Dumb people should be fired!

I need to rant a little. Rob's post about being surrounded by dumb made me think about my coworker. What has it come to if you can't get fired for not doing your job. I'm pretty furious. We hired my coworker 10 months ago. I work application support for a laboratory at a hospital. After 10 fricken months she still can't install our application on a computer. It's a simple 5 minute process. I'm pretty sure I could teach a monkey to install the application in 10 months. Has she been spoken too or told she needs to improve? NO! Our boss is a nice guy but needs a backbone and a clue of what goes on in our department. He asked her how it was going and she said fine she was picking everything up. I call BS! I have to hold her hand or do it myself. It seems like it should be simple. If after a reasonable amount of time you couldn't do the most basic of tasks relates to your job you should be let go. If you are a mechanic and can't fix a car you shouldn't be a mechanic. If you are a cashier at a bank and can't count money you should be a cashier at a bank. If you can't install a computer program you probably should be trying to tell people how to use it.

That's my two cents. Now off to bed.

I work for an incredibly liberal company (that treats me well and gives lots of incentive to work there) and we have the same problem. As long as you show up to work, you will not get fired. If you suck, everyone else picks up your slack. It's frustrating to say the least.

The same thing is happening at my wife's job. Her co worker is totally useless and has multiple complaints against him from other employeess. Yet he his still there, everyone else picks up the slack. My wife is responsible for over 150 organizations while this guy is responsible for less than 25.

My own job is a little different so I can't really speak to that

Lighten up francis :P ... If I kicked you in the 'Jimmy' of your own personal misfortune or ideological empathy, I assure you it wasn't personal.

We only fire people who are grossly negligent, inept, or a danger to the patients for which we care. We have a "3 strike rule" and don't fire or lay people off just to lighten the payroll. We strive to treat our employees like family, but business is business.

Now... are you OK with that? or do I still need to call you a 'Wahmbulance'?

Don't say you apologize if you don't mean it. I can understand firing someone up but I don't laugh about it; like you do. You're the one who needs to lighten up.

I never worked for anyone other than my father. Taking over the family business.

You're right. I'm not sorry. Comment edited.

Hey, JackT. What I haven't read is your attempt to at least report or complain to your nice boss about her ineptness...not that it would do any good! I'm seeing on this thread the very same refrain on almost all good jobs; the people who do their job and do it excellently; never complain & are always agreeable. Never call in sick unless they're really sick...the FIRST small or minor mistake they make upper management works feverishly to FIRE them - not warn, not just give a write-up - jump the gun and FIRE that good employee. And then that employee who won't do their job, won't cooperate with their fellow employees so they can't stand to work with him/her, screw up everything they touch, out sick every other week...company just loves them to death! What the case was on my job; there'd be those above described employees who the company actually did have justification and the will to terminate, but that employee would have some personal dirt on the upper management and threatened to snitch. Thus, they retained their job. This is quite a LONG response I know. So I'll stop here and not go into cowardly supervisors unable to fairly give assignments; so they dump EVERYTHING on one or two easy-to-control employees & if they complain...ah skip it! You get my drift. As my mom once told me when I complained to her about such, "Girl, that kind of thing has been going on way before you got here; and it'll BE going on when you're an old lady!"

Hey, JackT. What I haven't read is your attempt to at least report or complain to your nice boss about her ineptness...not that it would do any good! I'm seeing on this thread the very same refrain on almost all good jobs; the people who do their job and do it excellently; never complain & are always agreeable. Never call in sick unless they're really sick...the FIRST small or minor mistake they make upper management works feverishly to FIRE them - not warn, not just give a write-up - jump the gun and FIRE that good employee. And then that employee who won't do their job, won't cooperate with their fellow employees so they can't stand to work with him/her, screw up everything they touch, out sick every other week...company just loves them to death! What the case was on my job; there'd be those above described employees who the company actually did have justification and the will to terminate, but that employee would have some personal dirt on the upper management and threatened to snitch. Thus, they retained their job. This is quite a LONG response I know. So I'll stop here and not go into cowardly supervisors unable to fairly give assignments; so they dump EVERYTHING on one or two easy-to-control employees & if they complain...ah skip it! You get my drift. As my mom once told me when I complained to her about such, "Girl, that kind of thing has been going on way before you got here; and it'll BE going on when you're an old lady!"

What a damn shame. But that's kinda what's wrong with where this country is headed in that there is a distinctive ideological movement to punish excellence and reward mediocrity-- with the ultimate goal being that everyone should be the same. Our founding fathers must surely be rolling over in their graves.

What a damn shame. But that's kinda what's wrong with where this country is headed in that there is a distinctive ideological movement to punish excellence and reward mediocrity-- with the ultimate goal being that everyone should be the same. Our founding fathers must surely be rolling over in their graves.

Well, as pointed out earlier, I think it is more a case of "politics" that rewards as described; "I'll wash your back, you wash mine"; "I'll tell on you if you...", etc., etc. And yours truly has also experienced being unexpectedly "let go" despite all the compliments of management for some bogus reason. And it was just a case of they wanted a prettier, sexier dish in there! There are those who've "favored" their way into positions...wait, WAIT!!! I'm getting started again! Never mind! :innocent:

In my business, we have "at will" contracts, meaning we don't have to give you a reason we can just fire you. They sign it and we enforce it.

Phoenix, I completely agree. I think everyone should have at will employment. It forces the employee to work to their potential instead of being able to skate by with the bare minimum. I'm all for the respect and treating everyone well and with kindness but if the person is not able to do the job it does an injustice to the employer and employee.

Anyone that sues a company because they were fired for not doing their job should be taken out back and beat with a bamboo rod. The sue everyone for anything mentality makes me sick. It comes down to people needing to take responsibility, and acknowledging when they screwed up.

Unfortunately most corporations (large and small) are scared crazy of being sued by disgruntled employees for "wrongful termination" etc. Its as Liberal a philosophy as there is. The axe seldom falls unless there is corporate wide layoff or re-size, in which case "said" employee gets some sort of compensation and signs a release.

I feel your pain buddy, as hard as it can be, all you can do is focus on your work and performance. Worrying about her is out of your control, just know that sooner or later it will catch up with her.... :blonde:

Phoenix, I completely agree. I think everyone should have at will employment. It forces the employee to work to their potential instead of being able to skate by with the bare minimum. I'm all for the respect and treating everyone well and with kindness but if the person is not able to do the job it does an injustice to the employer and employee.

Anyone that sues a company because they were fired for not doing their job should be taken out back and beat with a bamboo rod. The sue everyone for anything mentality makes me sick. It comes down to people needing to take responsibility, and acknowledging when they screwed up.

"At will" is by no means a free pass to hire and fire... You wouldn't believe the crap I had to go through to let someone go for underperformance. :rolleyes:

if i am a lower level/junior supervisor . whom do i feel more threatened by (1)the barely competent (2)the person who excells at their job and is (perhaps) a possible replacement for me at my job???

just saying...

derrek