Cigar smoke and pets?

I've noticed lately a strange occurrence when I smoke at home. If I fire up a splendid cigar, such as a 898V or a Cohiba Lancero, the dog will get up from her bed and walk over to me, sniff around for a bit, then lie down on the floor near me. Keep in mind usually once she settles down on her bed she won't move unless there's food or I grab the leash to take her out.

I didn't think too much of it until I fired up a dog rocket NC last week and she didn't show up. Then, she showed up yesterday afternoon when I smoked a great PSD4 but once again disappeared when I was smoking a subpar Monte 4.

This has me wondering if my dog is a secret cigar connoisseur ... :yes: and curious to see if any of your pets react the same way lol. Do your pets seem attracted to cigar smoke at all?

• Like 2

Cohiba always comes up and lies next to me when I have a cigar at home.

I have always suspected it was more a case of "bond" than attraction to the cigar. Either way, it is good company :yes:

I' am a butcher by trade so naturally dog are drawn to me lol. What always brings a smile to my face is how my two dogs come running when they hear my cigar cutter. It's more effective than treats or calling them by name. They older pitt is always glued to me when smoking and my female pitt will come by and take a hit of second hand smoke from time to time.

Cohiba always comes up and lies next to me when I have a cigar at home.

I have always suspected it was more a case of "bond" than attraction to the cigar. Either way, it is good company :cigar:

LOL, great name!

My Dobermann does this also. She will sniff the smoke when I am enjoying a fine cigar. A C&C she does not bother with. Typical high maintainence female, LOL. My St.Bernard on the other hand will leave the room.

Funny, to see you guys have noticed this too. My little west highland terrier never wants to go out into the cold but always jumps up to follow me out when he sees I have a cigar, cutter and lighter. Just the click of the lighter opening has his attention. He likes to just hang around while I smoke.

Now, something a bit weird - he likes to eat fallen ash.... :blink: I don;t think it's too good for him :yes:

• Like 1

My treeing walker coonhound will come out a couple of times to investigate what I am doing but does not like the smoke. But then to this point, I have most smoked NCs. He will then lay on a couch in our sun room so that he can keep an eye on me and keep an eye on my wife sitting on the couch in the living room.

My dogs hate cigar smoke. Possibly due to the fact that I use it to get rid of they when they get clingy.

Both dogs will lick up my spit from the deck only when I am smoking a cigar other wise they leave it alone.

Cigar smoke makes my cockatoo sneeze, especially when the cigar is spicy. So, I don't let her to be near me when I am smoking. But if we're talking about watching, touching and picking cigars from a box - well, that's what she loves! I understand her very well, because I also like those activities. A bird like her host, a host like his bird, whatever... :no:

I love this thread. My two dogs differ in their response to my cigars. One doesnt seem to care one way or the other but the other one goes freakin nuts. She usually sits right by me whenever I smoke in the back yard. She waits til Im done then attacks me with licks to my hands and mouth. Soooo funny. If Im smoking a Trinidad, she seems unable to wait and keeps coming up and asking to jump on my lap.

• 3 years later...

My dog always joins me on the deck or in the yard when I am having a cigar, he is the background of many of my cigar photos smile.png

He is an Aussie cattle dog named Dfer (as in "D for dog"). I like him because he doesn't judge me rotfl.gif

post-16865-0-09960500-1414780938_thumb.j

post-16865-0-01517300-1414780985_thumb.j

• Like 3

This is Mika. She likes sitting right next to me when I smoke. There's nothing more relaxing then petting her when I smoke on my back porch. Although I have to be very careful about dropping my ash. She'll eat and lick the remnants off the wood.

MIka.jpg

• Like 2

Damn! I had no idea the dogs would be OK with cigar smell and/or smoke! I've had two dogs that completely hated cigarette smoke and I've know some others too that start to make faces as soon as someone lights up a cigarette. Didn't know they can stand or even feel attracted to cigar smoke. As for their health wouldn't it be a long term problem for their lungs to second hand smoke even if they seem to like the smell of it?

My cat scratches at the ManCave door when I smoke to get in, but she is restless so she'll visit with me for about 10 minutes then want back out, then back in, then back out and so on....

So while she doesn't mind the smoke I usually just leave her in the main part of the house and let her scratch.

so ... every spring we take our dog to get a haircut ... first thing the girl does is give him a bath .

this april as she was bathing him she looked at me and said " when washing a dog i can tell what you cook at home and what you smoke at home " .

nothing to do with this thread but the thread reminded me of when this happened .

derrek