RASS ABR 2011 "My Eureka" Review 97/100! With Pics

This is my "Eureka Moment"

Well, I was out of town with my wife and son visiting the in-laws this weekend.

So on this weekend, I packed with me a Monte 5, a R&J Churchill, a Mag 50 and a RASS.

Unfortunately with the time and the weather, I was only able to smoke one. My wife was shopping, I was tired, there was a quick break in the storming weather.

I decided to leave and seek out a restaurant in the area that had a patio for me to enjoy a cigar and a cocktail. I found what I was looking for, nice patio, comfy chairs, cover from the rain, fire pit blazing, and I was all alone. Rain coming down, slight wind, 50F = nobody else was on the patio, I was in my own world.

So I open my travel humidor like the Arc of the Covenant, to pick out my Angel of Destiny. The RASS was just calling for me. Wrapper was great, smell was dried fruits, tobacco, earth, cedar, so I chose my weapon and wielded it like Arthur's Sword, for today was being seized, and I was King. (for at least the next hour and a half)

post-8544-0-15362800-1329718061.jpg

Pre-Light - Perfect draw, it tastes like cedar sawdust that has caramel sauce drizzled on it. Dried Fruit, apricot, raisins, figs, cherries. Basically a Cedar Sawdust Praline.

post-8544-0-66086200-1329718061.jpg

I had good expectations for this cigar, but nothing had prepared me for what was to come.

First 1/3rd - Immaculate, creamy smoke, viscous on the palate, A little cedar hints, sweet, milky, peanut brittle, can tell coffee flavors are coming up. Still hints of dried fruit. A Sweet Smooth Cedar/Dried Fruit Creme Brulee.

post-8544-0-10816800-1329718062.jpg

post-8544-0-49333200-1329718062.jpg

Second 1/3rd- This thing decided all of a sudden not to be shoved around and bullied by all the other cigars, and made its mind up to be the cigar that all the others in my humidor will be jealous of. I kid you not, my cigar just took initiative. "Somebody's been reading self help books while tucked away this past year!!!!

Coffee, Creamy, Smooth, still viscous smoke. Velvety Dulce De Leche!!!!!!!!! Great coffee and toffee notes. Serious Creamy Caramel Custard. Layers of sweetened milk. Cedar and any spice is gone at this point, it is nothing but sweet milky dessert! Progresses to butterscotch coffee.

I was inspired by the flavors in this fantastic cigar, I had the bartender make me a cocktail I created on the fly.

post-8544-0-89335100-1329718062.jpg

Coffee, Kahlua, Bailey's, Frangelica, Vanilla Vodka, Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and whipped cream. Paired with this cigar, it was PURE BLISS. In fact I named the cocktail, "The Rass". I had 4 of these!!!!!!

Final 1/3rd - It got even sweeter, more velvety, and more coffee and espresso flavors. It was at this point this cigar became my partner, my lover, my best friend, my mentor, my counselor, my boss, and my leader. Where it goes, I will follow. I usually start to to have quality flavor drop off soon after the final 1/3rd. Not with this evil temptress!!! This Scorpion woman of a cigar was familiar in the art of seduction.

post-8544-0-19164600-1329718063.jpg

It was here in the final 1/3rd I gave this a 97 rating and summed the entire cigar up thusly:

A Rass had sex with a Starbucks and gave birth to a Tres Leches Mexican Wedding Cake!!!!!! That's what I was smoking. That's as good as it gets, and I felt like a pervert, because cigars are not supposed to be this good.

It was a great break and a great smoke and one of my top 5 all time cigars I've had. 97/100, easy.

In honor of the upcoming Mardi Gras:

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Well sir. I smoked a RASS this evening. I didn't take notes as the shop was kinda busy, but to sum it up it was transcendent. Thanks for the review.

Moments like these do not come around often, guys.... but when they do - you best enjoy it every second you have it. It's a very special thing!

I smoked a HU Sir Winny that did the exact same thing to me about 3 years ago. I was left very dissapointed to discover that the not one of the remaining had the same nirvana.

Great review BE!

RASS is another one that has been added to my must get list this year which keeps on getting longer and longer....

This review has pushed the RASS to the top of the list. Obviously these are available in 25 but can Rob or Smithy

advise if they are availalbe in a 50 cab at Czars?

Sharks

Hi BrazosEagle,

Wow! What a fantastic review of a simply superlative cigar! I felt like I was on a mini-vacation right along with you. Fun story and fun pictures too. How many of us have been in that situation; out shopping with the family at the mall on a lousy day :blush: .....boy, did you turn that around! :party:

Thank you for sharing with all of us RASS lovers :love: ,

Curtiss

Awesome Review David. That review put a smile on my miserable face. I absolutly feel the same way about this cigar. the one I smoked a few weeks back was a 95 in my books. Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning. Cheers.

Awesome Review David. That review put a smile on my miserable face. I absolutly feel the same way about this cigar. the one I smoked a few weeks back was a 95 in my books. Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning. Cheers.

I'm glad I could provide a smile for you when you need it the most!

I could use a few of those RASS cocktails as well man...

It was a wonderful drink, it reminded me of something we have popular down here at many of the good Steakhouses, called "chophouse coffee" - one of my favorite after dinner drinks, this one was like that, but if you were eating at a Steakhouse owned by Willy Wonka.

Love your posts...reviews, meatscapes, etc. Haven't found euphoria with rass. But, I keep sampling. Hopefully something will change my view. Have learned not to pass complete judgement on a habano...

And only 7 drinks, how you tasted anything else or were able to sit upright is beyond me but glad you enjoyed the stick! :rolleyes:

7 drinks? I had yet begun to defile myself. This was at 2:00 pm and I had already had 4- 18oz. schooners of beer at lunch with my wife before this!!

We left here and went to a ale house called Crickets that has 180 different beers of draft, then went to dinner at our favorite Mexican place. By days end I was 30 drinks deep, beer, wine, cocktails, margaritas, ect., and we called it an early night at 10:00. That's how we roll when we actually have someone offering to keep our son so Mommy and Daddy can go out.

It's probably prudent to note, that my wife's in laws live in the same town that we both went to college in and where I met and courted my wife. We have some ties to this town that gives us super human powers once we cross into the city boundary that allows us to drink like we did back in college again.

It was in this town, circa 1999, during my college years, myself and a buddy took down a full box of cigars and 144 beers in 24 hours.After hunting and smoking ducks all day and night.

I give you exhibit A:

Behold the Great Beer-a-Mid of 1999

post-8544-0-56812100-1329759198.jpg

RASS is another one that has been added to my must get list this year which keeps on getting longer and longer....

This review has pushed the RASS to the top of the list. Obviously these are available in 25 but can Rob or Smithy

advise if they are availalbe in a 50 cab at Czars?

Sharks

Sharks, yes, these are available in 50-cabs, and most prefer them this way due to the non-box-pressed cigars when packed in a cab instead. Claus and I both had amazing RASS from a wonderful cab when at Montreal at the LCDH there - pure bliss.

But RASS cabs are hard to find, few and far between, especially for quality stock for Czar's picks. We're usually given a heads up when some are found, but best to send a PM to Diana or Smithy to ask for one.