Just bought a Big Green Egg XL

Dsc05eec

Love BBQ, never had a smoker. Good cook from what friends proclaim. Decided to bite the bullet on a Big Green Egg (XL). Pick it up tomorrow. Have been scoping out some of the posts on this sub forum. good stuff. Hope to be able to post up some of my "experiments" here.

My logic, Summer coming, grilling/smoking takes a while, what to do while waiting/cooking?, smoke a nice CC while playing with the grill/smoker. It all makes sense right? While not in the same class as Brazoeagle (he is from Texas, will never be in his class) hope to share some good stuff here. Had dreams of Brisket and Monte #2's last night. May need professional help...

I look forward to your Meatscapes! It matters not where you are from, only the passion for the art. Do it to it!!

Pizza(s) last night to break her in (toasted the gasket already, nomex on the way)

tonight/tomorrow 7lbs of pork shoulder, low and slow, 195 degrees (F) for the next 10 hours. North Carolina style.

May not be able to sleep tonight!!

post-12525-0-00521500-1332552568.jpg

post-12525-0-04775500-1332552899.jpg

Hate to tell you, but 195 will not have them done in 10 hours....

I'm doing two 8lb butts tonight. 205 for 18ish hours.....

Which gasket did you get? I just got one from Hi-Que. Have not installed it yet though.

Damm, was hoping for some pulled pork for breakfast!! no worries, done when done I guess!

I ordered the Hi-Que gasket today, much easier install from what I have read. Man, I love this thing!

• 1 month later...

Nice.

These don't seem to be available here in Aus anymore. Have been on the lookout for a smoker - they're not common here...

BGE dropped out of the Aussie market a while ago (though you can get it shipped from NZ), but there's still plenty of other; Big Steel Keg, BeefEater The Rock, Grill Dome, Primo Kamado, Saffire...etc

For smokers, I know Aldi occasionally sells a rebadged Hark smoker and you can find Traegers in Oz.

BGE dropped out of the Aussie market a while ago (though you can get it shipped from NZ), but there's still plenty of other; Big Steel Keg, BeefEater The Rock, Grill Dome, Primo Kamado, Saffire...etc

For smokers, I know Aldi occasionally sells a rebadged Hark smoker and you can find Traegers in Oz.

Thanks for that - some great info! Had seen a few kamados available locally on the web but haven't gotten around to fully researching it. Will check out some of the ones you've listed :thumbsup:

Hi Will

Have a look at the market overview I did last November. It's still pretty up to date, except that the Royal Kamado seems discontinued. http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6723

Cheers

magste, thanks so much for that! I'm hoping to get something in the next month or so, so your overview will be a great resource. Looking forward to reading up on it tonight.

Thanks again,

Wil.

Fuzz, I meant to ask, do you have one in particular?

Nah, I got none of those fancy things. I've got a Weber!

Defnitely take a look at Magnus' post on aussie bbq, real good research on the kamado market.

Congrats on the egg! I've had one for a few years and just love it. Thing I do most often is the spatchcock chicken recipe off the Naked Whizz site. Simple, delicious and dependable. That site is worth a look.

Having said that, it's just awesome for smoking huge chunks of pork too. I managed to squeeze both of these guys onto my large egg. Ended up needing a charcoal refill which can get a bit fraught :) (Meat courtesy of the awesome Gary in Prahran Market)

IMG_0938.jpg