Punch Sabrosos - MLO JUL 11

asmith

Really Ken.... herbal flavour of Asparagus?? The stalk or the tip?

We all know Ken prefers the tip...

In light of Kens rating of this cigar I wonder if the red wine affects some of these reviews- I always found red wine to kill the flavours and have never found it to pair very well with cigars. I had a similar conversation with some of the guys at my local LCDH and most agreed. I wonder whether a coffee, port or rum would enhance the flavours and produce a better review. Just my thoughts....

In light of Kens rating of this cigar I wonder if the red wine affects some of these reviews- I always found red wine to kill the flavours and have never found it to pair very well with cigars. I had a similar conversation with some of the guys at my local LCDH and most agreed. I wonder whether a coffee, port or rum would enhance the flavours and produce a better review. Just my thoughts....

Really depends on the wine. Minimal Tannin, forward fruit style, plum,Jammy is my preferred style with cigars.

smithy, you dill. that last bit is for a completely different video. still, by the time you edit it, everyone will have forgotten - lisa's kid is now four, by the way. that is how long this took.

and yes. long said that red is not a good match for a cigar. but we keep doing it.

Got the sampler fiver from rob a few weeks back and after viewing the video review on this cigar early yesterday I had to get one out to see who, Rob or Ken, were closer to the mark on it.

I paired this with Perrier. I expected that, given its youth, it would have a bit of an edge to it and it did.

Started out mild medium and got to solid medium before the last third was done.

It had all the common Punch characteristics of nuts, raisins, and cocoa and dry autum leaves with a sharpness that I will attribute to its age.

Overall a very good cigar and if comparing to previous Punch vitolas, I would say that it comes closer to the Punch Black Prince than the Supper Seleccion #2 that Rob compared it to. It was just not as chocolaty and creamy as the SS#2’s that I recall.

I put it at a 90 with great aging potential that will see it notch up a bit higher every year.

No... I repeat No asparagus tasting notes were detected.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...