Charcoal or Gas

fishinguitarman

Gas or Charcoal?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use charcoal for fish and special occasion roast meats but other than that you can't beat the convenience of a gas bbq when pressed for time with a family of 5.

If lighting charcoal the normal way (eg firelighters) takes too long, use an LPG weed burner. I've got a small butane one at the moment, but I'll be picking up one for my 9kg LPG tank. lol3.gif

hot-devil-weed-killer_4e977827caae8.JPG

PropaneTorch2006.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^

charcoal all the time gives me time to smoke a Churchill slow indirect gives you an hour or two

Not charcoal, just chunks of hard wood, usually pecan, post oak or mesquite. Directly on the red hot glowing part. Ash doesn't stick because the temp is so hot. 4-5 minutes a side depending on thickne

If lighting charcoal the normal way (eg firelighters) takes too long, use an LPG weed burner. I've got a small butane one at the moment, but I'll be picking up one for my 9kg LPG tank. lol3.gif

hot-devil-weed-killer_4e977827caae8.JPG

PropaneTorch2006.jpg

Exact setup I use! works great

• 3 weeks later...

I use charcoal for fish and special occasion roast meats but other than that you can't beat the convenience of a gas bbq when pressed for time with a family of 5.

For years I swore by charcoal, but under duress from my better half we bought a gas (propane) grill and it is worlds easier to deal with. After our last kid is out of the house I might venture back to charcoal when we aren't so pressed for time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vastly prefer charcoal, but living in NYC it is pretty tough to do.

I don't usually smoke meats, or cook very slowly, so for me a high heat is key.

I have a Wolf Range with an infared grill which uses gas that goes through very small holes in a ceramic plate. This generates really intense heat, perfect for grilling a steak. The grill is much hotter in the front of the grill, so I can do some intense searing of the meat and then slide the steak back to the middle or back of the grill. Here is a picture of a steak on the grill which shows the intense heat under the meat. If I could figure out a way to post a video I could show the grill in action.

URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/142b2c436223453]142b2c436223453.jpg[/url

• 4 weeks later...

Some things are best done over charcoal, and some things are best done with gas grillers.

That's why I have my Weber Rocky Mountain smoker and a Broil King griller

I'll leave it at that to what each likes to cook in what

To light charcoal quickly I have two bucket like containers that you build a small fire under to get it started. It has a wire bottom, and flames rise up through the charcoal. Much better than white cubes, if you have an appropriate back yard. I use a gas flame canister to get a pile of leaves etc flamed up quick.

I use gas to catch the wood (usually Pecan) on fire. Sometimes I just use the wood, or if I am conserving wood, I might use a bit of gas flame in addition to the wood.

I like to cook before the wood has all turned into coals so that I get good smoke output. But the heat can be very uneven, so it takes more care to do this--and it tends to destroy the grill innards. For me, it is worth the trouble.