FOH FAT BASTARD STARTING GRID

Cutting out sugars from my diet, going for natural sugars, eating more fruits.

Try eat less processed foods these are the killers with all the sugars and salts.

Walking the dog for longer and take up bike riding, just need a bike :(

Already cut out sugar in my tea and it tastes better ^_^

On my way now i have lost weight lets hope i dont loose motivation.

There's a lot of fancy diet advice being bandied around but I think I'll stick to the EL-EM method.

Eat Less - Exercise More.

Best way to lose weight is the "sleep away fat diet". Basically you put yourself into an induced coma and watch the fat melt away...

Of course this will leave you weaker than a kitten when/if you finally wake up.

Hey Rob, do you have the contestants' measurements which you are not showing? If so please disregard this post. Otherwise, I just have a thought:

Say someone is 5'5" and 250lbs (and not a musclehead), whereas another is 6'5" and 250lbs. I would have to assume it would be much easier for the former to shed the large fat deposits and bmi relatively to the latter.

http://www.scientifi...tness/diet.html

This would at least allow for standardization of the contestants based on weight, height, and other measurements. Also would help with tracking changes as people send you updated measurements. The calculation sets are (for xcel):

The formula for men is:

%Fat=495/(1.0324-0.19077(log(waist-neck))+0.15456(log(height)))-450

The formula for women is:

%Fat=495/(1.29579-0.35004(log(waist+hip-neck))+0.22100(log(height)))-450

There's a lot of fancy diet advice being bandied around but I think I'll stick to the EL-EM method.

Eat Less - Exercise More.

Controlling for a whole host of other factors such as sleep, stress levels, vitamin D exposure, and current inflammatory markers doing the above will yield results for a little while. Its however not realistic long-term. Eating too little food over periods of weeks/months results in a stress response, too much exercise results in a stress response. Too much of a stress response results in a drastic shift in hormones. Eat quality food and enough of it till your full, sleep, lift heavy weights a couple time a week, walk a lot, have a few laughs and enjoy life.

I plan to fight my two 'nemeseis' which are utter laziness and a tremendous sweet tooth. In practical terms: to go regularly to the gym and to cut drastically my intake of refined sugar. That should do the trick for me.

Best,

Michel

I've started doing the 6-7 smaller meals per day thing. I'm pissing a lot more and started losing some weight already. Also before bed i have a protein shake so that my metabolism doesn't come to a complete halt. Also the big change i've made is in the QUALITY of food im eating. More protein, more veg, and (this will be controversial) - GOOD FATS LIKE REAL BUTTER, COCONUT OIL AND OLIVE OIL (this is science, if you don't know, don't comment) - But still not a lot of fat overall, but enough to stay satiated.

Also trying to do some basic muscle gain by doing squats/pushups/crunches (biggest muscles) - eventually i hope to graduate to actual weights.

I've been trying to lose weight all my life. It's amazing for someone whos knowledgeable about it that i suck at it.

Need more discipline.

My plan (if I can keep it up)

-eat out less

-no french fries (okay, may have them twice a month, but small size, not large)

-less ETOH (alcohol) with my cigars - that's about the only time I drink

-less snacking between meals

Worked before, let's see it work again.

Oh wait, I'm currently heavier now than when I did that diet before. I guess keeping it off will be a challenge too.

Bob

Hey Rob, do you have the contestants' measurements which you are not showing? If so please disregard this post. Otherwise, I just have a thought:

Say someone is 5'5" and 250lbs (and not a musclehead), whereas another is 6'5" and 250lbs. I would have to assume it would be much easier for the former to shed the large fat deposits and bmi relatively to the latter.

This would at least allow for standardization of the contestants based on weight, height, and other measurements. Also would help with tracking changes as people send you updated measurements. The calculation sets are (for xcel):

The formula for men is:

%Fat=495/(1.0324-0.19077(log(waist-neck))+0.15456(log(height)))-450

The formula for women is:

%Fat=495/(1.29579-0.35004(log(waist+hip-neck))+0.22100(log(height)))-450

One of my greatest fears of this comp is stripping too much muscle from my frame. :wink2:

I can see where your formulae is far better to determine the competition winner and we may adopt it for the next round in the second half of the year. However All I really wanted to do is provide some motivation. If I can shed 7-10% of body weight in 6 months I will be celebrating regardless if I win the competition or not. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit and I am sure they will. I doubt any of us are in this specifically for the box of cigars !LOL! it is great motivation but doing it as a group provides plenty of incentive in itself.

Personally, I have cut carbs down to low number each day. I count Red wines in that number so consumption of reds has dropped tremendously. I am eating well, fish 5 times weekly, I am exercising daily (weights/swimming).

Professor Johnny Walker and his Soda team are providing excellent support. ;)

Got into a softball league. Played our first game Thursday night went 2-2 in a losing effort, coach asked if I wanted someone to run for me skinny bastard. Haven't had a beer or soda in two weeks. Trying to keep from eating later then 7 p.m. No gym or calorie counting for me. Best of luck to everyone.

mk05, on 06 February 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

"Say someone is 5'5" and 250lbs (and not a musclehead), whereas another is 6'5" and 250lbs. I would have to assume it would be much easier for the former to shed the large fat deposits and bmi relatively to the latter.

This would at least allow for standardization of the contestants based on weight, height, and other measurements."

One of my greatest fears of this comp is stripping too much muscle from my frame. :wink2:

I can see where your formulae is far better to determine the competition winner and we may adopt it for the next round in the second half of the year. However All I really wanted to do is provide some motivation. If I can shed 7-10% of body weight in 6 months I will be celebrating regardless if I win the competition or not. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit and I am sure they will. I doubt any of us are in this specifically for the box of cigars !LOL! it is great motivation but doing it as a group provides plenty of incentive in itself.

Unfortunately, no formula will appear fair to all types of body habitus. A weight-loss competition to win a box of cigars is not "fair" (nor healthy) for someone who is already underweight. In creating this competition, Rob had to decide what activity he wanted to encourage, and he chose weight loss. This activity is not suited for everyone. But, it is great motivation for us fatties to pursue more healthy lifestyles. Just a reading of the posts in this topic have shown me Rob has already been effective.

Rob, I applaud you for your care and concern of your clientele.

Thank you.

Bob

Having lost over 65lbs in the last 9 months I would like to offer some tips that have helped me.

1) Count calories in some form or another. Losing weight is a numbers game. Your body burns X amount every day. To lose weight you have to take in less. I use Weight Watchers point system but there are free programs and apps out there as well. Counting will help you realize where you are going off track and how you got over weight in the first place.

2) Eat a full breakfast! This was a surprise to me but it makes a big difference. When you skip or go light for breakfast you will trick yourself into thinking it is ok to eat large amounts of food because hey, I skipped breakfast so it is OK. There are studies that show a direct link with skipping breakfast and obesidity.

3) Get moving. You noticed I did not say exercise. I am one of those that detests exercise but you need to increase your physical activity. I now do a lot more fishing and golf. When I go fishing I purposely go to places where I have to hike in. I do other small things like park in the back of the parking lot, walk somewhere if I can, use the stairs instead of the lift, etc...If you are more than a few pounds over weight exercise alone is not the answer.

4) Eat often. Don’t allow yourself to get hungry. See #2.

5) Drink less alcohol. This was tough for me. I am an avid wine drinker with a good size cellar at home. I now only have wine if I have the calories to fit it in. It is more of a treat now. The positive side is I have more $ for cigars!

6) Eat less fast food and processed food. I have almost given up on fast food since there are almost no good options out there. I also have rediscovered making food from scratch. It tastes so much better and is much healthier.

7) Eat more foods high in dietary fiber such as fruits and vegetables. WW gives these things 0 points to get you to eat more. It works. It is almost impossible to get fat from these foods. It costs your body almost as much calories to process them as they are worth.

I have tried all forms of diets and the reason they don't work long term is because they don't address the underlying habits that made you fat in the first place. The only way to change is to really understand how you got there. Once you do that and get into new routines you can finally get control of your weight. They say if you do something for 6 weeks continually it will become a routine. Stick with it and good luck to all!