The Ultimate Visiting Cuba Thread.

El Presidente

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a recent list of rollers that was put together. See credits below. Roller || Address || Notes Alejandro Gonzalez Arias || Hotel Comodoro Cigar Shop at 3ra Ave. & Calle 84, Playa || Repla

If you are staying at a casa, call them and ask them if there is anything in particular they need. Also you can't go wrong with basic necessities like toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, clothes

Here is a post from TA I did in response to a guy that had the same question. I talked to him after and the big key is to take a duffle or backpack so you can bypass the baggage wait and you will only

On 4/10/2017 at 4:20 AM, Jimmy_jack said:

How about a day trip? is it possible to go on a Tuesday say, and then back on Wednesday? Is there a miminum time frame I am unaware of?

Here is a post from TA I did in response to a guy that had the same question. I talked to him after and the big key is to take a duffle or backpack so you can bypass the baggage wait and you will only need one change of clothes. Of course without a checked bag, you will be more limited on the amount of cigars you can take out. Honestly, you will miss a lot doing that and if you add a couple days you will be much happier. :)

Let me spitball some potential hurdles you are going to run into or need to plan for:

Immigration line could be 30-1hr wait

It could be up to another hour to get your bags

Line to exchange money could be 1 hour in terminal 3 But if you are flying southwest you will arrive in terminal 2 and can exchange your money with the taxi drivers for 90% on the dollar. In terminal 3, go upstairs to the departures and there are 2 money exchanges that have MUCH smaller lines than downstairs.

You still have to get to your casa. Where is it located and how much time going to and fro will it eat up

The tobacco factory you probably should to go to is Partagas, but their tours are ran only about 4 hours per day. And you cannot buy the tickets there, you must go to a tourism desk at a hotel and buy it, so you have to plan for that.

The rum, the best you can do in the city is the Havana club museum and I think they stop running tours around 4-5pm.

The only option you really have is to stay in Old Havana. (Only option based o what he wanted to do and visit to maximize time) Old Havana is not Havana, but you will get some history there.

You will need to be at the airport by at least 4pm (for this guy's 6pm flight) which mean the latest you can leave havana for the airport is 3-3:20pm.

Meal times are always a little longer because of the poor service in general that they give there.

You plane could be delayed.

If you do do this, you will need to plan the hell out of it and be extremely precise. Get your hook ups before you go because searching on the ground will eat up more time.

If you can, dude, add 2 more days. You big fixed costs are already there, and just throwing on 2 more days will make a world of difference.

Good luck man.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Great thread! Hoping to go there in Feb 2018 for the festival!

• 5 months later...

Finally H.Upmann will get their robusto, to be presented at the upcoming festival. Tobacco from the (early) 2011 harvest from what I understand (consecha 2010 as the locals denotes the harvest).

The coffee was more interesting than the cigar.

20171226_101120.jpg

• Like 1

After the normal airport procedure of taking your lighter at exit, I planned to have a last cigar before returning to zero degrees.

No more. They closed down the gas chamber 8 months ago.

You better smoke while you can!

20161227_145557.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

American has 5 flights a day out of Miami to Havana. You could go on the 7am flight and come back on the 9pm flight the next day. All of the obstacles mentioned above will be there waiting for you and no one in Cuba knows how to use a watch. American doesn't say much about carry-ons, except for the physical size. You will be looked over with a fine toothed comb on your way out. Only bad guys stay 24hrs. John 

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say a BIG thanks for the thread as I learned a lot to hopefully get there and finnally experienced to go on the Cuban soil.

Many thanks to FoH Members to share all that knowledge and tips for the best trip experience.

Merci !

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, Jimmy_jack said:

How about a day trip? is it possible to go on a Tuesday say, and then back on Wednesday? Is there a miminum time frame I am unaware of?

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I am curious if you ended up doing your quick trip?  If so, how was it?

I am doing it myself next year.  Family will be in Orlando for 1 week.  I plan to sneak a quick overnight trip into Havana.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:13 PM, moy71 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I am curious if you ended up doing your quick trip?  If so, how was it?

I am doing it myself next year.  Family will be in Orlando for 1 week.  I plan to sneak a quick overnight trip into Havana.

The law for bringing back cigars is a stay of 48 hours.  If you stay less than that, you are subjected to being taxed on all your purchases.  No $800/100 cigar exception.

21 hours ago, Monterey said:

The law for bringing back cigars is a stay of 48 hours.  If you stay less than that, you are subjected to being taxed on all your purchases.  No $800/100 cigar exception.

Super likely no one is gonna check or care. FWIW - As someone who has personally brought back a few grand worth in many trips since 2016 and even had a bout with Cuban Customs on the way out with hundreds of sticks, I’ve never had an issue. Better have receipts tho. That’s super important.

26 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

Super likely no one is gonna check or care. FWIW - As someone who has personally brought back a few grand worth in many trips since 2016 and even had a bout with Cuban Customs on the way out with hundreds of sticks, I’ve never had an issue. Better have receipts tho. That’s super important.

We are just talking about customs in the US.  And yes, they have access to your flight records.  Course if you just buy 4 boxes, and confirm that you stayed under the limit when going thru customs, you are probably fine.  However, if you have more and are pulled over to evaluate your tax amount, they will nail you.

I just speak the law and what could happen, not "what you may get away with"

5 hours ago, Monterey said:

We are just talking about customs in the US.  And yes, they have access to your flight records.  Course if you just buy 4 boxes, and confirm that you stayed under the limit when going thru customs, you are probably fine.  However, if you have more and are pulled over to evaluate your tax amount, they will nail you.

I just speak the law and what could happen, not "what you may get away with"

I hear ya, and I’m simply speaking from what has happened to me. Not what may happen. Our Customs folks give zero care when coming back in my experience. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moy71 said:

i only plan on buying a "token" box of 10 cigars.   More a memento than anything else.

You have no worries. Enjoy your jaunt! I’ll be there on the 25th and again in October. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 6:37 AM, Ethernut said:

You have no worries. Enjoy your jaunt! I’ll be there on the 25th and again in October. Looking forward to it.

Im going back in mid-May. If you can, let me know what stores you went to and if you found any LE's.

3 hours ago, SOFLO88 said:

Im going back in mid-May. If you can, let me know what stores you went to and if you found any LE's.

Happy to, I think @Corylax18 and a few of us are looking to hit a bunch of stores. I don't typically buy LE's but will look 'specially for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully I'll be at the Commodoro within 2 hours of landing!! We'll definitely check out some more shops during the trip though. 

2 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

Happy to, I think @Corylax18 and a few of us are looking to hit a bunch of stores. I don't typically buy LE's but will look 'specially for you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Hopefully I'll be at the Commodoro within 2 hours of landing!! We'll definitely check out some more shops during the trip though. 

I appreciate it. The last time I was there, I stayed neat Hotel Libre and went there first. This time around, Im staying closer to the Partagas factory. I can't wait to see what you guys come back with. You guys plan on stopping at any rooftop bars? If you haven't been, magic flute is a good one with a great view.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moy71 said:

Does anyone know  if the tour of the Partagas factory runs every hour on the hour or other times?  

Partagas Factory has been closed for years. Your best bet for a tour is at the La Corona factory.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:14 AM, bundwallah said:

Partagas Factory has been closed for years. Your best bet for a tour is at the La Corona factory.

I could have swore it was the Partagas factory I toured in Feb when I was there.  Depending on the language group you are interested in you may have to wait for just a short but they seemed to be running them thru pretty quick.

Partagas.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Corona said:

I could have swore it was the Partagas factory I toured in Feb when I was there.  Depending on the language group you are interested in you may have to wait for just a short but they seemed to be running them thru pretty quick.

Partagas.jpg

Looks like the entrance. They must've started up the tours again. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Corona said:

What!?!? Where you at Calle Industria 520, behind the Capitolio? Last I heard, they were going to turn the building into a hotel! haha. The article is from November, but a lot can change in 6 months. Where they rolling cigars, how was the tour?

https://www.cigarjournal.com/old-partagas-factory-building-to-house-hotel/

https://www.cigarjournal.com/once-upon-a-time-a-warehouse-at-calle-san-carlos-no-816/

4 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

What!?!? Where you at Calle Industria 520, behind the Capitolio? Last I heard, they were going to turn the building into a hotel! haha. The article is from November, but a lot can change in 6 months. Where they rolling cigars, how was the tour?

https://www.cigarjournal.com/old-partagas-factory-building-to-house-hotel/

https://www.cigarjournal.com/once-upon-a-time-a-warehouse-at-calle-san-carlos-no-816/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d680233-Reviews-Partagas_Cigar_Factory-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Best I can tell you.

The old factory is closed.  This is the newer improved version I guess ;)