I want my BFC

In Frenchkiwi's thread on cigars that are not delectable but deletable, he describes Cohiba Behikes and such as...

...the death of communism rolled into a cigar...
:) Brilliant!

But oh, I am alarmed by the distaste for larger ring gauges expressed in that thread... (don't listen to 'em, HSA!) (But yes, listen to 'em on Opens and Wide Churchills.) I like Big Fat Cigars. They burn bigger and cooler, and offer more volume and time. I used to disdain the skinny ones for this reason, and never bothered with anything under 5x46. Then I discovered PLPC, and have since changed my mind on the little 'uns. But I still think the Toro size - c.6x50 - is the "ideal": the size of cigar that sets the benchmark for a blend. I read somewhere that such is the size most makers use to decide on new blends - is that true?

I totally disagree but I say to each his own. There is tobacco a plenty to fill all sizes of cigars. For me the magic is based around the 42 ring. I prefer the smaller rings to the behemoths. Does this make you wrong? Certainly not, as there is an ass for every seat. I could do without your 50 ring favorites but why should you? You shouldn't. I say bring back the sizes to fit the niche markets and make all your customers the most important customers.

A bail of tobacco can be replaced. A customer gone may be gone forever! Cheers, -Piggy

I believe the Robusto sets the benchmark for the blend of a cc, but I could be wrong.

I am a lover of smaller RG cigars (42-46). IMO, they pack more flavor. Larger RG cigars, I find more mellow and generally boring.

nothing inherently wrong with a Fat Bottomed... cigar from time to time especially if you are a saxophone player and you have a Huge... puff so that you can... inhale them without too much effort.

eg i had a Bolivar 5at Avenida 50 x 18.4 (7.2") recently c/o Trevor Leask and it was fine for watching a full rugby game without paying too much attention to the cigar. I do find that the big RGs tend to have less intricate flavours though, and for my natural draw they have to be virtual wind tunnels so that i don't have to puff myself silly to get at the smoke. Which again reduces the flavour somewhat. Pity but there has to be physical limitations somewhere! But perfect for those long social occasions where talking/watching gets in the way of cigar love.

a cigar for every occasion... (just had a "tiny" juan lopez patricia whilst weed-killing for 1/2 hour - did the trick nicely)

While I certainly appreciate some smaller rg cigars, the sdc 3 in particular, I still find myself smoking too fast thus heating up the little fella. The robusto is the vitola that I reach for the most. Give me a psd 4 or coro any day and I am a happy camper.

*42 ring gauge is OK if you just want a quick short smoke. My likes are lonsdales to corona gordas. If I want more, then a pyramide; not only do you pack a lot of tobacco in a fat size smoke, you also have the tip tapering nice and neat to fit COMFORTABLY in the mouth!! :P:lol: