about.

I'd forgotten how much I hate Christian Bale's "Batman voice".

I watched "Bad Day at Black Rock" with Spencer Tracy on TV just before going out. Much better vigilante movie, great stuff.

Saw it last night.

About an hour too long and one of those films where there was a lot going on that was hard to care about.

I'd forgotten how much I hate Christian Bale's "Batman voice".

I watched "Bad Day at Black Rock" with Spencer Tracy on TV just before going out. Much better vigilante movie, great stuff.

tumblr_lr0comEPzJ1qfosvh.gif

About the last sentence

It is an absolute tragedy hearing about the shooting, it's in the news, TV, News papers, social media...

Lets just leave it off the forum when it comes to the movie TDKR. It could have happened in any movie theater for any movie and was an excuse by an absolute evil sick person to cause such a tragedy. Perhaps gun control is LONG over due in the States as whilst I am sure there are a great number of people who respect fire arms, there are also those who clearly wish to access such weapons for mass murder.

God bless those who lost their lives and their families who now have to live without their loved ones...

Here here. While I don't agree with the call for further gun control, I really like what Mika said here.

I always dislike when some tragedy like this happens. There's always a stampede of people rushing to get their agendas put out there, calling for (further) gun control, more laws, etc., etc. ESPECIALLY, that it's always violence in the movies, graphic video games, etc., etc., and this and only this that causes violent people and these types of incidents.

Utter hogwash.

And usually, once all the facts are out there, these agenda driven types seem to quiet right down, as they end up losing some of their presumed points for debate.

Heavy gun control just doesn't work 100% unfortunately. Look at some of the brazen shootouts that have happened in Toronto lately, and Canada as a whole over the past few years. Some drastic and sad events, and we have crazy measures of gun control here for anything aside from hunting long-guns. As much as the gun-control advocates don't want people to know it, the plain fact is that criminals and thugs just don't follow the laws, no matter how many or how little there are. If they want to get/possess/use a gun/weapon/etc., they will, and no piece of paper that restricts all citizens will stop them.

Using this incident as an extreme example, for all we know, this gunman could have been trying to commit this heinous act in the Katy Perry movie. I mean, his hair was dyed a funky colour, as is Katy Perry's usually, and many of her fans. He could've been trying to do this in that movie, and not the Batman one.

See how ridiculous this all sounds? Until he's interviewed, all the facts are out there, etc., there's too many what ifs.

People commit horrible crimes sometimes. Unfortunate, but true. Some watch GI Joe, and The Matrix, and bloody horror movies, etc. And also, some watch Carebears, and listen to Spice Girls, and have pen pals. The pattern is that there isn't a sure fire pattern. If there was, I wouldn't have a job.

Sorry for the detraction maybe. Didn't mean to turn this into a violence in movies, gun control debate.

• 1 month later...