Thinking of going to the Habanos festival

I'd really like to go to the festival in 2013 but I'd like to get some advice from guys who've been there before.

What does it cost for the gala evening and the week activities ?

What did you end up paying for hotel, food and drinks for the week ( reasonable drink quantities and average quality food, I'm on a budget...) ?

Can you bring a non-smoking wife and she will have something to do and not complain ?

Did you go alone or in a group ?

Was it worth it ? I can't imagine it wouldn't be...

etc...

Thank you !

Most of the answers to your questions can be found on the Habanos website. The prices/rates, etc. are listed. There are different packages you can get as well. I believe they have rates for the hotels in Havana too.

**these are only the rates for this year's festival. I guess like anything they could go up next year but I guess it's a good starting point anyways**

http://www.habanos.com/festival.aspx?fid=12&mid=94

Personally, I would love to go one day to this festival. I think its worth it for any cigar lover and besides whats the down side? A trip to Havana and smoke a bunch of amazing cigars? ;)

I agree with others. This is too hyped and commercialized now from what I've heard/read. That said, I also agree with the thought of this being a "bucket list" trip.

I'd definitely be game for doing it in 2013. You just KNOW that H S.A. will do something special, as it'll be the 15th anniversary of the festival, and they like their round-number anniversaries and such to be able to trumpet something special or out of the ordinary.

I'd be game for 2013. I'll be planning to have some leave time arranged for then, so pending some disaster happening (thanks for jinxing us, Frank!), I'll be 90% sure.

It would be neat to see this roll into something with that past discussion of an FOH master-class trip.... :innocent:

I like the Festival, this month will be my third in a row. Great time meeting Pres for the first time two years ago.

I even remember bits of it, the rest is in photographs and scars. He was sorely missed last year.

It's not about the official events, it's just that it happens to be the week when there are a lot of cigar smokers and familiar faces about the place.

I recommend the opening event. The food is inedible, the speeches (unless you're an utter nerd for sales figures) instantly forgettable but you'll meet people there and set stuff up, lunches, dinners, gatherings etc. for the rest of the week.

Walk about the shops, you'll bump into people you know, or want to know. Restaurants, nightclubs the same. It's a strange thing, the festival brings maybe 1,200 people into a city of 2 million but I keep bumping into the same people. It's a great time.

This year will be a big one, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes cigars and wants to meet like-minded people.

Don't book a hotel through Habanos or the official sites. Use an agent, it's 2/3 the price.

How much you spend depends on what you want to do but you could live just fine on $100 day excluding accomodation and any cigars you want to bring home.

Non-smokers will have a problem if they don't like cigar smoke, there's a lot of it. As for something to do for non-smokers, if they like people they'll like Cuba.

Hmm...I smell the brewing of some big planned trip with a nice big group here....Whos gonna bring me back cigars? :D

Like there'll be custom's space left? :lol: Everyone no doubt will be getting their full duty free allotment and then some. lookaround.gif

I even remember bits of it, the rest is in photographs and scars. He was sorely missed last year.

It's not about the official events, it's just that it happens to be the week when there are a lot of cigar smokers and familiar faces about the place.

I recommend the opening event. The food is inedible, the speeches (unless you're an utter nerd for sales figures) instantly forgettable but you'll meet people there and set stuff up, lunches, dinners, gatherings etc. for the rest of the week.

Walk about the shops, you'll bump into people you know, or want to know. Restaurants, nightclubs the same. It's a strange thing, the festival brings maybe 1,200 people into a city of 2 million but I keep bumping into the same people. It's a great time.

Couldn't describe it any better Andy !! At the Karl Marx or the National theatre opening events I'd use the speeches to have long good naps :sleeping:

Look forward to meet you there again for more photographs, scars, wild cab rides, rum and cigars !

My experience of the Habanos Festival has been that you survive on practically no sleep, far too much alcohol (which is okay because it's hot), you'll smoke way too many cigars (but that's okay, it's festival week) and occasionally get asked to leave the nightclub because they're shutting up and your singing is annoying them.

You will also occasionally wake up in your own bed (hopefully) in the absolute horrors, stinking of booze, sweat and cigar smoke, wondering what the hell you did last night and why you're bleeding. It's wonderful...

I'd echo what Andy said - the official events are missable unless you're in the cigar business. The opening night is worth going to for the goody bag, meeting up with people and organising stuff for the rest of the week and to be fair, the food wasn't too bad last year (athough the bar service was abysmal.)

Book independently through tour operators, not the festival, or if you really want to save money while staying somewhere nice, rent a Casa Particular for a week (there are lots of websites offering booking services if you don't have a reccomendation.)

They work out at 35CUC per room per night, so if there's a few of you going it makes perfect sense. Budget for taxi's (cheap) Mojito's (cheap) Buccanero (cheap) and 'walking around cigars' (also cheap) and at least two good meals a day (Punch Joe's list of Paladares is fantastic and you can eat a good meal for a very reasonable price.) You should get by on $100 per day, give or take.

The 'taking home' cigars are where the budget goes out the window. Set yourself a realistic budget and try to stick with it. If you're like me, you'll spend 50% more than that once you're there. If you're like Andy, you go saying 'I really don't need any cigars' and come home with half a LCDH in your suitcase.

Ok, now I HAVE to go ... Reading all your accounts and imagining a week with all the gang there AND a master class (never heard about it before but sounds really cool) with the Pres, it sounds like a fantastic time !

So from what I gather, I have to take 2 weeks off, one for the festival and one to recuperate from it at home ?

Nice...

Of all the crazy idea's that we've had over drinks, I think this is by far away the best. That and a cedar-lined Lear Jet...

The suitcase idea sounds great ( personally I take cans and plastic/foil bags to put cigars in for transport ).

About the Lear jet - depending on the number of pax we can also have a bigger jet and smoke our way to Cuba, let me know and I'll check with my former employer. We do charters, have ashtrays on board and there's a button to switch off the NS-signs :nyah:

The suitcase idea sounds great ( personally I take cans and plastic/foil bags to put cigars in for transport ).

About the Lear jet - depending on the number of pax we can also have a bigger jet and smoke our way to Cuba, let me know and I'll check with my former employer. We do charters, have ashtrays on board and there's a button to switch off the NS-signs :nyah:

Damn, now that's flying! :ok: Can you pick us up in Toronto Nino? :lol:

Joking about the suitcase Nino, plastic bags and tupperware for me. A cedar lined suitcase would be nice though..

Out of interest Nino, I priced a jet charter from Dublin to Havana last year. Something that will get the 4000nm or so distance was looking like €170,000 - €200,000.

20 hours flying plus crew overnights, landing fees etc.

If you can get something a little cheaper, say 90% cheaper! There would be a lot of interest if we could split the cost between 10 - 14 of us..

The new Embrauer Lineage 1000 looks very nice though..

Joking about the suitcase Nino, plastic bags and tupperware for me. A cedar lined suitcase would be nice though..

Out of interest Nino, I priced a jet charter from Dublin to Havana last year. Something that will get the 4000nm or so distance was looking like €170,000 - €200,000.

20 hours flying plus crew overnights, landing fees etc.

If you can get something a little cheaper, say 90% cheaper! There would be a lot of interest if we could split the cost between 10 - 14 of us..

The new Embrauer Lineage 1000 looks very nice though..

Andy : for 90% cheaper you'd have to marry me ....... ( still have an old tee saying : "Marry me, Fly free" ) but : I'm married and you're too hairy - good things both :2thumbs:

Now, while an Embraer or Canadair or Global would do the job from Ireland or central Europe for a small group, we'd need a bigger a/c from continental Europe for a larger group ( unless we do a refuelling stop in YYZ with a 737/320 to pick up the canucks ). If you're serious I can get a quote but I believe the minimum pax number would have to be +/- 60 for a B-737 or 150 for a B-7(5)67 / A-330.

Remember though that the price would be x2 as the a/c cannot just be parked in the HAV tarmac waiting for us to finish the 2 weeks of fun ... and flying it to MIA just to have it out of the way doesn't work :cowpoop: