Internet Hit in Ireland

OK, I need some opinions.

This forum is as good a place as any as an international sounding board and I'd like to know what people think of this.

A little background, the Rubberbandits are a DJ/Singer/Comedy group supposedly from Limerick, areas of which have issues with drugs and stories of horse-ownership..

This video has had 1.9 million hits on Youtube in the last 6 days. I think by far the most popular Irish video on that site yet.

What I'd like to find out is does this stuff travel?

Do you "get" this?

Do you find it funny, not funny, silly, offensive or unfathomable?

The link at the bottom is the song with printed lyrics but it is worth watching the video first.

Some translations might br handy for some. A "shift" in Ireland means "making out" in American. A "bag of yokes" is a bag of Ecstasy tablets.

Strong language warning so headphones advisable if sensitive people/children around.

Song with lyrics

Thanks for any opinions on this.

:buddies:

i tried it as is first, then with the lyrics in case i missing something.

i regret to say that it did absolutely nothing for me at all.

off to my irish cousin-in-law's tonight for chrissy drinks. i'll find out what he thinks.

There is a lot of a young Irish Bruce Springsteen in this guy.

It's the blue dress chicks that I was looking at.

Reminded me of how mesmerized I was looking at the hair slicked-back, tight dress, heavy make-up wearing, guitar wearing chicks that was in Robert Plant's video "Addicted to Love."

Thanks for the replies guys. As I thought, this is the kind of stuff that doesn't travel well.

Personally I find it very funny, though I'm not exactly sure why and I think that's the same for most people who find it so.

It's a satirical take on a certain type of person from Limerick, performed with quite a catchy tune with some funny lyrics. Done before plenty of times but this particular one seems to strike a chord, another 200,000 hits on Youtube in the last 12 hours.

And I agree, that bridesmaid is a good looking girl.

As a friend of mine says "Nice top, aren't they."

I like that the guys think that Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi are crap cars but why would any chick go for a guy with a plastic bag on his head, wearing joggers with a suit and rides a horse??

A cultural reference Smithy, that I think is destined to be lost in translation. In the same way that pockets of cultural exceptions the world over have unique issues that distinguish them from the societal norm, the Rubberbandits are highlighting a subculture in a large provincial town and their personal preferences that mark them out as an exception to the average.

The next time you're over, I'll introduce you to Limerick... And of course, Mullingar. You might just get the irony (though I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, this is a music video aimed at a specific demographic i.e. Irish people who currently live in Ireland.)

It's odd, I grant you that.

A cultural reference Smithy, that I think is destined to be lost in translation. In the same way that pockets of cultural exceptions the world over have unique issues that distinguish them from the societal norm, the Rubberbandits are highlighting a subculture in a large provincial town and their personal preferences that mark them out as an exception to the average.

The next time you're over, I'll introduce you to Limerick... And of course, Mullingar. You might just get the irony (though I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, this is a music video aimed at a specific demographic i.e. Irish people who currently live in Ireland.)

It's odd, I grant you that.

I should point out after all that - I find it awesome!

We have the same knd of guys where I come from,and this is obviously a piss take of them.

And also of the vacuous ladies that are impressed by them,leaving the singer without a "shift"!

Reminds me of an ebay add for a vauxhall nova that had been souped up.

The seller had got it as part of a part ex,and in quite a poetic manner he described what the young "chav" could do with it,ie

Cruising round macdonalds carpark all night.

Fit 3 exhausts so it sounds like a ferrari.

Fit blue lights to the wipers.

fit a bodykit and spoiler,and huge bass bins that rattle the whole car like hell .........

this guy went to great lengths to describe the demographic,including getting your 15 year old cousin pregnant etc......

Vid was very funny Ryan.

Can't agrue with that. She definitely is a nice sort. Her name is Madeline Mulqueen.

Uhhhhhhh. HOT DAMN!!!!

Just finally watched the whole video. Funny as hell! I get the sarcasm - hey, us frozen Canadians do have a bit of a funny bone to us! :)

But wow - I watched that video a second time just for her. HOT DAMN!!!!

EDIT - ****, I can't believe that Piggy hasn't piped in on this yet....a video with great breasts, and horses in the video too no doubt!!! :thumbsup:;)