FOH Blind tasting Competition

El Presidente

The results from the blind tasting of Cigar No 1 are now in and I would like to thank all participants on the great response. :D

The Blind Tasting of cigars (as opposed to tasting blind J) is to me the most difficult undertaking by cigar enthusiasts. It is challenging enough when cigars are consistent within a box but as we all know that is seldom the case with Cuban cigars.

Cigar No 1 was from the box code TEU MAY 10

The good news is that we had some winners. Actually 6 winners from 57 participants for a strike rate of just over 10%. Difficult indeed which is in no small part due to the number of Marevas in the Cuban line-up. It should get a little easier with the following Robusto and Piramide.

There is the $500 prize for the person who correctly selects all three. The prize will be split if there are two or more winners. In the event that no–one gets all the cigars correct, we will split a credit amongst those who achieve two out of three correct selections. I look forward to Cigar number 2. I will create a new thread later today (selections to be in by 30th of April).

So with no further delay, here are the selections of the competitors

post-4-1301882185.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there must be a lot of similarity between a Siglo II and the PLPC. Or maybe knowing that it is the almighty Cohiba changes the smoker's perception of the cigar? This is very interesting.

I agree. This competition is very interesting. It's also going to be interesting to see who is able to consistently identify the cigars.

Exciting stuff.

So there must be a lot of similarity between a Siglo II and the PLPC. Or maybe knowing that it is the almighty Cohiba changes the smoker's perception of the cigar? This is very interesting.

...and you would still be wrong :D

Uh Oh, Does that count as my second guess? :lol: Looks like I am out for sure!

the leader board:

PLPC - 14

Bolivar PC - 6

Cohiba Sig II - 6

H Upmann PC - 6

Monte 4 - 6

SLR PC - 3

JL PC - 2

Party PCE - 2

RG PC - 2

RyJ PC - 2

RyJ CD#3 - 2

ERDM PC -1

Fonseca Cosacas - 1

Punch Coronation - 1

RyJ Coronitas - 1

SP NP -1

Very cool. Glad that I got it right (whew!). As per my review on the competition thread, here's the cut stuff that I PM'd to Rob:

Finishing Comments / Overall Impression:
I gave this cigar a somewhat redeemable 83/84, all things considered. The wrapper was beautiful, and on the nose it wasn't half bad. A lot of the issues bringing this cigar down was directly attributable to construction – if the fill was okay, then this cigar seemed to have the makings of a 87 to 91 cigar, just based on the blend profile and it's potential capabilities of this tobacco. If I’m right in my guess of this cigar, I am not surprised as to the reasons why this was a lousy stick, nor of why these reviews are all over the place. Overproduction of this marca, to try to capitalize on the “prestige/esteem” that this brand brings, is yet another example of H S.A. not staying true to keep the founding aspects of some of their cigars on the tried and true path to glory. Instead, they have a habit of branching out production to umpteen different factories, and quality control and consistency go out the window.
I believe this cigar to be a Cohiba Siglo II (tubos or not, who knows – but I might further hazard that these could indeed be from tubos, just based on the variety of reviews and comments found, and the different sticks reviewed being listed as so different from one another sometimes [tubos do have that “mystery” cigar aspect to them, in that they’re a real mix-mash of the production done]).
I have only had a few cigars in the Siglo line from Cohiba (and yet none specifically of the Siglo II before), but I’ve noticed some similar issues in the past. The profile is generally all over the place, and quality, construction and blend issues definitely do seem to crop up. For me, I’m fairly confident that I could rule out a lot of brands based on the profiles – not R&J, nor Partagas, nor Bolivar, and definitely not one of my favoured Monte 4’s. Some of the “lesser known” brands (Juan Lopez, Sancho Panza), I was decently confident that the quality of the wrapper leaf on this cigar and some other aspects negated those. I had a hard time initially deciding if this was what I declare it to be as the Cohiba Siglo II, but based on the other front runners that I was thinking of (H. Upmann Petit Coronas, Hoyo De Monterrey Coronations tubos, and Saint Luis Rey Petit Coronas [although gone]), the hits of honey and grassiness did it for me, combined with some barnyard/hay and old leather aspects. I’ve heard and read reviews of this cigar to have some light pepper and sometimes coffee aspects to it (something that I’ve experienced with others in the Siglo line), but none of that here. Maybe the construction led these flavours to not develop fully. I’m still a bit tossed between this being a Siglo II and an H. Upmann Petit Corona, but I’m 70/30 in favour of it being a Cohiba, so that’s my call on this cigar.

If I’m wrong, then, well, I’ve completely **** the bed on this.

Final Score:
83/84

Total Smoking Time:
40 minutes

Paired Beverage:
Sprite

Date & Time Smoked:
Sunday, April 3rd, 2011, 11:55 pm to 12:35 pm

Thanks for reading my review. Hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Great review Keith. I think you really summed it up well, and congrats on nailing it. It really seams you nailed it based upon it's shortcommings. Very good detective work!

Wow. Mine tasted nothing like the Cohibas I've smoked before. And I knew it couldn't be a PLPC as I've smoked a few of those. Being such a standard "nothing to write home to momma about" cigar, I never would have guessed Cohiba.

My only consolation is... at least I wasn't the only one wrong! :lol:

Rob,

I think you need to have your computer server security settings checked because someone has obviously hacked into your system and change the correct answer of the first myster cigar results. :lol:

Kudos to all the winners, I have to say I really thought I had this one, oh well, humbled again.

Being such a standard "nothing to write home to momma about" cigar, I never would have guessed Cohiba.

Youth of the Cohiba involved?

Congratulations to the 6 winners, well done !!! :lol:

I would never had thought it could be a Cohiba, big green spot on the wrapper,

very poor one sided burn throughout the smoke, didn't even taste like a Corona Gorda, etc etc . :D