Partagas Series D No5 - RAL ABR 11

asmith

This review could just as well be for the new E2 equally. Word for word as well. Horrible, the horror of it at the price of a premium. Spot on Terrible Cigar.

Thanks Rob, Smithy, Ken and Artie for being so blunt and concise about it. Like Rob said most people would have chucked it and not even given it to the last 3rd to have any redeeming value at all. I am referring to the E2 here as well . I will pass for sure then on the D5. On a positive note I do like the D4 very well and it is heads and shoulders above the E2. The E2 is a tent peg as well. Glad I only bought a couple of singles to share with friend.

Nice review gents. Smoked several D5 when it was an EL. Nothing special at all. Not worthy to be an EL, not worthy to be a regular production*.

* Considering HSA deletes great cigars but makes crappy ELs as regular production.

Totally Disagree.

The 2008 PSD5 Els were Phenomenal. One of my favorites.

Thanks for the review guys.

I agree that everyone's tastes are different, as the 2008 EL Serie D No.5 didn't do anything for me. Personally I'd rather smoke a longer cigar that I know I would enjoy and let it die out early than smoke a short terrible one.

very cool reviews fellas. I personally was also a fan of the serie d5 LE. Luckily for you Rob, your review is not enough to sway this partagas fanboy away lol...it just conviced me not to smoke any till next summer.

On a different note, I 1000% agree with your statement, Please, Habanos, breathe some life into marca's like Ramon Allones and Diplomaticos. RA has 3 regular production vitolas and yet has 4 RE's in 2011...Diplomaticos is down to the no.2. Do us all a favor, bring back the dip 4 and 5, or like ROb suggested before in another thread...a Robusto RE or something along those lines...

I was reading the newsletter that was sent out and I want the next video review to be this :

"Talking about Baby’s Lisa is due to deliver on December 20th and she is going brilliantly…more gorgeous than ever although still reticent to our request of a Live Video Review from the Hospital Room….we are working on her!"

Make this happen Rob! LOL...you could do a video review of those its a boy or its a girl cigars!

This review could just as well be for the new E2 equally. Word for word as well. Horrible, the horror of it at the price of a premium. Spot on Terrible Cigar.

Thanks Rob, Smithy, Ken and Artie for being so blunt and concise about it. Like Rob said most people would have chucked it and not even given it to the last 3rd to have any redeeming value at all. I am referring to the E2 here as well . I will pass for sure then on the D5. On a positive note I do like the D4 very well and it is heads and shoulders above the E2. The E2 is a tent peg as well. Glad I only bought a couple of singles to share with friend.

Odd, the E2 I smoked had such a loose draw it was like smoking air. Very loose draw, but not much flavor.

It's funny how some cigars have been fantastic ROTT and others haven't. I haven't had a lot of 2011s so far, other than my secretos and hoyo EL, but they've been great. Every 2010 fresh smoked was great that i tried, and Every 2009 was as well, except the PSD4s which were crap imho

I would love to read differing opinions on this cigar. Nothing would thrill me more than to see a host of people do enjoy the 2011 PSD5.

As always, we are not the the "gospel" on cigar reviews/opinion. Just calling it as we see it on the day...The good, the bad and the ugly :rolleyes:

I really do smoke a lot of Partagas, it's good stuff in my book. But with staples within the line like the P2, D4, Lusi, Shorts... I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon so soon on the new stuff. I see no need... speaking for myself. With that being said, I always enjoy the review gents... keep up to tough and grueling work :thumbsup:

I have to say that the Partagas D5 from '08 wasn't a cigar I actually smoked until 2010 and then I felt that it DID have a lot to offer.. I found it to be a complex cigar that gave me loads of flavors that were rich and enjoyable... Haven't tried this year's addition yet and I'll probably let it sit in the humidor for at least a year before I light one. I've purchased boxes of PSD #4's that were a bit harsh when young but settled down to a great smoke after 9 months or so...... I also want to add that I DO like some cigars when they're young, the H. Upmann Magnum 48 for instance was a lot of fun to smoke the year it came out.... Great notes of dried fruit that simply disappeared after a year of aging.. HDM Epicure No 2 and Cohiba Robustos can also be enjoyable when young..... Am I crazy??? Yeah probably, I'd be the first one to tell you, but I just wanted to throw my opinion into the ring.. And YES I do want to try this cigar from Partagas..

I have to say that the Partagas D5 from '08 wasn't a cigar I actually smoked until 2010 and then I felt that it DID have a lot to offer.. I found it to be a complex cigar that gave me loads of flavors that were rich and enjoyable... Haven't tried this year's addition yet and I'll probably let it sit in the humidor for at least a year before I light one. I've purchased boxes of PSD #4's that were a bit harsh when young but settled down to a great smoke after 9 months or so...... I also want to add that I DO like some cigars when they're young, the H. Upmann Magnum 48 for instance was a lot of fun to smoke the year it came out.... Great notes of dried fruit that simply disappeared after a year of aging.. HDM Epicure No 2 and Cohiba Robustos can also be enjoyable when young..... Am I crazy??? Yeah probably, I'd be the first one to tell you, but I just wanted to throw my opinion into the ring.. And YES I do want to try this cigar from Partagas..

No ..you are not crazy biggrin.gif

Again, we can only call it on the day. I am hoping to do a side by side comparison (LE and new reg production) before long. If the original D5 LE was such a dog it would not have sold and it would not become regular production (one would think).

Nothing would give me more pleasure than revisiting the original LE D5 and be able to state that it has transformed into a gem of a cigar.

I know Steve (ozcuban) was a big fan of the LE and bought a couple of boxes - he described them to me as leather and chocolate (from memory) and he kindly gave me one and it was lovely.

I guess with LE's its a bit of pot luck with what box you get...

• 3 years later...

First of all sorry for the necro but I'm interested to see if someone has tried these recently. I just did a box split have some inbound tomorrow so I'd love to hear if they've improved with age. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk