FOH FAT BASTARD STARTING GRID

...and we are away :clap:

Check out the table for me and let me know if I accidentlaly left you off or stuffed up your starting weights.

Firstly, what a great rolloup of contestants...Bloody Well Done :spotlight:

4 months to change a direction that for many of us has been going on too long.

Let us know what your plans are to make the difference? Diet..what are you cutting back on or cutting out? Sex Diet? are you struggling or focused?

I have to say I feel good right now and cant see any probs making the 4 months. The Leg of KFC was the only setback....along with gallons of wine Thursday night....but they say that you need "Break nights" :lol3:

post-4-0-39725400-1328395266.jpg

Have been skiing. Will start walking in the forest, perhaps in the deep snow like Rocky Balboa. :lookaround:

At the moment both are not fun because of the freezing weather, colder than -20ºC. In April/May the cycling season begins, will drop a lot of weight then.

No white bread anymore, not too much carbohydrate at all. Half plate filled with salad at lunch and less "normal" food. A certain kind of a pillow on my office chair, jogging while sitting. And, I'm a chocolate addict, no more. This is the most difficult restriction - DOH!!! No Coke, oh no! Well, maybe a little sometimes.

Awesome list.

I have started running again and will cross train with spinning/cycling. My "training plan" is more geared toward getting back into shape knowing that the pounds will come off, especially once the weather warms and I can get back to cycling seriously.

As for dietary, less potato chips and cutting out beer completely! scotch has WAY fewer calories. thank goodness we are doing this AFTER football season!

Good luck gents (and ladies, i guess)

I'm trying to eat a little less crap, trying to excersize for 30min each day and eventually get back into cycling around the peninsula each day (only about 18km but that's all I can hope for at this time).

Thanks to prez again for proving this forum for encouragemt and competition. I'm stoked

Good for you.

I suppose we could all do with cutting out a bit of the crap from our diets.

I hope you guys are successful!

The Oz newspaper had an interesting article this weekend about the problems in maintaining weight following a diet. I think that is going to be the biggest challenge for all of us post 1 July. I've had this issue all the time, loosing 10 kgs and regaining it all after a couple of months. :pig:

I've attached scan of the article for those interested. The text is chopped due to the magazine being wider than my scanner, but it's still readable. Article

The key findings on difficulty to maintain weight are also summarized here TheOZ

We will run a comp in the second half of the year to maintain what has been lost.....with a side bet for those who wish to lose more. Closing 1st of January 2013.

Working out the details but reinforcing changing lifestyles. Yes..the KFC, Johnny Walker and SLR Serie A is not the best example to portray ;)

I started lifting weights.I know I will build muscles so I'm not sure if the weight will drop of or not.I quite drinking during the week(ouch)and no more crappy food.I'm also running on the tread mill every day.I have 2 trips to Playa Del Carmen MX. planned so that will be a setback.Thanks Prez. for lighting the fire under my fat a$$. I already feel alot better.

Few tips for fellow fat bastards:

1.) Lift weights! This is the most important thing. It will allow you to spare muscle mass while you lose fat. In some cases you can even build some muscle if you're a beginner.

2.) Cut carbs. Cut all sugars and simple carbs. Eat complex carbs and veggies in moderation.

3.) Eat lots of protein and moderately healthy fats. If you cut all fat from your foods, your body will spare fat. You need to eat fat to burn fat.

4.) Start slowly, don't crash diet. If you cut calories too fast, your body will think it's famine time and try to spare fat.

5.) Eat often and small portions, aim for 6 meals per day. You don't have to be hungry to burn fat.

5.) Do cardio if you have energy. But for weight loss it's overrated. It's much more easy to eat less than burn calories with cardio.

5.) Do cardio if you have energy. But for weight loss it's overrated. It's much more easy to eat less than burn calories with cardio.

This is a great point. I have found that I don't really lose weight until I build up to some pretty serious miles 3-4 days a week of either running (e.g. 7+ miles) or cycling (50+ miles). But again, everything is relative. If you go from completely sedentary to 30-60 minutes of walking/running/spinning/zumba, then you get the same effect.

Also, you have to both eat LESS and do cardio for cardio to help you with weight loss. Otherwise you are merely replenishing what you just burned.

Few tips for fellow fat bastards:

1.) Lift weights! This is the most important thing. It will allow you to spare muscle mass while you lose fat. In some cases you can even build some muscle if you're a beginner.

2.) Cut carbs. Cut all sugars and simple carbs. Eat complex carbs and veggies in moderation.

3.) Eat lots of protein and moderately healthy fats. If you cut all fat from your foods, your body will spare fat. You need to eat fat to burn fat.

4.) Start slowly, don't crash diet. If you cut calories too fast, your body will think it's famine time and try to spare fat.

5.) Eat often and small portions, aim for 6 meals per day. You don't have to be hungry to burn fat.

Im gonna agree with most of this and add a bit to it. Here's the good news guys, its really not all about calories. Really, its not its about hormones! Eating often may be helpful for the first few weeks however this can be difficult to maintain and isnt at all necessary to improve weight loss. Its all about the quality of the food and sleep! If your diet is comprised of grass fed beef, pasture raised pork and fowl, wild caught fish and local organic veggies and their derivative fats its extremely difficult to overeat. These are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet so eat up. And if you cant always buy organic thats fine do the best you can without stressing out. Beyond the carbs from the fresh veggies your eating additional carbohydrates are completely unnecessary unless you are an extremely lean professional power athlete. I should mention that for 2-3 weeks while your body begins to adjust itself to a fat burning based metabolism from a sugar based metabolism energy levels are going to be in the drain. You have to push past that, its in all seriousness for some folks akin to detoxing from hard drugs. And theres a reason for it, the shits not good for you. Carbohydrate have been shown to be equally stimulating to the pleasure center of the brain as cocaine. Fat loss, muscle gain, hair loss, sex drive, etc are all driven by hormones. Easily the most overlooked aspect of all is quality sleep. Sleep regulates hormones, so do yourself a favor and limit unnatural light after sundown and if possible wake up to no alarm. If your window has a bright street light shining through black it out. The reason why all diets fail at some point is that a prolonged state of caloric deficit will cause the hormone cortisol to creep up usually accompanied by a decrease in testosterone.

So for the cliffs notes version: eat the those foods listed above and completely eliminate all grains, legumes, dairy and ideally alcohol. Trust me, I've done just this for 2+ years realizing 1) its the healthiest and most balanced way to live and 2) its damn tasty! You'll find yourself preparing more meals at home and understanding what exactly goes into your food. You'll become a better cook. If your gonna have a drink do so early and nowhere near bed time. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you begin to feel full- its that simple. For 2-3 weeks while your body adjusts from a sugar based metabolism chomp on some macadamia nuts or home made beef jerky to calm the beast. Lift weights 2-3x a week focusing on squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, push-ups, lunges, pull-ups or assisted pull-ups. These large movements stimulate testosterone and growth hormone secretion the most. Go for long walks or even just short 5 or 10 minute walks if your work wont allow for longer. I would seriously caution against doing lots of cardio and really cutting calories beyond the first 3-4 weeks. You do have a window of time where you can capitalize on its benefits however your body will crash in the form of increased cortisol and deranged leptin and ghrelin (hunger control hormones)levels. For more resources on the why's I love marksdailyapple.com as well as robbwolf.com for his food shopping guide. I'll throw out that if anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me, I'd be glad to help. I've helped enough people to know that this is asking a lot- basically making changes to every part of your lifestyle. Like any change in life its not easy but once you get used to it will become second nature in a month or two. Sorry for the rambling I just sincerely hope that I can help at least one of you guys avoid the pitfalls of conventional wisdom.

Here´s my plan to lose weight (and win the competition):

The missus started me off with one week on a Cambridge method diet.

After that we have cut down on mostly all carbs eating very strict according to the LCHF system.

Combine this with 2,5 hours each week of aikido practice.

And once winter has given up (right now we have -10 degrees Celsius) I will add two sessions of jogging every week.

Hardly no alcohol (and definitely no beer) for the first half of the year until summer vacation.

Already 5 centimeters less around the waist. I am on my way.

I am trying not to drink but it is not going well. I already exercise daily so that won't help. Next option is to smoke cigars instead of eating. I have gained 2 pounds since weigh in. Looks like I am trailing out of the gate. My jockey is too tall.

Not in the competition because my wife and I started the "17 Day Diet" back in November.

Am now almost at my target weight.

How the 17 Day Diet Works ( from the link below )

The 17 Day Diet relies on a style of weight loss known as metabolic confusion, which means you're changing up what you're doing on a regular basis to keep your body from settling in to a routine.

Like many popular diet programs, 17 Day Diet is cyclical, using four phases, or cycles, to progress people from start to goal. The diet itself does not actually last a mere 17 days, instead, that is the length of time for each of the four cycles.

Cycle 1: Accelerate. Jump start the program and facilitate rapid weight loss, cleansing, and fat burning. Discourages fat storage.

Cycle 2: Activate. During this cycle you will "reset" your metabolism.

Cycle 3: Achieve. Develop healthy eating habits, and develop a new understanding of how to eat carbs.

Cycle 4: Arrive. Considered the maintenance phase and the culmination of what was learned in the first three cycles. On weekends, you have freedom to enjoy just about anything you like.

Review for the diet here .

i'm currently living the "live like a sloth, eat like a sloth" lifestyle...

Enviable goal.

I would like to be reincarnated as a sloth.

The only negative is the crapping once every two weeks....