Your Cigar of the Year 2010

Ground rules.

You can only name 1 cigar as your best, with 1 alternate/runner-up.

My best: Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (mid 2009 and 2010 boxes)

Alternate: Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 (early 2010 boxes)

For me, the RASCC, has been a stellar performer, very consistent from box to box, and able to provide great flavours in a short time. Don't have much time to smoke very long cigars nowadays, so i've turned to the shorter ones more and more (robusto and smaller). The RASCC has never let me down, over the whole year.

1st: Bolivar Corona Gigantes (07)

Runner up: Hoyo de monterrey Regalos LE (07?)

A year is a long time in the world of cigars! Was smoking about 6-7 a week at the start of the year (our summer) and slowed to maybe 1 or 2 max during winter.

Had the Bolivar in spring like september'ish and the Regalos in feb.

The bolivar had amazing balance and was smooth and medium bodied, a class act. I love the bolivar flavour profile.

The Regalos had amazing complexity with flavours from chocolate to pepper to meat. What cuban cigars are about IMO.

I considered a lot of fine cigars, but then it dawned on me that there is one stick that I reach for when I want a reliable, satisfying smoking experience:

The Partagas 898 Varnished. I've got stock from late 2005 through 2009, and they're all good. Sometimes I prefer a well-aged one, sometimes something a bit more "intense". Never disappointed.

Runner-up. I agree with Dicko that the Hoyo Regalos EL is a great cigar. Strong, rich and complex, I liken it to a good chocolate chip cookie with crushed peppercorns. And these get better as they age.

Not buying into the hype... But seriously, the Cohiba Gran Reserva rocked my world each time I smoked it.

Second and a close runner up would be a particular box of Trinidad Robusto Extras that I smoked. I had no idea how good those cigars are. They are now my favorite regular smoke.

Best cigar of 2010: Partagas Lusitania (09)

2010 Runner Up: Bolivar Corona Extra (07)

This is hard for me being new to the cc world Ian still in the sampling mode and have probably only had a handful of double and triple sticks. I would have to say a ten year old Monte A was pretty wicked , really when I finished smoking it I was like ok god you can take me now. It was very smooth and creamy and some what complex that I wanted more, but after 2 1/2 hrs of smoking I was completely satisfied. I have a Lusitania waiting in my humidor which iam told is better.

My runner up for the year is probably a Partagas series p #1. I smoked probably 6 of these fellas and loved every single one. Contemplated about buying a jar.

Honorable mention to ryj wide and slr a.

Best was a Monte robusto from the jar. These keep getting better and better and I only have three left. Really was a great experience smoking that cigar this year. One of the best cigars that I have ever smoked. Runner up may be Mag 48's. I have smoked a box and did not have a bad one. All were steller, just too short. Worst may have been New Years Eve. Had a Mag 50 tubo that was rolled horribly. Draw was like a wind tunnel and burned like crap. Kept going out, was very frustrating since it was my after dinner cigar and the rest of my stash was back at the hotel.

So many good cigars this past year. Hats off to the HQ/PSP program. I believe they are helping to achieve many good samples. Now that my brown nosing is done, onto my picks:

1. JL2 2007 - unfortunately, only one of the 25 was a 94 pointer, but boy was that an amazing example of complexity, richness, finesse and flavor. I have a bunch of late 09's resting and a box of the infamous 2010's looking for that lighting in a bottle again.

2. H.Upman Mag 50 Tubo (3 Pack). I had to dust some light mold off of each one, and they stank of barnyard. Intense stonefruit bombs of flavor. I am still chasing another sample of Mag50 that comes close. If I find em again, I'll stock up!

Very hard decision between these two examples, but the JL had more complexity and change. Early 09 Boli PC was in the hunt, but just not in this range yet...mag 46 has been consistently great, but just not as mindblowing.

My best was by far the Partagas Serie du Connaiseur no 2 from -07.

The runner up must be the Diplomaticos no 6 from the early -80´s.

My cigar of the year was definitely a 1970 Cuban Davidoff No 1. :lifepreserver: It was an exquisite experience. Even 40 years after it was rolled it still had some strength and the flavours were complex. Now, this isn't exactly a regular production cigar anymore, so my runner up is the Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios.