So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

I was at the Ardbeg Night, Dark Cove launch in Sydney a couple of weeks ago..... It was really positively received, and I also loved it. I think it's a top drop and I will stock up as soon as prices soften. The current price for the standard release is higher than the committee exclusive bottling. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

I loved the Dark Cove committee release - haven't tried the regular release yet. The Perpetuum was solid for my taste - not worth the premium over the standard releases, IMO. Haven't had a chance to try the Laga 8.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on Lagavulin 8 vs ardbeg dark cove or perpetuum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed the Dark Cove Committee Release. Haven't tried the non-Committee Release so I am not sure.

Hard for me to choose between the Lagavulin 8 Year Old and the Ardbeg Perpetuum - both are good to me in their own right. Perpetuum is sweeter with more fruit and ashy peat, whereas the Lagavulin is drier with more salt and medicinal, I find.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the Dark Cove Committee Release. Haven't tried the non-Committee Release so I am not sure.

Hard for me to choose between the Lagavulin 8 Year Old and the Ardbeg Perpetuum - both are good to me in their own right. Perpetuum is sweeter with more fruit and ashy peat, whereas the Lagavulin is drier with more salt and medicinal, I find.

Thanks for the info. Is the noncommittee release a larger release?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Is the noncommittee release a larger release?

Now for something completely different: sake in big 1.8 litre bottles.

ad0d4ce49cdbb24f999aaf7047f5f0ca.jpg

Left to right:

- Shichihonyari Junmai Daiginjo Wataribune

- Andosuigun Junmai Daiginjo "Shirakami-no-shizuku"

- Kikusui Junmai Ginjo

When it comes to drink, the Japanese have got the bottle size right.

used to love sake. kikusui is the only one ive tried out of those but hot dayam! it was smooth as silk. i love that stuff.

• Like 1

On June 7, 2016 at 8:18 AM, sengjc said:

I picked up the non-Committee release: 

I'm glad I gave it a try, but for actual value I'd rather have two bottles of Uigeadail for the same $. The Dark Cove is good, but for a sherry Adbeg Uigeadail is just better (those with a more discerning palate may get more from it, but for me Dark Cove has the same sherry/peat/iodine favors as Uigeadail, but less of them). I'm no malt expert, but I know what I enjoy and I've no plans to purchase a second bottle of the Dark Cove (unless a Committee release found its way to me... That I'd love to try!). 

• Like 1

Queens birthday weekend vacation into wine country: Coonawarra, South Australia.

5 litre bottles of the 1998 Hollick Ravenswood - one belongs to a mate.

aa281b9f06cfa9a46e7ac8c31c7d8114.jpg

Plenty of magnums and back vintages available from the cellar doors, priced way below normal retail.

1c537f92176937d3b15280cd2b1d2fb0.jpg

6f607a56926974d008f52c12b362a5fa.jpg

a561daf4b7757d5de2b8dd044f378f56.jpg

94859dda89cd3cf6c103236dacdca272.jpg

Those are some really rare stuff. Very nice.

Yeah we have a group of excellent financially viable friends who are also high end Single Malt enthusiasts.

So I came up with the idea to run Unicorn tastings...

I pick a Closed Distillery and everyone sources a bottle that rates over 90 to share...

It's epic !

Somebody has to drink the last dram

• Like 2

Caol Ila is not that peaty; I think Port Charlotte is a better entry into peated scotch, but it is a nice whisky.

That St. Magdalene is some rare stuff. I can't really justify Brora when peated Clynelish is around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1