Best Pizza?

For the penultimate NY pizza it is probably a toss up between Grimaldi's and Lombardi's....

My family is entirely Italian-Americans from New York, but I've lived in both NYC and Chicago. In New York, I lean towards Lombardi's, but both are great. They're so similar though, that I have never understood why people wait for 45 minutes or so to eat a Grimaldi's pie when Lombardi's is just acress the bridge. When I see that line, it makes me laugh.

As for Chicago, I never really liked the deep-dish style -- it's more like a casserole than a pizza to me. Nancy's in Lakeview makes a very good pan pizza. Piece makes a good thin crust, as does Gigio's. But I'll never understand why some places in Chicago cut a round pizza into squares. Always had to remember "slices not squares!"

Now in Atlanta, I eat at Antico or Varasano's. The recent proliferation of Neopolitan-style pizza has been very good for me.

*Well, speaking of pizzas overseas, there was a restaurant in walking distance of downtown Neckarsulm (inside of Heillbronn) in Germany where I was stationed in 1978. I will always remember the "Pizza mit ei" or pizza with egg in the center that drove me crazy with delight. While I will never be able to recall the name of the restaurant, I do have great and fond memories of having my language translation book with me and our waiter taking it too to look for appropriate English-German/vice versa wording. I would take all my buddies with me to that place often and one evening upon leaving, our waiter waved his hand in sort of back & forth stop signal motion and told us, "Tsee yu laterrr!" It was really cute, cuz nobody spoke the others' language at that time, everything was done in gestures and pointing! :D:buddies:

Like cigars, I am low-land pizza guy. I love pizza and my girth proves it! As long as the sauce is well seasoned, the crust is not like Wonderbread, the meats are robust... I'll take two! You might say the more sophisticated it is, the less I like it. Oh... and bait fish don't belong on pizza!

I don't have a favorite. It is easier to find fresh sushi around here than it is to get a good greazy pizza. -Piggy

Just for the record, what you describe is not a Pizza but something that is called Flammkuchen/Tarte flambée and the topping should be crème fraîche and the meat should be lardon. Its not from Italy instead it comes from Alsace and get them either in France or in Switzerland, its one of my favorit "fast" food.

It definitely wasn't creme fraiche. I've had tarte flambee (wife's family lives in France) and it was quite different.

When in NYC I really like Lombardi's.

I love UNO's downtown Chicago(different than the chain stores by far) BUT if you are looking for something out of the norm and pure pizza heaven go to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark and get yourself a "bowl" of pizza, frickn' unreal! Also if you're into just straight up Chicago eats and you wanna know what the connoissuers like check this out Chicago Eats!

LA: 1. Mulberry Street (BH or Encino), 2. Vincenzo's (not sure if it's the same mentioned on page 1, as there are a few)

Best I've ever had - a small little family owned place in Como, IT. Four fresh cheeses, non-round finish. Very rustic and ridiculously good.