Partagas Panatela x Lavazza Oro

This is the pairing I did with the newest review I did for Cigar Inspector.

Let me add this before you read on:

The Partagas Panatela is a pre-1960 release and has been discontinued since 2002. Partagas is a brand I love. When I saw this, collecting dust at the B&M, I figured it was worth a mere 6$ for a 10+ years old machine-made cigar from this famous marca.

tumblr_lzq5su3Lhl1qcd1za.jpg

The pre-draw aroma is tobacco and light spices. It gives a little tingle on the tongue.

1st third:

Nice medium body, there is a good amount of smoke, spices, spicy cake, carrot cake through the nose. It leaves a long finish. There some recognizable Partagas spices in it but nothing amazing like a D4 or P2. The thick creamy smoke, coats the mouth. This is good smoke so far but lack depth in flavours. Hopefully this will develop a little more. The flavours are straight to the point.

The ash is dark gray, almost gun metal/ PVD gray. It is soft and it detaches with a little help. Definitely not a long ash contest winner but who would compete with a cigar like that anyways.

I am pairing this one with some Lavazza Oro from an Italian stove top espresso maker. The first cup is also really hot so I added milk. This really helps to bring out the cake taste I was getting from this cigar. It's a creamy smoke which offsets the coffee bitterness. This is nice, it is making this cigar a bit more enjoyable but the flavours are not really complimenting each other. It helps the texture of the smoke but that's about it. It as if they are staying parallel.

trans.gif

tumblr_lzq6v19u6T1qcd1za.jpg

2nd third:

This has stayed at medium body. The carrots turned into fruits, macerated dry fruits, very close to the prominent Ramon Allones flavour. This getting a little better. It is straight to the point, spices, toasted bread and dry fruit. As if Partagas and Ramon Allones made a cheap and cheerful cigar. It shows off some faint tanginess, just like blackberries that are not quite ready to be eaten. I think I want this cigar to produce more flavour than it currently is.

I have to say the cigar is really taming down the coffee bitterness. I have now ditched the milk and started with a fresh clean cup of black coffee. Toast with jam flavours are still there. It feels like I am having a whole breakfast. It is pretty amazing that there is no bitterness in the coffee or cigar whatsoever. Flavours are helping each other produce a tanginess that's quite different and pleasant.

tumblr_lzq762VuCL1qcd1za.jpg

3rd third:

This Panatela moved to light medium body. It is showing similar toasted spicy bread flavours with that faint dry fruit lingering. I would describe it as a toast with tangy jam if that made any sense. It sounds better than it actually tastes. The spices have gone down and body decreased to light now.

It leaves a short finish on the tongue, a much dryer smoke than before. I would say this is a good way to finish for this cigar. It is slowly dying, there is still an inch and a half to go but it is giving me taste signals to lay it to rest. Ten minutes after finishing this cigar, I still have a good Partagas taste that is reminding me of the cigar I just smoked and I like that

Coffee is now completely parallel to the cigar, like a functional couple sleeping in two double beds; they love each other but don't blend. The Lavaza Oro espresso was a good companion for the Partagas Panatela not out of this world but quite good for a pairing for a cigar I never smoked before. I would definitely try pairing a cigar with it again.

Cigar: 3/10

Pairing: 7.5/10

Edited by Strada

Partagas panatela :confused: :confused:

To my knowledge the Partagas Panatela was a small machine made cheap cigar, discontinued since long, probably more than 10 years ago…

Is that the cigar you've reviewed? Looking at your pictures I think it's an Aristocrat, or maybe a Habaneros (discontinued but still available)…

Partagas panatela :confused: :confused:

To my knowledge the Partagas Panatela was a small machine made cheap cigar, discontinued since long, probably more than 10 years ago…

Is that the cigar you've reviewed? Looking at your pictures I think it's an Aristocrat, or maybe a Habaneros (discontinued but still available)…

Looks like a simple petite corona / habanero to me?

Whatever... Great review and at 3/10 who cares.

From Trevor's great website:

A pre 1960 release and disc in 2002

Indeed a cheap machine made cigar, when I saw the box at the b&m, I bought a single from the very few left as I had not seen that vitola before.

Hey that is pretty special! It should be mentioned in the review??.... oh wait. IT IS!!!!!

Indeed a cheap machine made cigar, when I saw the box at the b&m, I bought a single from the very few left as I had not seen that vitola before.

OK, that makes your review even more interesting then!

(for the record, "cheap machine made" doesn't mean "poor" nor "bad" to me)

No problem. I didnt want to seem rude, just didn't understand why anybody would question the cigar?

Where did you hear the Habaneros was discontinued? I don't think I've ever had one and would be interested in getting a couple sticks to try before they are all gone if that would be the case.

DONT MESS WITH THE BIG SHLO!! :football:

Laficion.

It is a Vev Vigano Italian pot, I have the 6 cups model which is one of the bigger ones. I got mine at an Italian cooking store (which also sells guns...) Hands down, this is the best stovetop espresso maker I have ever used or owned. I had 3 prior to that one.

It retailed for about 120$ +tx if I remeber. You can probably find them online cheaper.

Solid, easy to clean, no rust or corrosion. And great coffee.

Cigar 3/10

Pairing 7/10

Coffee maker 9.5/10 lol