Cohiba Atmosphere Lounge in Cancun

My wife and I are going to Cancun January 9th-16th. Of course I chose this location because of the Cohiba Atmosphere Lounge that is located there. We are staying at the Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, my wife is concerned about travel advisories for Mexico and US citizens being abducted. Does anyone know how far the Lounge is from the Hotel, or if it is relatively safe in Cancun. From experience I have found the media to be very unreliable in its reporting.

Thanks Guys,

I was recently in Mexico and was planning on going. Unfortunately, there is no reliable map to the place. A look on Google Earth shows you this. (see street view)

Cohiba Atmosphere Cancun

Not very appealing is it? :P I'm sure its an outdated map but in this day and age there is no excuse for not putting out clear instructions. Their Facebook page is of no help either. FB Cohiba Atmosphere

Their official website: www.cohibaatmospherecancun.com.mx doesn't even come up. :)

In the end. I didn't bother going. I had 20+ CC's with me, the resort had gourmet food and the drinks were flowing nonstop. If you do manage to find the place, take some photos and write a review.

My wife and I are going to Cancun January 9th-16th. Of course I chose this location because of the Cohiba Atmosphere Lounge that is located there. We are staying at the Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, my wife is concerned about travel advisories for Mexico and US citizens being abducted. Does anyone know how far the Lounge is from the Hotel, or if it is relatively safe in Cancun. From experience I have found the media to be very unreliable in its reporting.

Thanks Guys,

Used to worry about this..

But really badness can happen anywhere...

So enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Take loads of pics to share ...

All the best.

I was recently in Mexico and was planning on going. Unfortunately, there is no reliable map to the place. A look on Google Earth shows you this. (see street view)

Cohiba Atmosphere Cancun

Not very appealing is it? :unsure: I'm sure its an outdated map but in this day and age there is no excuse for not putting out clear instructions. Their Facebook page is of no help either. FB Cohiba Atmosphere

Their official website: www.cohibaatmospherecancun.com.mx doesn't even come up. :cofcig:

In the end. I didn't bother going. I had 20+ CC's with me, the resort had gourmet food and the drinks were flowing nonstop. If you do manage to find the place, take some photos and write a review.

Turn the view around and look right across the road :lol:

Been going to PdC about an hour south of Cancun for a number of years and will be there in both Jan and Feb this year. I have no worries traveling that part of Mexico and have taken a bus from PdC to Cancun and then shuttle to the LCDH a couple times. Never been a bit concerned. Haven't been to CA, but I second the LCDH being very nice, with a good selection. Mex taxes are high so be prepared to pay well over internet prices. I usually bring my own and pick up a few more at the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the skinny on the Cohiba Atmosphere Lounge in Cancun...yes it is dead. It apparently only opened for a short time, the location was terrible, close to the airport but far from the hotels. I spent every day at La Casa Del Habano (David's coke trick is awesome, he taught my wife how to do it). I have included a few shots to enjoy, by the way the leafs that I'm holding are the infamous Medio Tiempo. Also the stack of boxes you see has now left the safety of Cancun and is headed to SW Florida. David the owner was Fantastic (as was the other David, the bartender). A true smokers vacation. I actually was able to get 2 boxes of the original Trinidad Fundadores from 1998.

post-6377-1295571669.jpg

post-6377-1295571767.jpg

post-6377-1295571894.jpg

post-6377-1295571960.jpg

Nice pics, and looks like some nice grabs!!! I'm not sure about the Monte Opens though!!! :D:D

Great job on the original Fundy's grab. I'm looking to pick up a box or two during my upcoming Cuba trip. If I'm able to grab some, and not find some older stock maybe, give me a PM to let me know if you'd want to trade a few sticks. I'd love to compare the newer Fundy's to the older stuff - it's been ages since I had one, and I wasn't really at a place in my enjoyment of this to fully appreciate it back then.

How'd you like the LGC RE Cuba? I'm looking to grab a jar or two of those also, and wonder what you think?

Nice pics, and looks like some nice grabs!!! I'm not sure about the Monte Opens though!!! :D:D

Great job on the original Fundy's grab. I'm looking to pick up a box or two during my upcoming Cuba trip. If I'm able to grab some, and not find some older stock maybe, give me a PM to let me know if you'd want to trade a few sticks. I'd love to compare the newer Fundy's to the older stuff - it's been ages since I had one, and I wasn't really at a place in my enjoyment of this to fully appreciate it back then.

How'd you like the LGC RE Cuba? I'm looking to grab a jar or two of those also, and wonder what you think?

I knew someone was going to call me on the Monte Opens!! :D :D :D There is a method to my madness, this box is very interesting, the wrappers were extremeley dark, almost a maduro shade. I asked David if he had ever seen this before and he said no, it was very unique. When they get home I'll post a photo of them. I'll be glad to swap a few of the original Fundadors, my experience with them is a very inconsistant draw, but if it did draw well the flavor is great. I had a stick in Mexico that did draw well and it was great. The LGC was much more full and spicey than I expected, complex but a little green. The jar is stunning.

Nice pick up on the Fundadores and the LGC Delicias. I have to say though...I was more impressed with the jar than I was with the cigar. As you said...the jar is stunning. It looks like you had a great time. I'm headed to Mexico myself in a few weeks...unfortunately a different spot as the LCDH in Cancun seems to have an awesome selection of smokes. I'm hoping J&J Cabo will have likewise.

Nice pick up on the Fundadores and the LGC Delicias. I have to say though...I was more impressed with the jar than I was with the cigar. As you said...the jar is stunning. It looks like you had a great time. I'm headed to Mexico myself in a few weeks...unfortunately a different spot as the LCDH in Cancun seems to have an awesome selection of smokes. I'm hoping J&J Cabo will have likewise.

I agree with you about the LCG Delicias, it was a powerfull smoke that was a little unbalanced, I am looking forward to aging these in the jar and seeing if that smooths them out a bit. I think it is cool to have a Regional Edition that says "Exclusivo Cuba" on it. Makes me fell like I am breaking the law twice instead of just once with other Cubans...

Great Pics!!!

My Bestfriend is getting married today and for his present im sending him and his wife to Cancun next week for his honeymoon. Hopefully they can make a few stops at LCDH Cancun. Great selection of cigars, to be honest I actually like the Monte Open Regata.

BY the way what three cigars were you smoking at once, insane :D

Jose

Great Pics!!!

My Bestfriend is getting married today and for his present im sending him and his wife to Cancun next week for his honeymoon. Hopefully they can make a few stops at LCDH Cancun. Great selection of cigars, to be honest I actually like the Monte Open Regata.

BY the way what three cigars were you smoking at once, insane :D

Jose

Actually, they were playing with new blends, the cigar on the right has mostly Medio Tiempo leaf, and the others have varying degrees of it. They were fantastic, by far the most I have smoked at once :lol:

• 2 years later...

Thanks Guys,

Mexico is a dump these days. I was just in TJ when staying in San Diego they have US Military all over the streets down there. I have friends that got back from Cabo and they had a great time no problems. They own a home down there and the entire area is a resort. Cancun is a different story. I was there about 5 years ago and I will never go back. The cops down there are just looking for Gringos to bust. I was robbed not once but 3 times down there by cops. Mexico is a joke. The cops can do as they please it's their word against yours. If you don't pay them off for basically walking down the street they could lock you up and throw away the key. I think is a beautiful country and the people are great but to me its not worth the risk with the unstable government and drug thugs running around. I would feel safer in Iran and that is no joke.

Mexico is a dump these days. I was just in TJ when staying in San Diego they have US Military all over the streets down there. I have friends that got back from Cabo and they had a great time no problems. They own a home down there and the entire area is a resort. Cancun is a different story. I was there about 5 years ago and I will never go back. The cops down there are just looking for Gringos to bust. I was robbed not once but 3 times down there by cops. Mexico is a joke. The cops can do as they please it's their word against yours. If you don't pay them off for basically walking down the street they could lock you up and throw away the key. I think is a beautiful country and the people are great but to me its not worth the risk with the unstable government and drug thugs running around. I would feel safer in Iran and that is no joke.

I'm sorry that you had a bad time down there, I have been going to Cancun, Cabo and other places down here in Mexico and never had a problem. I know that there are problems within my country, but you make it sound like its the end of the world down here. You have to be careful in some places that's true, but that applies almost anywhere in the world. Most of Mexico its good, and without a problem.

Have a taco man :D

Also this thread is from 2010, do we really need to revive it just to criticize my country?

I have been to Mexico lots. It has been a few years since I was near Cancun and yes there were speed traps for tourists. Some towns on the way to Florida survive on speedy Canadians rushing to their Florida get aways in the winter. I have a friend who is from Mexico City and he returned from a reunion after 10 years away. His comment is stay away from the drug routes and you should be fine. Allot of countries south of the US have crime issues due to poverty so it pays to be smart and not flash money or jewelry around. My brother lives on the west coast of Mexico and one of his favorite stories is being 'held up' one night walking home from the bar. Two young Mexicans asked if he had any money. he replied he just left the bar and was broke. They felt bad for him and offered him a beer!

The one country I felt 'safe' was Cuba. I walked all around Havana with a $4000 camera and never once felt at risk. At times I did have 3 police officers following me to ensure no one did a ****** and grab :} .

I for one love going to Mexico. From driving down to TJ when I was a teenager to taking my family to Cabo or Cancun, it's always been fantastic. There is so much culture there. The people are great, the food is astounding. Sure there are problems in parts of Mexico, but I've been to places in the states like: New York City, Los Angeles, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Philadelphia, to name a few...where I've encountered problems as well. It's not the place so much as a handful of people in these places. It's the same anywhere. When traveling, always exercise precaution...whether you are in Mexico or Monte Carlo...it never hurts to be cautious.

I'm sorry that you had a bad time down there, I have been going to Cancun, Cabo and other places down here in Mexico and never had a problem. I know that there are problems within my country, but you make it sound like its the end of the world down here. You have to be careful in some places that's true, but that applies almost anywhere in the world. Most of Mexico its good, and without a problem.

Have a taco man biggrin.png

Also this thread is from 2010, do we really need to revive it just to criticize my country?

I am sorry I have never been assaulted by police anywhere on my travels and I have been all over the world. When I was in Cancun I was basically assaulted by the federales or whatever they call them down there and they robbed me. It happened 3 times in a one week period. To me its not worth it. Again beautiful country and great people but your government is so beyond corrupt its not even funny. Not that the USA isn't but its still pretty safe.