There is nothing like home cured bacon

JY0

If you taste this, you will not be able to eat store bought bacon. We make our own. The bacon and ham are air cured with only brown sugar, salt and pepper. They hang in a 100 year old smoke house for about 9 weeks. The hams take 9 months curing the same way.

photo-1-1.jpg

photo-20.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-25.jpg

Bacon...mouthwatering, fat dripping, salty, smokey flavored bacon. Gotta love it!

Very nice! That's a heck of a vacuum packer you have!

I have a friend in the Meat sciences dept. here @ NCSU. Needless to say, we constantly postulate on new experiments to run. One of the more memorable products was a smoked beef, jalapeno, cheddar and mushroom brat. There is usually a supply of country hams around Christmas as well. You need to see this smokehouse. All computer controlled. It feeds the chips in at whatever interval and volume you program.

PM me.

So where do I place my order? I'd take 4 or 5 pounds to start.

Dochowl, try Bringhurstmeats.com. This is the butcher/slaughter house I get all my meat products from. I'm sure he will ship to you. Hickory bacon and pepper bacon are my favorites. Whats in the pasture in the morning is in the freezer case in the evening.

Very nice! That's a heck of a vacuum packer you have!

I have a friend in the Meat sciences dept. here @ NCSU. Needless to say, we constantly postulate on new experiments to run. One of the more memorable products was a smoked beef, jalapeno, cheddar and mushroom brat. There is usually a supply of country hams around Christmas as well. You need to see this smokehouse. All computer controlled. It feeds the chips in at whatever interval and volume you program.

PM me.

PM Sent.

• 2 weeks later...
That is awesome brother. Two questions:

1) Did you fry those eggs in all that bacon fat :D

2) What cigar would you smoke after that heavenly mean

Bravo and well done :daydream:

Even with bacon there is such a thing, as too much of a good thing. :P

I fried the eggs in olive oil.

For dessert....an '08 PLPC, my favorite morning cigar.

• 5 months later...

I kill a couple wild pigs a year and I process all the meat myself. I have tried to make bacon but there's just not enough fat on them. I dry cure the hams and bellies in the fridge for about a month with sea salt, sugar, saltpeter and peppercorns. The hams turn out great but the bacon sucks.

I guess I need to cure them longer?

I kill a couple wild pigs a year and I process all the meat myself. I have tried to make bacon but there's just not enough fat on them. I dry cure the hams and bellies in the fridge for about a month with sea salt, sugar, saltpeter and peppercorns. The hams turn out great but the bacon sucks.

I guess I need to cure them longer?

Definitely two months instead of one. I used kosher salt, pepper and light brown sugar. No saltpeter.